Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kealia

Anchor Steam Clone - brewed today (6/24)

Guys,

I think I screwed something up in BeerSmith. It's been a long day and I'm hoping that somebody can enter these ingredients into BeerSmith (or Qbrew, etc.) and tell me what you get for OG, SRM and most importantly IBUs.

I can't find my mistake (I won't tell you what I got so as not to skew your numbers).

3 gallon batch size
Eff 80%

- 4.5lbs 2 row (US)
- 12oz C60
- 0.90oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) @ 60 min
- 0.40oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) @ 15 min
- 0.50oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) @ 0 min

I've gone over this in my head but something isn't adding up.

The targets (from the BYO clone book):
OG = 1.051
SRM = 12
IBU = 33

I need some fresh eyes on this.
Thanks for the help.

Guest System Admin

Per Qbrew everything is right on but IBU. Qbrew says it's going to have bite IBU=60.

OG = 1.051
SRM = 12
IBU = 60

"Kealia" post=269347 said:

Guys,

I think I screwed something up in BeerSmith. It's been a long day and I'm hoping that somebody can enter these ingredients into BeerSmith (or Qbrew, etc.) and tell me what you get for OG, SRM and most importantly IBUs.

I can't find my mistake (I won't tell you what I got so as not to skew your numbers).

3 gallon batch size
Eff 80%

- 4.5lbs 2 row (US)
- 12oz C60

OG = 1.051
SRM = 12
IBU = 33

Thanks for the help.

Using BrewMate, which is my favorite shareware, I get:

OG = 1.051
SRM = 10.7
IBUs = 56.1 with Tinseth calculation

"Kealia" post=269347 said:

Guys,

3 gallon batch size
Eff 80%

- 4.5lbs 2 row (US)
- 12oz C60

OG = 1.051
SRM = 12
IBU = 33

Thanks for the help.

BeerSmith2 using 5 Gal Pot Mini-BIAB Equipment Profile, Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out

Hmmm, I'm near those IBU numbers, too @ 66.4.

Odd....they call for 7 AAU @ 60 minutes, 3.3 AAU @ 15 and then the flameout addition. I'm wondering if this isn't just off.

By my math I used .90oz of 8.5% AAU NB to get to about 7 for the first addition but BS shows that as 54.4 IBUs on it's own. Weird.

Maybe I'll go Google the clone recipe and see what others have done.

Thanks for the quick verification.

Just realized what I did wrong. I halved the malt bill to get this to a 2.5G recipe but not the hops.

D'oh!

All is good, nothing to see here....

headbashingkeyboard.gif

It's all good. Glad to help u get your brain around it, Mondays do that to us all.

Yeah, the image I posted above is how I was feeling last night when I couldn't figure it out. Now that I have, I have this recipe on-deck to brew in about 3 weeks when my wife is out of town for 10 days.

During that time I have no less than 3 batches planned:
- This Anchor clone
- My Double Barrel Ale recipe (FireStone Walker's) from last year
- A Golden Strong Ale recipe that the guy at my LHBS is working up for me based on HIS recipe for HIS brewery that he just opened last month

The pipeline will be looking good going into August/September that's for sure!

"Kealia" post=269545 said:

A Golden Strong Ale recipe that the guy at my LHBS is working up for me based on HIS recipe for HIS brewery that he just opened last month

That is my next on deck. Already received my ingredients. Just waiting for my Barley Crusher. Going to be the 1st I've crushed myself. Interested to see the recipe you use to compare.

I'm curious to try it for sure. I was *thinking* about coming up with my own recipe (which I normally prefer) but I've had his from his brewery and it ROCKS. It's very much like Delirium Tremens - rich, malty and just flat out awesome.

I asked him if the store (he still works at part time) has a recipe similar in style and he said "no, but I'll put something together for you".

It's nice to have friends in high places :banana:

I woke up early this morning and decided to have an early brew day since I prepared my 1L starter yesterday. From the OP, the modified recipe (to adjust the hops) is:

3G batch
OG: 1.050
IBU: 34

- 4.5lbs 2 row (US)
- 12oz C60
- 0.45oz Northern Brewer (8.6%) @ 60 min
- 0.20oz Northern Brewer (8.6%) @ 15 min
- 0.25oz Northern Brewer (8.6%) @ 0 min
- 0.25oz Northern Brewer (8.6%) Dry hop at 7 days (I changed this from using .50 oz at flameout)

I made my starter from the WLP810 about 6:00pm last night and it's a high krausen now - even on the stir plate so it's ready to go.

The wort is almost down to 60 where I'll be pitching and putting into the JC-fridge for 2 weeks to ferment right around 62.

