Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
shanne1020

Mint chocolate flavored beer?? anyone done this.

I have a can of west coast pale ale and wondering if there is a way to make a mint chocolate flavored beer?

I'm sure it's possible, but personally, I'd hesitate to use the WCPA as a base for such a beer.

It occurs to me that, since people make chocolate stouts and chocolate porters, that would be a better base. From there, certain specialty grains impart chocolate flavor, and dry-hopping freshly crushed mint leaves for the final week of fermentation might be the way to go.

That being said, I don't know how fresh mint leaves will affect a beer. Some more research is needed. Mint extract at priming time is another option, and might be preferable.

With flavors as delicate as chocolate and especially mint, getting the right balance is going to be extremely tricky, but with patience and enough experimentation, once you hit it, I would think it would be a delightful concoction.

A local brew pub did a chocolate mint stout. It was among the worst beers I've ever had.

I also agree that, if you do decide to brew a mint chocolate beer, the WCPA is probably not the best choice. I think a stout or porter is about the only way to come up with something drinkable.

I personally wouldn't use any of the Mr. Beer to make this (can I say that on this forum?) but I have been keeping recipes for years each time I see one I think I would like but many have never been made.
If you feel comfortable to do some steeping, here's a recipe I've had for awhile from Briess.
However, I think that the mint portion is what you most likely won't want in this type of beer. Of course, you can try whatever you like but I think that there is too much going on in mint chocolate to put in a beer.

If you really want to try mint in beer I would maybe go with an extract added at bottling. That way you can put it in a few bottles to try and if you don't like it you haven't trashed a whole batch. This way you could also experiment with how much to add as well

You can make your own extract by soaking mint leaves in vodka or I'm sure there's a commercial extract out there. If you try this check back and let us know how it turns out.

"Beer-lord" post=269845 said:

I personally wouldn't use any of the Mr. Beer to make this (can I say that on this forum?) but I have been keeping recipes for years each time I see one I think I would like but many have never been made.
If you feel comfortable to do some steeping, here's a recipe I've had for awhile from Briess.
However, I think that the mint portion is what you most likely won't want in this type of beer. Of course, you can try whatever you like but I think that there is too much going on in mint chocolate to put in a beer.

I can say that the Borg Chocolate Stout "Mr. Beer" version (3 cans of sticky wicket + some chocolate) made really good beer. $pendy beer, unless you get everythig on sale, and have it laying around, which is why I made it... but very good.

What I can not say is what mint would do to it. I think I'd just follow k9dudes advice and try various amounts in a few bottles, or even bottle it as is, and then put a drop or two of mint extract in your glass before you pour it and see how you like it. If you find a ratio of mint per bottle you like then maybe next time bottle it that way.

I've had different mint beers before, and they can be quite delicious. I had a chocolate ale the other night, and it was just dreadful. The chocolate flavor was 100% spot on, but after the first few sips, I just started to feel sick to my stomach. Unless you're a big fan of these, I'd say to think of a new idea.