Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mjkatona

Did I fubar this?

First time newbie brewer using the Pale Ale that came with the MR Beer kit. Here is what I did and I'm not sure if what I did was right or not (but it was fun) .. SO comments will help...

1) Fermented 14 days placing the LBK in an igloo cooler keeping the temp between 68-74 by rotating frozen water bottles.
2) Put the LBK keg into the fridge for 2 days
3) Bottled into 1 pint swing-top glass bottles with 1 tsp of priming sugar

I now have them conditioning back in the cooler between 68-74 for another 14 days. Thoughts?

I haven't looked at priming sugar amounts for individual bottles in quite a while, but it sounds like you are doing things right. I'd give it a month to carbonate completely though. The CO2 will be better dissolved into solution at that point, so you will have better head retention and smaller bubbles.

You sound like you did pretty much everything right, nice to see you researched before jumping in!

Sounds good so far, but the one thing I would perhaps suggest is to lower that fermenting temperature just a bit more. The 65 to 70 range would be a better bet for keeping away the fusels. I used to run my fermenters in the 65 to 75 range until the first time I got the curious aroma and flavor of nail polish remover in my beer. That's when I got the coolers and moved into the 60 to 70 range. Didn't happen until my ninth batch, but one time was too many for me.

Sounds like everything went smooth for you mjkatona before you know it you will be enjoying a Beer that you made yourself!