Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NC4Runner

Oh no! Used tablespoon instead of teaspoons!

I did it this time. I batch primed by my Defibrilator Dopplebock with corn sugar last night. But I rushed it.

I now realize that I used 12.5 tablespoons in 1 cup water, boiled, instead of 12.5 teaspoons. That comes out to 37.5 teaspoons. :blink:

Are these things going to blow? Should I toss 'em? Anything I can do at this point?

:(

Duck!
:think:

I would put the LBK in a garbage bag and then put it into some type of tub. That way if it does blow, the overflow will be caught. It ought to be a very carbonated brew, though!

Well, they were bottled into bottles (mostly glass some plastic) so the beer's not in the LBK, but I get what you mean. I can try and put all those bottles in a garbage bag.

I can't believe I did this. :/

Sorry, I thought you were batch priming. I would still wrap the bottles in a garbage bag and put the case in a tub in case they do blow.

Yeah, that's what I'll do. And if they don't blow, then I should assume a lot longer conditioning to get that carbonation down?

With the PET bottles, you may be able to slightly open the caps to release some pressure as they carbonate. For the glass bottles, I'm not really sure. Definitely put them into a plastic garbage bag. You might be able to pop them open and then recap after a couple of days, but I'm not certain on this. Somebody else should be able to chime in.

Rick

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

For sure, place in a leak proof container til consumed. I did this not so long ago... messed up the measure royally. None blew, but talk about gushers when opened! I'm averaging bout half a glass salvaged when poured, and VERY bubbly... LOL.

Loosen your caps on the plastic just to the point where they don't keep a seal. Barely crack your bottle caps to let out pressure and cover the caps with sanitized tin-foil. You will see bubbles rise in the bottles as the sugar ferments. When it ceases entirely (probably around 7 days), bottle prime the bottles individually with the proper amount of sugar, recap and wait for them to carbonate normally. No harm done and lesson learned. RDWHAHB.