Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brousenhaus

Two Bewitched and a booster?

Hi Everyone,

I've got two cans of bewitched red and a bag of booster. I know everyone likes rose's rambling red, but I don't have any mellow amber UME and can no longer buy it. Do you think the above combination would work? Thanks for the help! Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

You could use two cans of HME if you want, but your beer may turn out more "hoppy" than you like.

If there is a LHBS nearby, you could buy a pound of amber DME to use instead. Then, you'd have another Bewitched to use in a different batch! (you'll need another bag of DME of course)

The Amy Pond Redhead Ale that I made used two cans of Bewitched Red with 1 lb. of light DME. It is (only one bottle left to drink) very good! So if you don't have a DME, go with the booster. I think you will like it.

I brew a mean Irish Red using 2 cans BWA, 1 lb of light DME, Steeped carapils and caramel 20L, and a 40, 30,15 minute hop boil schedule. One of my favorite Mr Beer based recipes. I fact I just went ot hy LHBS and bought 6 cans of BWA, before they are gone.

I think the booster will be ok if you don't have any DME. I have done this with both Amber and Light DME, but liked it with the light a bit better.

My vote is for 1 HME, 1 Booster and 1lb amber DME.

In my Rose's red, I actually used 1.2 lb of Muntons Dark LME instead of the Mellow Amber. It's just a bit darker. Turned out great! By saving your 2nd HME, you can repeat your success later.

I made what my wife named a Dark red witch 2 cans Bewitched red ale 1 lb amber DME and steeped 1lb of carapils . :cheers: Very nice beer. went down smooth after 4 weeks in the bottle :chug:

Thanks for the advice everyone! This group is the best! :chug:
Taking what you all said into consideration and poking around a bit, I see that Coppers has a 3.3 lbs can of amber malt extract. I am thinking of doing a large batch with two bewitched cans, one can of coopers amber extract, and one pouch of booster. Do you think that this would work? I may want just leave out booster?

Thanks!

I think this would work out very well for you. Its high in malt and you could most likely use 2 packages of booster if you have them or use a cup of light brown sugar or even white sugar. Let us know what the final recipe is and how it is in 4-6 weeks.

"Brousenhaus" post=269632 said:

Taking what you all said into consideration and poking around a bit, I see that Coppers has a 3.3 lbs can of amber malt extract. I am thinking of doing a large batch with two bewitched cans, one can of coopers amber extract, and one pouch of booster. Do you think that this would work? I may want just leave out booster?

Thanks!

Without running this by qbrew, I'm thinking it would be extremely malty! If u r going to seriously do this, mess with it in qbrew (or another program) and add some hops. You don't have to make it real hoppy, but if u don't balance that out, I bet u will not like it much in the end. I would leave out the booster as you are going to have a high ABV brew with this one, and as such, u might want to rethink the yeast u use. IMHO

"docpd" post=269587 said:

I brew a mean Irish Red using 2 cans BWA, 1 lb of light DME, Steeped carapils and caramel 20L, and a 40, 30,15 minute hop boil schedule. One of my favorite Mr Beer based recipes. I fact I just went ot hy LHBS and bought 6 cans of BWA, before they are gone.

I think the booster will be ok if you don't have any DME. I have done this with both Amber and Light DME, but liked it with the light a bit better.

That sounds like a great recipe! Do you mind sharing what type of hops you are using? I have several cans BWA and I've been planning a hopped up Red.

"FrozenInTime" post=269771 said:

"Brousenhaus" post=269632 said:

Thanks!

Without running this by qbrew, I'm thinking it would be extremely malty! If u r going to seriously do this, mess with it in qbrew (or another program) and add some hops. You don't have to make it real hoppy, but if u don't balance that out, I bet u will not like it much in the end. I would leave out the booster as you are going to have a high ABV brew with this one, and as such, u might want to rethink the yeast u use. IMHO

Yeh, I was thinking it would be in a 4 gallon batch instead of 2. But, I think I'll get a few more brew under my belt and learn a little more before trying a new recipe with the Bewitched Reds. It looks like everyone says a can of BWR and a pound of DME is the way to go for a 2 gallon batch. I let you all know what I do and how it comes out!

A few batches back, I combined one can of Bewitched Red Ale HME with 1 can of Mellow Amber UME, 1 bag of Booster and 1 cup of honey (this was before I understood the malt:adjunct ratio). Interestingly enough, others who have sampled my homebrews have liked this one the best.

Rick