Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

14.25 Pounds Of Grain In My 5 Gallon Mash Tun

Today I'm brewing my Bottoms Up Brown Ale using a five gallon mash tun and 14.25 pounds of grains. I roughly estimated the mash thickness at a little under 1 to 1, I usually try to hit 1.25:1 but the targeted OG of this brew is 1.077 and the amount of grains needed are pushing this poor little mash tun to it's limits.

:ohmy: I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Nothing like stepping in with both feet screwy. I've found my limit and 15 is about it but I BIAB.
And, once again, you do such a great job on your site explaining everything you do. Your knowledge sharing is appreciated.

+1 to the general thanks
Just do a longer mash and a super efficient sparge maybe?
You can do it!

I'm going to say this worked out ok because after fly sparging and lautering just over six gallons of wort the gravity of the sample I took was still around 1.016. I pitched a two liter starter of second generation WLP007 I made the day before and this morning there was plenty of activity in the airlock, proving the fermentation had taken off fast and furious.

I'm expecting this batch to come out even better than my original batch, which the members at out PALE ALES meeting really seemed to like. The main difference in the two batches is I used filtered water for this batch which wasn't available at our Big Brew.

I did the math below and the mash thickness is 1:1 only .25 for a quart of water per pound of grain less than my typical 1.25:1 mashes. This beer has a much higher 7.7% ABV than my usual brews too.

** Infusion mash at 156° F for 60 minutes **

Mash Thickness : 14.25 * 1.00 = 12.75 quarts
Grain Absorption: 14.25 * .13 = 7.0 quarts
---------------
19.75 quarts 168° F (Strike Water)

----------------------------------------------------
** Grain/Water Mash Volume = 4.35 gallons
----------------------------------------------------