Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jbrons

Monster IPA

Started a new batch this morning with the two ADIPA cans I had and a leftover Golden Wheat UME (gotta love spring cleaning!). Heres the basic recipe:

2 cans HME American Devil IPA
1 can UME Golden Wheat
1 ounce (2 packs) Centennial Hop Pellets
0.5 ounce Cascade Hop Pellets
0.5 ounce Glacier Hop Pellets
1/2 cup clover honey
1 pack (11 g) US-05 Dry Ale Yeast
3 hop sacks

1. Sanitize
2. Bring 14 cups of water to a boil over high heat
3. Place the Centennial Hops into the boil for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally
4. After 40 minutes, add the Cascade hops for a 20 minute boil, stirring occasionally
5. At 60 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Glacier Hops
6. Stir in the 1/2 cup of honey
7. Stir in both of the ADIPA cans as well as the Golden Wheat
8. Add to the fermenter (already with 4 quarts of cold water in it)
9. Stir, adding more water to bring the batch to the 8.5 mark
10. Add the yeast
11. After 5 minutes, stir vigorously and cap the keg

I am going to allow 2-3 weeks for fermentation, a week of bottle carbing, and 2-3 months of bottle conditioning. According to QBrew, it should have an original gravity of 1.075, an ABV of 7.3%, and an IBU rating of 90. I'm tentatively calling it "Hoppy Trails." Hopefully, the Golden Wheat will give it sort of a Rye IPA consistency while still allowing all the centennial hop bitterness to come through with the cascade and glacier on the back end. We shall see!

I'm curious as to whether 2oz. of hops is enough. Not to make a beer.....but to make a big IPA.

I was thinking the same thing when designing it. I kept playing with QBrew, and any more than that kept throwing the numbers over the 100 IBU mark. I've had 100 IBU IPAs before, and wanted to come in just under that number. I know I could have boiled for less time and added more hops, we shall see how it comes out. This is what the boil looked like after 60 minutes (this is just hops and water, no honey or HME/UME yet)

[attachment=8230]IMAG0598.jpg[/attachment]

100 would be awesome! I don't know I'm just often left saying to myself "that could have used more hops, more malt, been bigger....". I have to make a big IPA myself and use lots of hops....I want to really experience it.

Anyone try Vermont's Heady Topper in a can? Or how about Oskar Blues Deviant Dave's? Man....now THAT...is HOPS!

You will be getting nothing from the hops by just boiling them in water alone. You need to boil it with the Golden Wheat UME.

So, your step 2 should be to dissolve the UME in some water, I would suggest 1 gallon plus one cup, this should get you to a Gravity of 1.040 with the Golden Wheat UME, which is ideal for best hop utilization. Then bring this to a boil and start your hop schedule and proceed as you have noted.

I would suggest getting some brewing software, like Qbrew. It is free and VERY helpful for see what your recipe can do.

Hoppy Brewing! :cheers:

I haven't tried either one of those. I was really motivated to make this one after having the Founder's Double Trouble Imperial IPA, the Bell's Hopslam, and the Dogfish Head 90 minute. Each of those has all the hops you'd want, but is balanced with that slight honey flavor. I'll have to track those two down though. I can't get enough IPA.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. This was my first time boiling in water. My last porter, someone commented that I shouldn't use the extract to boil in. I guess I'll have to wait and see how this one turns out and try boiling it in the UME next time. Gotta love experimentation, that's why this is so fun.

You dont want to boil HME, but UME is ok.

You can also use DME or LME, (UME is what Mr. Beer call their LME).

Hoppy Brewing!

I've been toying around with the idea. I have an ounce of centennial and an ounce of cascade still in my ingredient box. Any recommendations on a dry hop?

I use both for dry hopping. Sometimes a mix of both. However, they are somewhat similar and both are citrusy and floral in nature.
Unless you need them for something else, 1/2 oz of each would be great.

Also, Chinook is used in many IPA's (just thinking about your future)