Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fee

Watery....

Ok so tonight I'm going to take a few pics and videos of first pours of my Weiss and my Paloma Ale.

The Weiss was almost too easy, and I really like it.

The Paloma ale has now been in the bottle for about 8 weeks. It was made with some blueberry, raspberry, and cranberry. Those fruits have mellowed out, there is no green/cidery taste.

But it's weak, it's watery. This was not designed to be a big beer, but it's not designed to be Bud light either. I can only guess based on drinking it that it's about 5.5-6% and I think I added enough malts.

It seems sorta watery and sorta flavorless. It's almost like beer flavored club soda. Obviously I could just add a lot of malt but what else can be done to improve the taste and body of these beers that are supposed to be on the lighter side....but not that light?

What's the recipe for the paloma ale?

5 gallon....

It's a 5 gallon batch:

1 3.3 lb can of Briess light golden extract

1.5 1bs. light DME

I steeped a little bit of corn and potatos, probably not enough to make a real difference, I just wanted them in there. I believe it will add some fermentables but I think I kept it minimal.

I used oak chips in a muslin sac that I threw in at the end of the boil.

I did a 75 minute boil and added hops at 75-50-30-5

Hops are 1 oz each of Northern, Simcoe, and Chinook (The Simcoe and Chinook are whole, the Northern is pellets). I saved some from each for a dry hop after 1 week in the fermenter.

I used Poland Spring water

Lastly, I used 1 pound of Blueberries, 1 pound of strawberries and a can of whole cranberries. They were pureed and went in at the end of the boil, along with 1/2 cup of honey.

For yeast I used US-05 but doubled up.

With only light extract and in that quantitiy I'd expect it to be pretty watery. 3.3lbs of LME and 1.5lbs DME in a 5-gal batch gives me an OG of 1.036. The honey and fruit would add some fermentables but the malt profile is pretty small and doesn't have any specialty grains (i.e. carapils, crystal malts, etc) to add flavor and body.

If you do this one (or something similar) again I'd add some more malt as well as steep some specialty grains of your choice to improve the flavor and body.

Cheers!

"KZ" post=268521 said:

With only light extract and in that quantitiy I'd expect it to be pretty watery. 3.3lbs of LME and 1.5lbs DME in a 5-gal batch gives me an OG of 1.036. The honey and fruit would add some fermentables but the malt profile is pretty small and doesn't have any specialty grains (i.e. carapils, crystal malts, etc) to add flavor and body.

If you do this one (or something similar) again I'd add some more malt as well as steep some specialty grains of your choice to improve the flavor and body.

Cheers!

+1. I'd estimate that the beer came out around 4% ABV. That's the same as whaat they sell in the grocery store here (3.2% ABW is 4% ABV), so it's a low alcohol, light bodied beer. I doubt if the corn and potatoes added any fermentables to the beer. I'm not sure what they'd add, to be honest with you. There are ways to get fermentable sugars from things like corn and potatoes (or corn whiskey and vodka wouldn't exist), but there's more to it than just soaking them in water.

It felt more like 5% but yeah, it had no real substance to it. It drank like a 3%. I get it now about the steeping. The profile is very thin and one dimensional and that's the direction I'll need to go.

We'll get there.....

what kind of steeping grains would you add to a beer like this? This is one recipie that I'm going to keep tweeking.

I'd probably double the DME to beef up the malt backbone a bit, and to start I'd steep some lighter grains to add some body and a touch of sweetness - maybe 1/2lb carapils and 1/2lb of a light crystal malt (c10 or C20)

Thanks! I think that if I can make this beer a little bigger it will be very nice.

Last night I opened one and added some Dog fish 90 to it and it was exactly what I was looking for. I have no problem doing this.