Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
russki

Honey Lemon Amber Ale (5-gal)(AG)

Recommended Posts

A couple months ago, I was shopping at my LHBS, and bought 3 oz of Sorachi Ace hops on a whim. I've been wondering about what to do with them... and came up with this. I'm calling it a Honey Lemon Amber, however, there's no honey or lemon in it! I'm going to use half a pound of Honey Malt to get sweet honey notes, and Sorachi Ace for flavor and aroma to get the lemony goodness. I'm hoping it turns out tasty.

I know a few of you have used Sorachi Ace - any comments? I'm thinking about brewing this tomorrow night:

Honey Lemon Amber Ale
---------------------
Brewer: russki
Style: American Amber Ale
Batch: 5.00 galAll Grain

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.050 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 32 IBU
Recipe Color: 11° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume: 4.8%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.8%

Ingredients
-----------
Crystal 60L - [body, Caramel, Head, Sweet]1.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
Honey Malt (Canadian) 0.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Rahr Pale Ale Malt 6.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Briess Munich 10L 1.50 lb, Grain, Mashed

Magnum 0.25 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Sorachi Ace 1.00 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Sorachi Ace 1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Sorachi Ace 1.00 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

Danstar Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast1.00 unit, Yeast,
Whirlfloc 1.00 unit, Fining, @T15

Mash @ 154F for 60 min

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went through my leftover ingredients - seems I have 1.5 pounds of Munich 10L, so I'm gonna sub some of the Pale Ale Malt with this Munich. I updated the recipe to reflect this. Should be tasty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't get to brew this last Friday like I planned - I'm thinking of brewing it tonight. Kinda bummed no one on the Borg had any feedback on the recipe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only feedback I can give you is that it sounds yummy to me.

I love amber ales, honey malt and munich. I also love magnum for bittering but haven't tried the soriachi ace hops myself. From what others say, they are great, though.

So...you have my ringing endorsement of this one - site unseen. :gulp:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't tried the soriachi ace either, but just so happens that I'm brewing with it this sunday and I'm doing almost the same recipe, except for the Munich malt and I'm using fermentis US-05. I'm also using all soriach ace hops. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russki, I think you commented on my Honey Lemon Wheat (with ~5% honey malt) thread a few months ago. I found the Sorachi gave the beer a weird lemon cream/buttery note. To be honest I don't know if I can comment constructively. I don't know what I'd do different next time. I didn't use all that much flavor Sorachi and I mixed it 50/50 with Centennial. It still came through. I actually found a 3 month old or so bottle and that buttery taste is gone but the dryness with the lemon flavor is kind of pine-sol-y. I think Sorachi is just not for me. Jeez so no advice, just wet blanketude. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"SenorPepe" post=271620 said:

Russki, I think you commented on my Honey Lemon Wheat (with ~5% honey malt) thread a few months ago. I found the Sorachi gave the beer a weird lemon cream/buttery note. To be honest I don't know if I can comment constructively. I don't know what I'd do different next time. I didn't use all that much flavor Sorachi and I mixed it 50/50 with Centennial. It still came through. I actually found a 3 month old or so bottle and that buttery taste is gone but the dryness with the lemon flavor is kind of pine-sol-y. I think Sorachi is just not for me. Jeez so no advice, just wet blanketude. Good luck!

Now that you mention this, it does ring a bell... I think mashani did a Sorachi Ace beer he called pine-sol or something like it. Now, buttery flavor is usually caused by diacetyl, so not sure if that was from the hops... Anyway, there's no turning back - I'm mashing right now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"russki" post=271628 said:

"SenorPepe" post=271620 said:

Russki, I think you commented on my Honey Lemon Wheat (with ~5% honey malt) thread a few months ago. I found the Sorachi gave the beer a weird lemon cream/buttery note. To be honest I don't know if I can comment constructively. I don't know what I'd do different next time. I didn't use all that much flavor Sorachi and I mixed it 50/50 with Centennial. It still came through. I actually found a 3 month old or so bottle and that buttery taste is gone but the dryness with the lemon flavor is kind of pine-sol-y. I think Sorachi is just not for me. Jeez so no advice, just wet blanketude. Good luck!

Now that you mention this, it does ring a bell... I think mashani did a Sorachi Ace beer he called pine-sol or something like it. Now, buttery flavor is usually caused by diacetyl, so not sure if that was from the hops... Anyway, there's no turning back - I'm mashing right now!

Pinus Solaris IPA is one of the beers I made with Sorachi. It did NOT have a buttery flavor, it was just lemon and pine, with more pine then lemon. It is excellent beer. The lemon pepper pseudo saison I posted here I also used it in. It also does NOT have any buttery flavor.

That said, I've used Sorachi in a handfull of beers now, and the ones with the most lemon flavor are the ones that I dry hopped Sorachi. The more I dry hopped the more the lemon/lemongrass comes through. I know flavor is supposed to come from a the late boil, but aroma and flavor are very integrated in your brain, and aroma affects taste perception, and it seems to me that somehow it does with this hop very much.

In my Sorachi Saison, I'm likely going to dry hop a full 2oz of the stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brewed this last night... other than my Electric Turkey Fryer self-destructing in the middle of the boil, everything went fine. Got just over 5 gallons into the bucket, OG: 1.050. Pitched yeast at 68F, and it's currently sitting at about 62F.

