Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
vitch61

Witty Monk Success

My first batch ever -- Witty Monk -- is a grand success. Delicious may be an understatement. I'm very serious. I did the 2-2-2 thing. I just had a pint last night. Better than Blue Moon is no joke. I want to thank everyone here on this site. I've learned a lot. What a resource.

Glad it came out good for ya. My first batch was drinkable at best. They've gotten a LOT better since using this forum.

"vitch61" post=270482 said:

My first batch ever -- Witty Monk -- is a grand success. Delicious may be an understatement. I'm very serious. I did the 2-2-2 thing. I just had a pint last night. Better than Blue Moon is no joke. I want to thank everyone here on this site. I've learned a lot. What a resource.

Congrats and welcome to the Borg & the insanity of homebrewing!!!
[attachment=8323]thumbsuppic.jpg[/attachment]

I just followed the recipe. I was a freak about sanitation. Your going to love this beer. Better than advertised. Perfect summer beer.

The Witty Monk is a good bear as is, but I have made it even better IMO, by adding 1 lb of wheat DME and 1/2 oz of Saaz at flameout. Great summertime beer.

I have a Witty Monk that is due for testing in a couple days. I added a dash of lemon juice and another of lime juice to the wort. The pre-conditioning taste was very refreshing. This will make a really good 4th of July beer. For variety, I primed a couple of the bottles with a combination of sugar and honey that will sit for a while longer.

"Worthog" post=270710 said:

I have a Witty Monk that is due for testing in a couple days. I added a dash of lemon juice and another of lime juice to the wort. The pre-conditioning taste was very refreshing. This will make a really good 4th of July beer. For variety, I primed a couple of the bottles with a combination of sugar and honey that will sit for a while longer.

That's one of my favorite parts of brewing; being able to experiment like crazy to find the perfect combination :cheers:

:laugh: Glad to hear the great review of witty monk! I just bottled mine on Sunday so still have a few weeks before I can taste it. Now I am looking even more forward to drinking it after you review. Yesterday brewed up the Czech pilsner- man you can smell the hops- alot different then the others I have brewed, fementation is going crazy in my LBK and it has a thick bubbly layer on top. Well cheers!

My wife loves it! To me, it has no flavor. Of course, she puts an orange slice in it.
My mother in law loves it too but you should have seen the look on her face when she tasted my Black IPA. There was no appreciation in that look.

Quick question- just tried my witty monk after two weeks of fementing and one week in the bottle (it's just so tempting) it didn't taste anything like a wheat beer- am I in trouble or has anyone else here tried it early and had the same experience?
:(

"Rayyankee" post=271039 said:

I too am a big fan of witty monk. Unfortunatly it is no longer available :(:(:(:(

You can still find it... you just gotta know where to look! ;)

"1moreplease" post=271885 said:

Quick question- just tried my witty monk after two weeks of fementing and one week in the bottle (it's just so tempting) it didn't taste anything like a wheat beer- am I in trouble or has anyone else here tried it early and had the same experience?
:(

The yeast that ships with the old refills is a general purpose yeast (the new refills will have a wheat yeast for wheat beers). Yeast plays an important role in determining the final outcome. You may want to try using a true wheat yeast for future wheat beers.

"docpd" post=270638 said:

The Witty Monk is a good bear as is, but I have made it even better IMO, by adding 1 lb of wheat DME and 1/2 oz of Saaz at flameout. Great summertime beer.

1# of extra malt, 1/2oz of saaz,and Fromunda is my favorite variation of witty monk. I like it better that way then with wb-06 or t-58. The fromunda yeast actually works nicely in this beer for me. Consider that blue moon does NOT use a wheat yeast, they use a clean american ale yeast, get all their flavor from the citrus and spices - which witty monk has, and the saaz increases.