Dry hop in 1 week for aroma, then crash for a few days before putting this one into a keg at room temp for 1 week. Then I'll drop to 38 and set the CO2 accordingly, drinking about 2 weeks later.

I've always wanted to try this recipe (it's the BYO Clone recipe) so I'll share my thoughts on how close it is to Anchor Steam. Of course, I'll have to come up with my own name for this Common so Anchor and The Hat don't come after me - for all the crap I gave him when he did his Common :P

Updates to follow for those interested.

I know some of you like to watch, so here's what I like to call "the brain". It's the nice cold break that the wort chiller generates.

beerv.jpg

I was hoping to post a pic of the fermentation that kicked off a number of hours ago already (thank you starter!), but my fridge is black on the inside so it makes pics with the phone pretty tough.

For now, close your eyes and picture a churning wort at 61 degrees in a glass carboy.

Nice pic. I've yet to get cold break like that as my ice baths dont do such a nice job. Guess my next purchase is a wort chiller.

I've been using this homemade one for a while now but I'm thinking about upgrading to a pre-made one from the shop that's a big bigger and can push more water through at a faster rate.

This one does fine for my 2.5G and 3G batches but it struggles with the 5G batches.

This is churning away at a frantic pace this morning!

I'm going to have to give buying stuff a break as SWMBO is getting a little perturbed as the money going into brewing is well over the thousand mark and I just started in February

5 days in and I checked the gravity today. I wouldn't normally check so soon but I had to move the carboy out of my JC-fridge to make room to cold crash my pale ale and I wanted to get a feel for where I was.

OG: 1.051
SG today: 1.014

That's giving me ~73% apparent attenuation on a strain that WhiteLabs states will give you 65%-70%. No complaints here. I chalk that up to good temp control + a starter. I don't think it's done yet so I moved it to where it can warm up to about 67 or so which is just over their stated ferment temp but at this point 2 degrees won't hurt and can only help finish it off if it's going to move any more.

I'll check again in a few days and then toss in the NB hops for 5-7 days to allow for the dry hop and some yeast clean-up. These guys had a party so I expect them to clean up ala The Cat in the Hat.

No taste sample, sorry. I won't have any actual taste feedback until I keg it and carb it.

I checked this yesterday and it's at 1.013 so I tossed in .25oz of NB hops to dry hop with. I'm going to let it sit for 7 days, then crash/lager it for at least a week before kegging it and then lagering it a bit more. I want this to be nice and clean and crisp when I finally carb it and taste it down the road. The pipeline is in good shape right now so there's no hurry.

I am looking forward to it when I do crack it, though.

I really need to quit being such a chicken and do a dry hop some day. I tell you what it sounds like this is going to be an excellent beer. Wish I was there when ya crack the first one. Keep the updates rolling.

LOL, there's nothing to be scared of. Open lid, drop in hops, close lid, done.

It lends a nice aroma to your beer, for sure. I'm wired such that a nice aroma equates to picking up more of the hops in the beer itself = more flavor.

It really is one of the easier things to do. Just keep in mind (apologies if you know this) that you're only getting aroma from this, no flavor or bittering.

I'll definitely keep this updated. I've wanted to brew this for a while so I'm curious to see how it turns out.

I like a good aroma as well, in my opinion it helps the flavor as well. I'll quit being a wuss and dry hop my next PA or IPA.

LOL, you'll be slapping your head asking why you didn't do it sooner.

Checked on this again today, just to see how the pellets were settling out. All is looking good, hanging out at 64/65 with a nice fat layer of trub and yeast at the bottom.

Sunday I'll drop the temp to about 38 and let this settle out for at least a week before I move it to the keg.

img20120706121102.jpg

"Kealia" post=273090 said:

LOL, you'll be slapping your head asking why you didn't do it sooner.

Checked on this again today, just to see how the pellets were settling out. All is looking good, hanging out at 64/65 with a nice fat layer of trub and yeast at the bottom.

Sunday I'll drop the temp to about 38 and let this settle out for at least a week before I move it to the keg.

img20120706121102.jpg

WOW! I guess when it comes to brewometers, that carboy is well hung. :huh:

Guest System Admin

Nice, very nice.

Edit

So I dry hopped one of my pale ale's with a 1/2 oz of cascade. I have another PA that is one week in the fermentation process, but I used Mt Hood throughout do you think dry hopping it with cascade would be ok or would it screw up the flavor/aroma profile? I don't have any Mt Hood left only cascade.

My opinion? It wouldn't screw up anything. IIRC, Mt Hood would be tough to dry hop with anyway as it's not a HUGE aroma hop. Cascades and pale ales go together like Oreos and milk, though.