I will dry-hop with an ounce of Sorachi Ace (all I have left) a week before bottling to hopefully boost the lemon aroma/flavor as per mashani.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a bag of whole leaf Sorachi Ace on a whim to decide what to use it in later, but at this point don't have anything in the piepline that would be a more natural fit (i.e. wit, Belgian IPA, saison, etc).

I can continue to hold onto it, but I am doing another 'Belgian style' stout (brewed with turbinado sugar and a Belgian yeast) and this hop popped into my head as a unique addition as a flavor hop and/or a dry hop.

On the one hand I think it would be really interesting, on the other hand I'm thinking it would be a total fail. For those that have used it, any thoughts?

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"KZ" post=272149 said:

I bought a bag of whole leaf Sorachi Ace on a whim to decide what to use it in later, but at this point don't have anything in the piepline that would be a more natural fit (i.e. wit, Belgian IPA, saison, etc).

I can continue to hold onto it, but I am doing another 'Belgian style' stout (brewed with turbinado sugar and a Belgian yeast) and this hop popped into my head as a unique addition as a flavor hop and/or a dry hop.

On the one hand I think it would be really interesting, on the other hand I'm thinking it would be a total fail. For those that have used it, any thoughts?

Cheers!

Not sure how well Sorachi Ace would do in a stout, but then again, you're making a Belgian stout, so it can be a totally off the wall brew. Tasting and smelling the wort for my Honey Lemon Ale, I was getting more dill with a hint of lemon - I hope this changes after dry-hopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dill? That's weird.

Lemongrass I have in my beers... but not Dill...

EDIT: RE the "belgian stout". I'm not sure how the lemon grass/lemon flavors and the roasty flavors will taste together, I'm trying to imagine it... I think for aroma it might be interesting though for sure. Lemon is good in smokey tasting dark teas though, so it could work in both places, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"mashani" post=272183 said:

EDIT: RE the "belgian stout". I'm not sure how the lemon grass/lemon flavors and the roasty flavors will taste together, I'm trying to imagine it... I think for aroma it might be interesting though for sure. Lemon is good in smokey tasting dark teas though, so it could work in both places, who knows.


That's the way I'm leaning if I do it. We'll see, I have some time to decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm as positive as I can be that it was not diacetyl in my beer. I thought I was going crazy until I found a couple references online to this buttery/creamy flavor with Sorachi. But it's not very common and I have no idea how I ended up with it, or how to make it not happen next time. Most people report nothing like it. I'd bet money on it you don't have this problem, just thought I'd mention it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"SenorPepe" post=273687 said:

I'm as positive as I can be that it was not diacetyl in my beer. I thought I was going crazy until I found a couple references online to this buttery/creamy flavor with Sorachi. But it's not very common and I have no idea how I ended up with it, or how to make it not happen next time. Most people report nothing like it. I'd bet money on it you don't have this problem, just thought I'd mention it.


It'll be a while before I can tell you if I got the buttery flavor from Sorachi :) I will be dry-hopping it on Friday and bottling sometime next week... At least it'll be properly conditioned by the time I crack one open!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just too bad you will lose some of the aroma over the time it sits.. but it should still be tasty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick update - I bottled this on Friday night, got the most beer ever out of a batch - 12 x 22oz bottles and 30 x 12 oz bottles. It smelled awesome - can't say it was lemony though... it was hard to put a finger on the exact aroma, but was definitely very pleasant - no butter in the aroma for sure. I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple months!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started sipping on my BIAB Sorachi/Nelson Sauvin. It has been in the bottle for 17 days and, as usual, I tried one at 10 days and another at 14 days.
The 10 day beer had the kind of greasy taste/feel I've seen discussed on line about Sorachi. The 14 day beer had smoothed considerably. Even wifey liked that one! The one I'm sipping this morning, is a very good beer! Quite smooth!
Then again, I LOVE Nelson Sauvin, so that may be skewing my opinion, but the lemon flavor is definitely there on the back end for me!
I'm gonna be hard pressed to keep some of this around for my bar tending daughter to sample in a couple of weeks!
That's a long wait russki!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting.

In my Sorachi Pseudo-Saison, I don't have any "greasy" taste. But when it comes to mouthfeel, it has an unexplainable silky/soft mouthfeel that I've never gotten in a beer with T-58 before. It's a similar kind of mouthfeel you get when you use Wyeast French Saison yeast. It has lemon and pepper and soft citrus flavors, and lemongrass and peppery nose.

I don't mind it, it's actually very nice IMHO, I like the beer a lot and will probably brew something similar again. But it is there and I couldn't figure out why. I never thought to contribute it to the Sorachi, but I did use a lot of late Sorachi in that beer, all of it commando and left in the fermenter. So there would be a lot of Sorachi hop oils in there.

That makes me wonder if this when combined with even the smallest amount of diactyl is what makes people think "butter". Or with residual malt sweetness if not tempered by something else, the "lemon creme" thing people say they get.

In my IPA, I combined the Sorchi with Simcoe, that combo turned out great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I said greasy, I guess silky, kind of slick feel could also be a good description. That taste/feel is gone now and it is a solid lemon/grapefruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"teutonic terror" post=276268 said:

When I said greasy, I guess silky, kind of slick feel could also be a good description. That taste/feel is gone now and it is a solid lemon/grapefruit.

FYI: Wyeast French Saison leaves a similar mouthfeel to what I have, but it doesn't go away. So if you don't like it, don't ever use that yeast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...