Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jivex5k

Sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher.

I've got some bottles ready to sanitize with my dishwashers heat cycle but was thinking about the beer.
Won't the bottles be too hot to bottle beer in for a while?
I've never done it so I don't know if they cool down quick or what.
Does anyone have experience doing this?

Let them cool. If they are too hot they will kill your yeast.

I usually turn the thing on before bed, and in the morning I get sanitized cool bottles. :cheers:

I'd be careful about depending on a dishwasher to sanitize the inside of the bottles. It's difficult for the water to get up inside those bottle openings. I've used the dishwasher, but I still use the One Step. Better safe than sorry.

but it is not difficult for the heat to get inside the bottles.

The only issue I can see with sanitizing bottles in the dishwasher using heat is the amount of time. I read somewhere when sanitizing in the oven, it needs to be in there for hours depending on the temp. And the oven is hotter than the dishwasher. Personally, I spray starsan. Quicker and easier for me. :popbeer:

Lately I've been kind of a belt and suspenders guy since I had a couple bad bottles a few batches ago. Dishwasher on high heat, then star san after they cool down.

All of my botttles go through the dishwasher then I bake them the night before bottling day. I don't sanitize after that.

Gymrat, do you do the two step as a precaution, or dishwasher to clean, oven to sanitize?

These bottles have been blasted clean with a bottle washer so I'm not worried about gunk inside they are all clean.
If I can avoid having to put star san into 48 bottles it'll save a lot of time and effort.
I was mainly worried about the heat, but seems like gymrat's having success with it letting em cool down and not using sanitizer liquid.
I'll give it a shot tonight, got too late last night.

B) I do it my bottles just like Gymrat dishwasher then oven that way i am sure they are clean and sanitized. might be over kill but sure does give me peace of mind! :cheers:

For those sanitizing in the dishwasher, are you using dishsoap while you're doing this? I've heard dishsoap will leave a residue of the anti water spot stuff inside the bottles.

Dishwasher with oxyclean. short cycle, full heat dry.
Cookin w/ gas.
:freeze:

I have only used the dishwasher once, to sanitize my bottles. I washed them in the sink with oxiclean, rinsed thoroughly, and then placed them in the dishwasher. I used no soap or cleaner of any kind in the dishwasher, as I thought the idea was the heat (and heat alone) would sanitize the bottles. It worked fine. The job got done. I would hesitate to use any soap or cleaner in the dishwasher, as there is no guarantee that the inside of the bottles would be thoroughly rinsed. Am I off base here?

"packerduf" post=272256 said:

I have only used the dishwasher once, to sanitize my bottles. I washed them in the sink with oxiclean, rinsed thoroughly, and then placed them in the dishwasher. I used no soap or cleaner of any kind in the dishwasher, as I thought the idea was the heat (and heat alone) would sanitize the bottles. It worked fine. The job got done. I would hesitate to use any soap or cleaner in the dishwasher, as there is no guarantee that the inside of the bottles would be thoroughly rinsed. Am I off base here?

No. You have it right. Soap free, no rinse agent. And only do it in a dishwasher that has a sanitize setting.

I use the dishwasher everytime. I rinse my bottles in the sink before I load them and then run the dishwasher through the final rinse which leads to the sanitation cycle. While it is running I get everything else ready.

I usually bottle 2 Mr. Beer sized batches or 1 5 gallon at a time . The dishwasher holds just enough that I have about 6 bottles left over but if I drop one or something like that there is always another waiting.

Somebody at the local beer store said it was no problem using the hot bottles right out of the dishwasher. I don't do it that way because I can't touch the bottles without burning myself. But once they are cool enough to touch it works just fine. Even though they are warm when I use them the beer going in cools them down quick. I have never had any carbonation problems not caused by myself using this method.

Well I did it yesterday so we'll see if it worked soon enough.
My washer doesn't say "Sanitize" or anything but it has a heat cycle.
The first time I ran it I checked right after it finished and they were almost too hot to touch....almost.