Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
shanne1020

24 hrs into first brew.. question

Last night I brewed the west coast pale ale. Its almost been 24 hrs. Should I see bubbles or foam? The reason I ask is because my yeast was a few yes old, but I wanted to try anyway

That will depend on the temp the wort was at when you pitched it, the temp it has been at for these 24 hours, wether or not you hydrated the yeast first, etc. I have almost always had decent signs of fermentation within 12 hours of pitching. But it's not carved in stone.

Do you have any trub on the bottom? What is the temp? Let us know. Worst case scenarioo, IF that, is you have to re-pitch the yeast again. Maybe your yeast was too old, as you say, and maybe not. A little bit more time should tell.

Guest System Admin

My WCPA showed hardly any sign of fermenting, but ferment it did. Not all batches will have much noticable krausen, but will in a few days have some noticable trub albeit not a lot. This is a simple recipe that does not have a whole lot of yeast or fermentables to make a big noticable fermentation. Give 'er a few days and see how it goes. As long as u let the wort cool down, ie did not pitch your yeast into HOT wort, it will be fine. Ya must also watch the temp u are fermenting at, as hot will give bad off flavors, VERY hot will kill the yeasties, too cold will not let them ferment (puts them to sleep).

edit: re-read ur post. Years old yeast? How many years. Yeast will deteriate over time to point of being useless. Probably should have proof'd it being old. I would add, if u don't see some trub after about 48 hours, run to the lhbs and get some new yeast to pitch.

I'm started to get a few bubbles on top.. not much settlement yet. It looks like its trying to kick in.

Guest System Admin

It can take up to 3 days to notice fermentation, be patient and DO NOT open the lid and look.

Flash light look through the sides

"Trollby" post=271453 said:

It can take up to 3 days to notice fermentation, be patient and DO NOT open the lid and look.

Flash light look through the sides

+1 on do not open the lid.

Patience young grasshopper. B)

While it's true you will still brew beer after waiting several days before seeing a layer of krausen on top of the fermenting beer, it will not taste as good as the same recipe fermented properly.

The goal to brewing a great tasting beer is to have a fast and furious fermentation with a very short lag time (6-12 hours) followed by a primary fermentation that completes quickly (1-3 days).

Of course things like temperature, pitching rates and original gravity all affect the fermentation but it's still safe to say that faster is always better when compared to taste.

My first brew did not have much krausen ever, but it did develop a good layer of trub. I fermented in the LBK for two weeks and then carbed/conditioned in the 1-Liter plastic bottles from MB for four weeks. The batch came out great!

Since then, I have taken to using three packs of fromunda and rehydrating the yeast. That has produced a more fervent fermentation on the subsequent batches, but they were different recipes, so I can't really say that was the only reason for more krausen. I've also used Wyeast smack-packs on a couple of batches. You let those babies swell up and you get almost instant action when you pitch the yeast.

Best of luck to your brew...

My first brew also was WCPA. It did not produce a lot of krausen, but turned out OK and my step brother loved it. So don't worry too much about not seeing a lot of krausen.

I've had experiences as the others with WCPA. I never saw krausen, but did get trub. It was a fine recipe. :cheers:
As long as got trub, you got beer.