Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Knightmare

Anybody use a refractometer?

My hydrometer recently committed suicide and I need another. But I was looking at refractometers and thought that might be a great investment. I was told by some old schoolers that it would only work when determining gravity for my mashes. But I've seen some online caculators for finding OG and FG. Any Borg members use one?

I have one that I use to check the pre-boil gravity of my mash. I haven't really used it check on final gravity, though you are supposed to be able to. I have a couple different hydrometers that I use. I use this one to check FG.

I use one. I like it because it only takes a few drops which with Mr Beer size batches is nice. If you get one I would recommend one that automatically compensates for temperature.

yep, I use one and use the calculators. I got it because it seemed so easy to use, and wastes so little wort. I've been happy with it...

I use 1 and love it! but it has nor ever will completely replace using a hydrometer for me.

Im still gonna replace my hydrometer, but would love try the refacto on my mashes. Especially for determining the end of a sparge.