Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SteveT

Sanitizing Question

I'm going to brew the Blonde Ale ths weekend and I have the can of Hopped extract and unhopped extract. The instructions say to sanitize the tools using the powered sanitizer. My question is is it nessary to sanitize the can opener and measuering cup? I'm mearuring out 4 cups of water then boiling it. then pouring the extract into the boiled water. Isn't that enough to sanitize? I've always doused the cup and can opener with the sanitizer liquid but feel thst it is an extra step I don't need to do.
Thanks as always.
By the way the Irish Stout I brewed and let sit for 2 months is excelent. The longer it sits the better it gets.

Congrats on the stout!
You do not have to sanitize the measuring cup if you will be boiling anything you put into it.
You probably should sanitize the can opener because you will not be actively boiling the HME. The chances of contamination are low, but it is so simple to sanitize by just throwing it into the LBK with everything else. It's not worth losing 2 gallons of beer over.

+1

Sanitize the can opener. The HME is going in at flame out. ALWAYS sanitize anything and everything that can/will/may come into contact with the wort post-boil.

I use a can opener that doesn't cut the lid. It lifts it off so that no part of the opener actually comes in contact with the contents of the can.

But I still sanitize it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will sanitize the can opener at least.

Guest System Admin

I take it one step further....

I take a clean Paper towel and soak in the sanitizer and wipe the HME or UME lids before opening too. What good is sanitized opener if the lid has contamination on it

"Trollby" post=268560 said:

I take it one step further....

I take a clean Paper towel and soak in the sanitizer and wipe the HME or UME lids before opening too. What good is sanitized opener if the lid has contamination on it

That's a great idea. I haven't thought of that. I keep a spray bottle of sanitizer handy, so this would be easy to do.

Rick

I pour a little sanitizer on the lids of the cans while there sitting in hot water.

Keeping a small spray bottle filled with a StarSan solution is a real timesaver in the brewroom. I use it since its so fast working and easy to get to, anything that saved time and assures a good brew is worth having.

I also use the type of can opener that unrolls the glued seam so the lid just lifts off the can without having to cut or puncture anything. I still sanitize it, but it is a better opener, and there are no sharp edges created. I also microwave boil about a quarter cup of water in a sanitized cup for each can of extract, to rinse it out into the wort, and thereby not wasting anything.

:gulp:

I really like the spray bottle with sanitizer idea I'm going to have to start doing that

"hydrofiner" post=268755 said:

I also use the type of can opener that unrolls the glued seam so the lid just lifts off the can without having to cut or puncture anything. I still sanitize it, but it is a better opener, and there are no sharp edges created. I also microwave boil about a quarter cup of water in a sanitized cup for each can of extract, to rinse it out into the wort, and thereby not wasting anything.

I bought an opener like that at Target. The brand is Oxo. It worked slicker than heck for 3 cans then quit. Could you tell me the brand of yours?

I not only sanatize my can opener, but actually warm up some of the one-step solution in a small pot and put my cans in it to loosen up the extract, and flip the cans over after a few minutes, so that the whole can gets somewhat sanatized.

"gophers6" post=268771 said:

"hydrofiner" post=268755 said:

I bought an opener like that at Target. The brand is Oxo. It worked slicker than heck for 3 cans then quit. Could you tell me the brand of yours?

I'm not sure about hydrofiner, but I've got two of them. I've had them for a couple of years (bought them specifically to open extract cans). I can't find a brand name on either, but I think one of them may be the Oxo.