Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Worthog

Cold Crashing and Bottle Conditioning

I did my first cold crash before bottling a variation on Witty Monk. I was really happy with how clear the process made the beer. However, it occurred to me afterward that chilling and then bringing beer back to room temperature for bottle conditioning will likely affect how long this stage will take. Also, I have heard chilling and warming beer is a good way to skunk it. Did I go wrong here?

"Worthog" post=268577 said:

However, it occurred to me afterward that chilling and then bringing beer back to room temperature for bottle conditioning will likely affect how long this stage will take. Also, I have heard chilling and warming beer is a good way to skunk it. Did I go wrong here?

I believe this is a myth.
I've done it to some beers and they were fine.

You should be fine. If you want to Skunk your beer... leave it in the light. otherwise, your fine

it's been said, but i need the posts. you'll be fine. repeated large temperature swings may eventually effect the beer, but a cold crash will do no harm. once the beers comes up to room temp, the yeasties will go and do their carbing work.

RDWHAHB

Cold crashing prior to bottling is a godsend. I just learned first hand what happens when you don't. I wanted to bottle my Fallen Friar batch, NOW, and had forgotten to coldcrash it for even a day and I ended losing about 16 ounces of good brew since the trub ended up clogging my spout. I got as much as I could with it being warm. Needless to say I was pissed at myself. Cold crashing is almost an absolute with me since I like to milk every last ounce of good brew from my LBK. I would've siphoned off to a secondary if I had one available. Live & learn.

"T8r Salad" post=268654 said:

Cold crashing prior to bottling is a godsend. I just learned first hand what happens when you don't. I wanted to bottle my Fallen Friar batch, NOW, and had forgotten to coldcrash it for even a day and I ended losing about 16 ounces of good brew since the trub ended up clogging my spout. I got as much as I could with it being warm. Needless to say I was pissed at myself. Cold crashing is almost an absolute with me since I like to milk every last ounce of good brew from my LBK. I would've siphoned off to a secondary if I had one available. Live & learn.

get an auto siphone T8. now there's a godsend.