Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KokomoSam

Yeast Ranching without a stir plate

Guys,

I have a Smack Pack of Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast that I am considering ranching to use for a few upcoming batches. However, most instructions I have found on-line talking about yeast ranching talk about using a stir-plate. I don't have a stir plate. The question is do I really need a stir-plate? or can I just to a starter in a growler or gallon jug?

Thanks

Sam

Yea, there are a few people on here that make starters by just swirling the flask when ever they walk by it. It won't create as much viable yeast as a stir plate but it is still better than not doing a starter at all.

You can do a starter without a stir plate (using the shaking method of giving it a swirl every time you walk past it), but the cell count you will get will be a good deal less then with a stir plate. Don't remember the source but remember the growth to be 3x larger when using a stir plate over shaking.

"Screwy Brewer" post=271262 said:

I've had my setup about 6 months now and I'm already considering buying another setup to make 4 liter starters quicker.

How noisy is your home made stir plate while it is running?

I actually broke down and bought one new from StirStarter a while back. It's really quiet in fact during the winter I keep it running in my office when making starters.

"Screwy Brewer" post=271339 said:

I actually broke down and bought one new from StirStarter a while back. It's really quiet in fact during the winter I keep it running in my office when making starters.

That's the one I use. Very quiet and a reasonable price.

Another +1 to buying from StirStarter.

But if you need to make a starter without one, just swirl it or shake it every time you walk by it and think about it. It's better than no starter at all.

"genotype" post=271346 said:

"Screwy Brewer" post=271339 said:

That's the one I use. Very quiet and a reasonable price.

Same here, I love my StirStarter.

The best deal I found on StirStarters stirplates was from Bell's General Store - they are $5 cheaper that from StirStarters direct, and their 2L flasks are almost $10 cheaper. They also have cheap economy shipping. Here's a linky for you:

StirStarters Stirplate from Bell's

Bell's General Store has some other great deals too.

"russki" post=271365 said:

The best deal I found on StirStarters stirplates was from Bell's General Store - they are $5 cheaper that from StirStarters direct, and their 2L flasks are almost $10 cheaper. They also have cheap economy shipping. Here's a linky for you:

StirStarters Stirplate from Bell's

Bell's General Store has some other great deals too.

Great deal if you get the flask with it. Otherwise, shipping makes it slightly more expensive for the stir plate only.

"Kealia" post=271348 said:

But if you need to make a starter without one, just swirl it or shake it every time you walk by it and think about it. It's better than no starter at all.

I guess I will considering getting a stir plate, but to get back to my original question. I think the answer is that you can make a starter for yeast ranching without a stir plate? yes?

thanks

Sam

"KokomoSam" post=271470 said:

I guess I will considering getting a stir plate, but to get back to my original question. I think the answer is that you can make a starter for yeast ranching without a stir plate? yes?

thanks

Sam

Yes. It's just more effective with a stir plate.

"KokomoSam" post=271470 said:

thanks

Sam

Certainly. I used to make starters in a 2qt growler all the time. Just cover it with sanitized foil and give it a swirl every once in a while. You just won't get as much yeast without a stirplate.

You can also get good cell growth using a two liter plastic soda bottle filled with 1.040 gravity wort and giving it a good shake whenever you walk by. Just unscrew the cap, squeeze out the Co2, draw in some dust free air and recap.

A basic rule of thumb is 100 billion cells, the typical cell count in a smack pack or vial of yeast, in two liters of wort will produce an additional 100 billions cells for a total of 200 billion cells. Of course this number can go up or down depending on temperature fluctuations and the amount of agitation.

Using a stirplate is the best way to agitate and ensure proper oxygen levels although some can raise the temperature of the wort several degrees, depending on the design of the stirplate.

Thanks everyone. So I am going to give Yeast Ranching a try using the instructions on Screwy Brewers site (minus the stir plate of course) this weekend. I will report back how it goes.

Sam

"KokomoSam" post=271543 said:

Thanks everyone. So I am going to give Yeast Ranching a try using the instructions on Screwy Brewers site (minus the stir plate of course) this weekend. I will report back how it goes.

Sam

Good luck to you Sam. Just as an update to my original January 2011 post, the only thing I boil now is the water used to wash the yeast. For everything else like jars, funnels, etc. I use StarSan to sanitize. It's just so much easier to spray or soak things with sanitizer instead of boiling everything and the results are the same.

Making A Starter From Harvested Yeast