Cool, I did it 1/2 oz of cascade has been dropped. I have to agree with ya on the cascade hops and pale ales. I love the aroma and flavor of cascades. I wanted to try Mt Hoods in a pale ale as my LHBS recommended using them when I was there getting grains. Thanks for your input Kealia.

And.....I kegged this last night while I was brewing again. T-minus 2 weeks until tasting. And, I managed to end up with a few bottles, too.

Right on.....Getting ready to mash a Black Butte Porter and bottle that batch I dry hopped.

Guest System Admin

So have you got a tester in the fridge yet, or did you keg it all?

I kegged it all but ended up with 4 bottles, too.

I'm leaving town this morning but it will be ready to sample when I get back mid-next week.

I'll definitely post an update.

Actually, to clarify, I believe he was home and then back out on the road since his last post, but he likely won't be looking to answer until he's back from this week's trip... But that's just me speculating... ;)

LOL, glad to know I'm loved.

Just got back home to California and as luck would have it I get (read: have) to travel to Denver on Monday. Argh!

I will be tasting this tomorrow night come hell or highwater. I will post pics and my thoughts. I even have a spiffy new Yazoo glass to show it off in. :laugh:

In short: Iz good!

I took a quick shot in my 3oz sampler and it was yummy. Left some nice lacing, too.

img20120810173416.jpg

When dinner came around I decided to have a full pint since I've been waiting for it so patiently. It poured nice, not a huge head to start with but I think that's typical of an Anchor Steam.

imgp8224d.jpg

The beer is crystal clear which doesn't show in this picture because the cold of the beer caused some frosting on the glass and some condensation, but here is the official first pour pic:

imgp8225q.jpg

The beer smells great. I really like the dry hopped aroma of the NB hops. It's what I remember AS smelling like, if not a bit more.

The taste is nice and crisp, as expected. There's a little after taste of caramel and the hops shine through nicely.

Definitely quaffable!

It has enough character to be interesting, and yet it would make a great session beer. Easy enough to drink a few of them.

I'm calling this recipe a winner! If I come across an AS I will do a side-by-side but this will definitely be a 'brew again' beer.

Thanks for the interest!

P.S. Thanks Swenocha for the awesome glass! :gulp:

I may have to queue this up as my late August/early September brew... Looks great. Very classy pint glass as well... :drinking:

"stevecon" post=279337 said:

I need to acquire one of those glasses.

That would involve you coming to Nashville and catching a beer or three with me... Ring me up if you're ever in the area... ;)

"swenocha" post=279339 said:

"stevecon" post=279337 said:

I need to acquire one of those glasses.

That would involve you coming to Nashville and catching a beer or three with me... Ring me up if you're ever in the area... ;)

I'll take you up on that, if I make it there again.

One of my consulting gigs might take me back to Nashville next year(well at least that's where I'll fly into, the other choice would be Huntsville).

If I end up there, I plan on looking you up and getting me some of those there glasses too.

"mashani" post=279346 said:

One of my consulting gigs might take me back to Nashville next year(well at least that's where I'll fly into, the other choice would be Huntsville).

If I end up there, I plan on looking you up and getting me some of those there glasses too.

Sounds good... just make sure you're in town on a Thursday through Saturday (unlike some people... ahem...) to get the full brewery taproom experience at one of our fine local breweries... ;)

Yeah, God forbid you want a beer on a Wednesday night :P

All kidding aside, and back on topic, this has turned out to be a very good beer. Crisp like a lager should be and the hops really shine through. The base 2-row and the C60 give it just a bit of color and I'm really liking this one. I won't be able to have another one until Tuesday night but I am eagerly looking forward to it.

"Kealia" post=273320 said:

My opinion? It wouldn't screw up anything. IIRC, Mt Hood would be tough to dry hop with anyway as it's not a HUGE aroma hop. Cascades and pale ales go together like Oreos and milk, though.

Tasted both of my dry hopped brews and they were outstanding. Thanks for the shove off the fence.

Congrats, and I'm glad they turned out well for you.

I've been in Hawaii for the past 7 days so all of my beer, including this one is getting some nice lagering right now. I'm loving the Kona Brewing Co's Big Wave (a Citra Blond) but I am anxious to get home to my own beer, too.

Not so anxious as to leave vacation early, though ;)

"stevecon" post=270744 said:

I'm going to have to give buying stuff a break as SWMBO is getting a little perturbed as the money going into brewing is well over the thousand mark and I just started in February

LOL Stevecon! You sound like me in this regard!
I've only been at it since March myself and I'm afraid to estimate what I've spent so far!
Momma is getting a little on the short side when it comes to purchasing new equipment! It's always something new and better out there and I just have to let it go! Hahahaha!