Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joechianti

The Shame of it All

Well, I was just making headway into using grains (steeping and mashing), and loving every bit of it. I was at about half grains and half extract and just starting to make decent use of hop boils. Lately I’ve been having health and family obligation issues. Not enough to require any sympathy in itself, but enough to make me consider going back to all extract batches until things improve.

I’ll probably try to at least get in some steeping and hop boils when I can. The time, energy and strength is just lacking, but I want to keep the pipeline flowing since I’ve become quite fond of home brews.

Has anyone ever found themselves in such a situation? Is it as bad as I think, or should I not be so sad about the whole thing? Seems like even though brewing with grains is more fun and interesting and offers more control and creativity, sometimes you got to do what you got to do. Can anyone comfort me in my moment of shame?
:(

No need to worry, several members of our home brew club do extract brewing all the time. Not everyone will have the time, room or money to invest in strictly all grain brewing. In fact here's a recipe I have brewed many times that just disappears once its been chilled and served.

Size 2.13 gallons: Estimated IBU=14, SRM=6, OG=1.063, FG=1.016, ABV= 6.1%

1 pound honey
1/2 pound CaraHelll
2 pounds Briess Wheat DME - 65% Wheat/35% Barley
1/4 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 30 minutes
1 pound of Honey for 25 minutes
1/4 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 17 minutes
1/2 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 7 minutes
11.5 gram Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast
Pitched at 70F and fermented at 70F

Directions:
** Steep grains at 153F for 30 minutes **
Remove grain bag, stir and pour into 12 quart boil pot
Top pot off with filtered water and bring to a boil
Add hops at 30 minutes
Stir in honey and boil for 25 minutes
Add hops and boil for 17 minutes
Stir in DME and boil for 10 minutes
Add Whirlfloc and boil for 9 minutes
Add hops and boil for 7 minutes
Place in ice bath, or use wort chiller until wort temperature cools to 70F
Aerate and pitch yeast
Ferment at 70F temperature until final gravity is reached

You can read all the directions using the link below, there's even some pictures to help get you started. Good luck and hope things turn around for you soon, until then brew on.

Screwy's Noble Wheat

yep, nothing wrong with DME/LME based beers. Some of my best tasting beers were DME based. If you don't have the time to do the extra AG requirements, then by all means go with DME/LME with grains and hops. Good stuff that.
Nong Brew
5 gallon batch

1/2# carahell steeped 30 min
6# light DME
50 min boil with 1/2oz first gold
20 min boil with .75 oz UK Golding
20 min boil with .75 oz Fuggle
15 min boil with 1 tsp of Irish Moss
15 min boil yeast nutrient
7 min boil with .25 UK Golding
7 min boil with .25 Fuggle
S-33 yeast

Vince and YD,

Thanks for the words of comfort and for the recipe. I’ve just been run down bad lately. I do have a lot of extracts stockpiled, so that’s one good thing. I’m doing a lot of babysitting for a grandson that I love to death, plus my job, which wouldn’t be so bad but for certain health factors that drain all my energy.

Brewing is the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time, and I’ll stay with it in any capacity I can until things improve.

:charlie:

There's no shame in it at all. I've had VERY good beers that were just the Mrb Seasonals straight up. Let's not forget that it's CONTROL that you give up brewing with pre-hopped extract, not QUALITY.

I've been doing AG mostly lately because it's just cheaper for me. Especially with the new Cooper/MrB that I know just isn't worth it for ME and the kind if beers that I like.

There's nothing wrong with doing just extract beers Joe. Get better man so you can enjoy even more time with your grandson. I really enjoy reading your post everyday and what you're doing with your brewing. We'd miss the hell out of ya around here. So do what ya gotta do and get better. The AG stuff will be ready again when your ready.

Hey Joe Well I sure hope you can get though the health issues. Bummer.

I have no plans to brew AG or mash. I am very satified to brew extract/steep recipes and the assorted canned extracts (Muntosn try one very good to great beer).
I have a stock pile of old MRB to brew as you have. I plan on doing a DIY extract in a month or so.
There are somany all extract recipes out there, no need to go AG.
AHS and Brewmasters will build 2.5 recipes and or split the 5 gal recipe into 2 packages. Lots of low cost options to make extract only beer.

Hang in there.. at 71.5 I know about health.. yes over 70 I count in half years :) For now I am good. Lost 9 pnds over the past 3 months -- must be all that beer :)

R

"Joechianti" post=270956 said:

Vince and YD,

Thanks for the words of comfort and for the recipe. I’ve just been run down bad lately. I do have a lot of extracts stockpiled, so that’s one good thing. I’m doing a lot of babysitting for a grandson that I love to death, plus my job, which wouldn’t be so bad but for certain health factors that drain all my energy.

Brewing is the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time, and I’ll stay with it in any capacity I can until things improve.

