Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
shanne1020

Hop pellets..

I currently have my first batch ever West Coast Pale Ale fermenting. I have ordered the High Country Canadian Draft. I'm thinking about taking the next step and adding hops. I am looking into something simple like the pellets from Mr Beer. Any suggestions?

If you have a LHBS, get some Cascade hop pellets. They will provide a slight citrusy flavor and floral aroma as a finishing hop (you could boil or dry hop them). If you want a more English-like brew - get Fuggles or East Kent Goldings.

No LHBS around :(.. I've Google's like crazy.. found one and it was closed down, so I will need to order from somewhere.

Feel your pain man, I am in MS too. Next week heading to NOLA for a "family" vacation to the Audoban.... but BREWSTOCK isnt but 5-10 min from there. that Is the closest LHBS I have found!

Aaron runs Brewstock and he's a great guy. Their prices are very reasonable. You can order online but they don't guarantee to ship out right away.....at least they admit that online but he's got a very small but well stocked little shop and he works hard to make sure you're happy.

Enjoy your visit in our city. You sure aren't coming here for the cooler weather. And, if you're coming between the 5th and 8th, it's going to be very crowded because the Essence Festival is going on an it brings in lots of people from all over and the city it packed.

I have some questions before I can make any recommendations.

First, what do you want out of the hops? Bitterness, flavor, or aroma?

Second, are you sure you understand the process of hop boiling? You will need something other than just water or an HME to boil your hops in.

Third, if all you're buying online is hops, you're probably going to be paying just as much, if not more, for shipping as you are for the hops itself. Order a pound of Crystal 20 and/or a pound of DME while you're at it, so you'll be getting a little more for the cost of shipping.

And if you're going to do that, it's time for you to think ahead to more extract addition, steeping grains in all your future recipes, and maybe even more hops to add to future recipes.

This hobby, as all hobbies, will cost money to stay active in it, but by planning a couple of batches ahead, you can consolidate your orders and save a little money here and there by stocking up on ingredients ahead of time.

Looks like I need to make a trip to Nola.. lol. Dave, to be honest I thought you just added the pellets into the lbk after everything else was added.. looks like I need to do my homework.. ha

"shanne1020" post=272063 said:

Looks like I need to make a trip to Nola.. lol. Dave, to be honest I thought you just added the pellets into the lbk after everything else was added.. looks like I need to do my homework.. ha

If all you want from them is aroma (maybe a little flavor), you can do it that way, but if you want bitterness or more flavor, you need to boil. If you boil, you need to boil in wort, not plain water.

In regards to the High Country Canadian, I recently did this recipe as is. 3 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks conditioning and just tried it Friday. Was extremely pleased with it. I think you will be pleased with the HCCD as is, but whatever works. I am going to be doing the WCPA a second time soon, but making changes to it. Yeast,LME not booster and either a hop boil or hops for aroma in the LBK. Good luck.

If you're asking for suggestions about which hops to use, that depends on what direction you want to take it.

If you want to make it more like an American Pale Ale, with a citrusy aroma, I'd go with Cascades (or maybe Centennial, but Cascades would be my first choice). If you're trying for something closer to a Pilsner, I'd use something like Saaz (it won't be a true pilsner since it's an ale, but it will still be a good option).

I always liked HCCD as a base HME because it gives a good foundation, but it doesn't get in the way if you want to put your own spin on it.

I think that the C's (Cascades, Centennial, etc) work good in the HCCD as an aroma addition. I, personally, think they conflict a little bit on the flavor end of things.

Noble hops (or noble-like) such as Saaz or Fuggle work best with the flavor on HCCD. Northern Brewer or Mt. Hood might really work well too.

guess I need to find out who Aaron is and become the awesomest friends ever. we will be heading there Fri the 20, so hopefully there wont be too many crowds.

NO SIR! Its hot as satan's toilet after enchilada night over here. I have nothing goin in the line til after the trip. I refuse to brew without some hops and DME... never used hops and I am excited about adding them, cause all I have is about 18 gallons worth of TBM mix lol. Need to start getting some of those deals if I can ever get any cash.