Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spazmodo

A total foam out...then nothing?

Hey guys! I started my third batch a couple days ago and it definitely reacted differently than the first two did. I've started an Oktoberfest in the large HME can and had a rather odd reaction. I followed the same process as I did the first two times (both those batches turned out excellent). Very careful cleaning and sanitizing. Put my wort in the fermenter, added the package of dry yeast, waited a few minutes then gave it a good vigorous stirring. I then left the house for a date and movie and didn't look at the fermenter until the next morning. At that point I noticed that there had been a foam overflow through the cap, and from what I could see through the dried foam stuck to the insides the fermentation has slowed way way down or stopped. I haven't started doing any gravity readings yet (that's in the future) so I don't have that data. Any ideas on this reaction? Should I be concerned or just let it sit for the remainder of the fermentation period.

"Spazmodo" post=268598 said:

Hey guys! I started my third batch a couple days ago and it definitely reacted differently than the first two did. I've started an Oktoberfest in the large HME can and had a rather odd reaction. I followed the same process as I did the first two times (both those batches turned out excellent). Very careful cleaning and sanitizing. Put my wort in the fermenter, added the package of dry yeast, waited a few minutes then gave it a good vigorous stirring. I then left the house for a date and movie and didn't look at the fermenter until the next morning. At that point I noticed that there had been a foam overflow through the cap, and from what I could see through the dried foam stuck to the insides the fermentation has slowed way way down or stopped. I haven't started doing any gravity readings yet (that's in the future) so I don't have that data. Any ideas on this reaction? Should I be concerned or just let it sit for the remainder of the fermentation period.

You should be fine. Different batches can act differently. Some ferment really strongly, some slowly. As long as the final result is beer, I'm happy.

Sounds like a blow out, happens sometimes...though I'm surprised to see it with a base refill. Just clean up the outside of the keg, loosen then tighten the lid (to make sure the vent notches aren't blocked) and let it ferment normally.

Oh, and welcome to the borg! :chug:

Ok thanks for the input. I'm going to leave it for 10 more days and then bottle it as usual.

Sometimes excessive temperatures will cause the yeast to party hardy. What was your pitching temperature? If your temps were okay, then I agree that the beer will most likely be fine.