:charlie:

Get better Joe. I always enjoy reading your posts. God bless.

Wow. Thanks for all the kind words. I'm far from facing the grave, here- just run down with some anemia and thyroid problems and other deficiencies which I suspect might be rooted in celiac which is preventing me from absorbing nutrients. Too stubborn to follow doctors orders most of the time, so I suffer the consequences. Like I say, I'm not dying, just tired all the time, but I'm gonna brew as often as I can. Other than my family, it's my favorite thing to do.

Joe, please take care of your self and get your strength and energy back. Work and baby sitting a youngster can suck the energy out of anyone. I brew extract and can't see myself changing to all grain just beacuse of the extra time and cost of equipment. My beers, as you know from following my posts, are more than accetable, so say all my family and friends, and that's all that counts to me. Hang in ther pal. :chug:

Joe,
Here's hoping your get your health problems behind you. However, if you have celiac disease the gluten in malted barley will aggravate your condition. you may need to learn how to brew gluten free beer, as even a small amount of gluten can wreak havoc on the lining of your small intestine. Heve you been tested formally for celiac disease? You may need to have a small bowel biopsy to tell for sure, although there are blood tests which can help in the diagnosis. Good luck.

Y'know, even though I look forward to my first AG brew, I know that partial mashes and extracts are perfectly capable of allowing you creative freedom. Don't tell me you haven't gone crazy with tweaking those recipes! I've seen otherwise in posts by and/or about you on this BORG. So get your rest, do what your doctors tell you, play with your grandson, and brew what/when/how you want! And stick your head in here from time to time, and give your friends a howdy-do.
:chug:

Joe, just take it easy for the rest of the summer. It's hotter than hell and that's doesn't make anyone feel good. Stay cool, follow SWMBO and the doctor and before you know it, you'll be riding high again.
I'm thinking good vibes for ya!

If there's shame in brewing an all extract batch that's got hopped extracts as a base, then I did a shameful thing thus evening. I made a 4 gallon batch with 1 TBM, 1 hccd, some Coopers light LME and some Briess extra light LME, with an abbreviated hop boil.

No shame no blame!
Make a plan and get stronger, you mos def are dedicated to the important things.
Your health is most important to all who love U.
sorry for the sap!
Go Joe!
:banana:

JoeC: I just got off the phone with your doctor. He said you are going to be okay and that you have to stop drinking any & all homebrews you still have in stock but that for physical therapy you must not quit brewing the homebrews that you have planned for the next 5 years with your stock of MB & TBM refills. The pipeline can not stop or even slow down. The one therapeutic action you must continue to do is keep pouring your fine homebrews & also donating your homebrews to the one military family friend at Fort Hood / Arizona. This prescription shall never be stopped or grave consequences will arise. You will feel better mentally & physically if you follow Doctor's orders to a Tee.

Good luck my friend and if I can pass on any further directives from your physician, I will do so immediately.

Salud and Best of health to you, JoeC.

T8r
[attachment=8347]DoctorSeuss.jpg[/attachment]

You guys really are the best. I feel like a wimp for even complaining about feeling weak. I'm far from my death bed. Just tired and low on energy all the time. But thanks for all the support and T8r for making me laugh, too. Even if I couldn't stand up long enough to brew a batch, I'd sure be able to sit at the keyboard and visit you guys. The catch 22 is that if I follow my doctor's instructions, I wouldn't be able to enjoy even a fraction of the food and drink I do now. I'd rather suffer WITH these things than suffer WITHOUT them. I'm just a stubborn child in an old man's body.

Papazian makes a point of saying that today's extracts are far superior to what they used to be, and that excellent beers can be made using only extracts. No shame in it at all.

I've slowed down my brewing for the summer, and because I needed a little break from brewing every blessed weekend. But I've still got plans to brew, and when I do, it'll probably be extract brews, since I'm not looking forward to a six-hour brew day in the summer.

When it cools off, I'll get back into my AG routine, but I don't feel as though I'm cheating myself at all by using extracts. In fact, a couple of recipes I'm really fond of (Lime Cerveza and South Ferry Steam Beer) are extract recipes, and I see no reason to try going AG with them.

The important thing, Joe, is that you take care of your health and other issues, and keep on brewing. The time will come for you to get back into using more grains. I agree, you have more control and can create more subtleties using grains, but you can still make superb homebrew from extracts.

One of the reasons I have not re-invested in a full AG setup again is time, time, time... I just can't spend that much time brewing and get my work done, meet all of my own family obligations, and participate in my other hobbies. I don't want to give brewing up, so I brew with a lot of extracts and other shortcuts as I can. And I make beer just as good as my old AG beers as long as I'm careful about my ingredients and my process.

So I hope things improve for you, but don't worry, you can and will still make beer, and good beer at that!