Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
powers1334

probably a dumb question...buuuuuuuut....

Im going to ask it anyway...heres the setup. I am having a get together soon for my friend coming back from afghanistan. He wants homebrew...so i am obligated to brew up a batch. I am going to make 4 gallons of a lighter beer...something along the line of the bmc's, but with more flavor...anyway, now to my question. Can I batch prime the four gallons in a five gallon water bottle. you know, sparkletts, arowhead etc. see what i was thinking(since i dont have a keg or any money to get the equipment), was that i would use my water cooler. I know, sounds rediculous, and i dont know if it would work or how long it would stay carbonated. But, it has a cooler and keeps the water REALLY cold. now i know the beer will be gone after this get together, so i am not worried about holding carbonation for a long time....just a few hours. The bottles have tops on them that a spike in the cooler punches out a lid about a half inch in diameter. the weight of the water makes a seal(not air tight im sure). Does anyone think this is going to work, or am i as rediculous as my wife thinks i am. Im thinking it will work for about4 or 5 hours...any thoughts...also, the bottles say for water only, will the beer carbonate :stout: with a gallons worth of space in the bottle, or am i asking for a 4 gallon bottle bomb? thoughts....

I don't know why not. A bottling bucket is just a vessel to get the beer off the trub so you can mix your sugar in.

are you talking about using the water bottle as a keg and dispense via the cooler?

wow, not sure I'd want to attempt that. first off, would that water bottle hold contents under pressure without exploding? and dispensing it, I'm pretty sure it would make clean up a mess. make kind of dispensing unit is it?

"powers1334" post=272462 said:

yes....think it'll work?

Don't think those bottles are made to take the pressure of carbonated beer. I would say no, but it would be the Mother of all Bottle Bombs.

I think I missed something here. I thought the OP was just talking about bottling from the water bottle. No this is a very bad idea.

Its just a ge water cooler. I just had a thought...come to think of it, i was probably 4 or 5 in at the time...but the pressure is what concerned me. as far as the dispensing, i thought i could just tip the bottle a bit here and there to release some pressure during the party...my main concern was for carbonation...if it would explode during that process.

my wife will be glad to hear this...i was pretty sure it wouldnt work, but enjoying multiple homebrews in rapid succession can take the better senses away from any of us. thanks guys, now to face the music and tell the wife that she was right and that i was a drunken dummy...oh well, guess ill have a brew to prepare for the shame...lol, thanks guys....by the way...this will be my wife :banana: and this :think: will be me...

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut...what you COULD do...along the line of what you're thinking is:

Bottle the beer into regular bottles. Carbonate fully until ready (maybe a couple days before) and then put into the fridge until nice and cold. Open the bottles and fill the water cooler. Insert water cooler into base and serve.

It sounds like everyone is sayin that the water bottle will not hold carbonation. It won't. But if the beer has already been fully carbonated...then there is no pressure. It would be just like using a pitcher to serve the beer.

If my outlook on this is right...then yeah, brilliant.

I recently did something similar using a growler. I had bottle conditioned beer that was overcarbed and wanted to serve it at a party. Earlier in the day I filled up the growler and it worked perfectly. I had lost just enough carb to get what I wanted. Since your batch isn't overcarbed, you could probably get away with filling up the cooler right before the party

Personally, I wouldn't use it for beer at all. It's made to hold water, not alcohol and not carbonation. It could be a quick way to lose a batch of beer.

Why not just bottle normally and serve out of the bottles?

"docpd" post=272504 said:

Why not just bottle normally and serve out of the bottles?

+1
If you want a temporary keg for some reason, I'd probably use the party pig or tap a draft.

This would be the biggest bottle bomb I have heard of... don't think I would want to be in the neighborhood for sure!! Wish u were closer, I would loan u a couple tailgate kegs for the party. I think it's great what u r doing for the returning soldier and friend!

Outstanding thinking outside the box, but have to agree with the bottle bomb description. Even if you carb the beer first those units aren't designed to hold any excessive pressure, which you'll get even if you pour the beer into the water cooler bottle.

"powers1334" post=272474 said:

my wife will be glad to hear this...i was pretty sure it wouldnt work, but enjoying multiple homebrews in rapid succession can take the better senses away from any of us. thanks guys, now to face the music and tell the wife that she was right and that i was a drunken dummy...oh well, guess ill have a brew to prepare for the shame...lol, thanks guys....by the way...this will be my wife :banana: and this :think: will be me...

This would be a good way to tell her you realy need to get a keg set up.
That way this would be you :banana: and this would be your wife(insert fase palm here).