Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Inkleg

How to remove beer labels.

After having removed hundreds of beer labels this is what I've narrowed it down to.
After having finished a store bought beer. I rinse the bottle and fill with water.
I sink it in the container filled with water and Oxy-clean Free and walk away. 24 hours later I'm back with another empty bottle.
I remove soaked bottle, reach in and remove the floating label and put in the new bottle.
You see how this goes. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.
I have found this much easier than doing a bunch of bottles at one time.
The container is a Cytomax jug and will hold two bottles. I change out the water about every 2 weeks depending on how it looks.

[attachment=8232]P10105082.JPG[/attachment]

Some labels have enough adhesive left on them to stick. The others I dry and use Decoupage to stick them where I want them.

[attachment=8233]P10105092.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=8234]P10105102.JPG[/attachment]

and of course I refill the empty bottles with beer.
Hope this helps.

I save up my empties until I have at least 3 six packs. Eighteen bottles are all that will fit in my kitchen sink. I fill them with water, then fill the sink with hot water and OxyClean Free, and soak them. Works quite nicely.

I usually let them soak overnight, but really, two hours is all it takes.

yeah, doesn't really take long depending upon the adhesive used. couple hours max.

I've also found that sticking about a case of them in the dishwasher with some light dishwasher soap gets them off. You pull the bottle out of the dishwasher and the label falls right off... only takes an hour or two, as well.

I've found that washing soda works well too! Wal-mart dishwasher detergent is mainly washing soda (sodium carbonate), so I put 1/4 cup into 2 gallons of water and sink my bottles in this for a couple of hours. Works great! The labels just slide off. Sodium carbonate makes hydrogen peroxide, so it probably works the same as Oxyclean.
:chug:

I sure do believe in ESP, about an hour ago I was removing labels from Samuel Adams bottles and thinking I should post, about how easy their labels are to remove, soak them in hot water for 5 minutes and the labels come right off, and use a nylon scrubber and the glues will come right off,
other brands need much more work

Jim

Has anyone tried this method on large chain beer bottles like budweiser that use the plastic labels?

I put a dozen bottles in an empty five gallon kit, then put about three gallons of warm water with a scoop of brewery wash in each gallon, making sure to fill the bottles, so they don't float. After letting them sit for 15 to 20 minutes or so, the labels just peel right off. If I have more than 12 bottles (shame on me!), as I remove one and peel off the label, I add a new one.

I do this with all kinds of commercial bottles, but I started doing it with Samuel Adams bottles, and have had no trouble at all.

I use OxyClean Free as well. I've never let them soak for 24 hours though, only about an hour. Then I scrape the labels off, and use Goo-Gone to get the remaining glue off. Curious, when you let your bottles soak in the OxyClean for that long, do you end up with that white powdery residue stuck on the glass? I've been having problems with that. I suppose it's due to the hard water.

The 24 hour soak is only because it's the next day after work when I come back with another empty bottle. I'm sure the labels are loose before then. I've found I like doing 1-2 bottles at a time rather than many.

Some bottles have that residue. I don't worry about it. It's on the outside, my beer goes on the inside.