Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

Review "New" American Ale and Canadian Blonde

Last night when putting a six of each in the fridge, I also took a bottle of each and put in freezer to quick chill, and tried one of each as soon as they were chilly.

Both beers were VERY clear. Both beers tasted GREAT. The Blonde more malty on ... American Ale more balanced, hops more noticeable ... but I like them both.

Both carbed fine ... bottle primed. Not tremendous head, but nice head and lacing that held till the glass was empty, and I savored them.

I said on another post that I cheated a little, and put 0.333 lb sugar in each wort ... just enough to bring it up, but I seriously doubt that amount of sugar changed the profile much, if at all, and I can definately say the flavor of both beers is delicious. I wasn't going to mention the sugar, but wanted to keep it real, I know you're not supposed to tweak a trial, but I considered this really kind of a naked brew.

Anyway, with the small amount of sugar, I got:

American Ale ... 1.040 OG, 1.007 FG, 4.4% ABV
Canadian Blonde 1.040 OG, 1.008 FG, 4.4% ABV

I'm going to enjoy these today, for sure. Nice. Real nice. I got some Sticky Wickett and Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner being shipped to me, but after those MrB's are brewed, I would order these two new ones again , but likely try some of the others first.

Happy Independence Day!

Glad to hear your positive review of the American Ale...I have one and am planning to tweak it, but good to know it's a decent base. What was the hop profile like? Much hop flavor or aroma? And what kind of hops if you had to guess? C-hops?

Cheers!

Thanks guys.

I fermented 14 days (most brews I do 14 days, give or take a day or two). 4 weeks in bottles, so 2-2-2 or 2-4 whatever you want to call it.

As far as the hops, I've only had one bottle of each, and like them alot ... I had them last night, and I remember just a nice flavor in both. I'm thinking not too citrusy, so maybe like a norther bewer, Galena, or maybe a Cascade, but that's a little citrusy

Tell you what I'll have a few more this afternoon and think about it more while I'm drinking it ... but I can definately say they both tasted nice, I think I like the American Ale better, but the Canadian Blonde is good ... more malty tasting but nice.

The American Ale tastes like a good beer, not "iffy" or "too malty" the way I think Budweiser American Ale is (do they still make it?)

Thanks for the review, Tom. My Classic American Light and American Ale have been in the bottle for less than a week, so it will be a while before I can drink them. I am very anxious to try them, and other refills as well. I placed another order with Mr Beer last Saturday, but it hasn't shipped yet. BUMMER!
:cheers:

Edit: Maybe I should drive over to your place today, so I can offer a second opinion on these refills. You got any Tabacker IPA in the pipeline? :woohoo:

I just read the profile at MR Beer for the American Ale:

Rich golden color, light toasty malt character with a citrusy hop aroma and crisp bitterness.

I agree with the color, and the light toasty malt character ... but it's not TOO malty like I said before. Nice. The citrusy hop aroma .. let me taste a couple more and think about it, I'm sure it's right ... but I drink a lot of brews with Cascade or Centennial or Amarillo type hops, so citrusy seems "normal", to me after a while. I'm sure it's right. But whatever the hops are, it tastes good, I can tell you that. The crisp bitterness is true, it's not real bitter, but I remember thinking it was a crisp beer, I actually thought the word crisp ... which to me is the same as dry, not sweet ... you get a low FG, for sure, so it is going to be crisp. And the IBU, like they say is I think in the high thirties, and it does come off like that.

I'll give you a better read on the hops ... I'll make the American Ale my first brew today ... last night it was after a couple of brown ales, but like I say, I could tell it's real good.

But the word on this one that I'm sure of would be "Tasty". Same thing with the Canadian, but more towards malty on the balance scale, but not too malty for me, again "tasty".

But keep in mind, there are very few beers I don't like. I just appreciate nice HME's and I would call these two that.

Tabasco~

Good news.

I have bottled my beer using the Canadian Blonde. I am really excited about it. I added hops and some DME...I think this is really going to be a great beer. I can't wait until the end of August when I try it.

I am happy to see your review.

Update ... it's noon on a holiday, late enough ... pfffffffffftttttttttt
Having my second American Ale. I didn't make a mental note of it last night, but, yes, the hops are citrusy. Nice. I don't know what kind they are, but like an amarillo, centennial, cascade or columbus or something. nice.
Here it is just after the pour. I poured this one fast and it looks a little cloudy, but the first one was clear as a bell. Nice brew.

Also at this time I would like to say a big thank you to Diane ...

Someday Diane, if I'm ever in Arizona, I'll buy you some beer!

I also just realized, that based on everything I said here, I would rather have this than one of the old standards. It has enough malt to jack up with just a bit of sugar, although I'm not saying that's what YOU would want to do.
Or, mash a pound and a half of two row in your regular pot, then do the hme thing ... the possibilities are there, and it's a great light beer as is.

I got a feeling the ume's and stuff are going to be good, but we'll see. I've been a fan of MrB so I'm glad this is nice. I'm sure they'll be having sales, they always had sales (like now) so you can stock up. I gotta try that Mexican one ... I can tell my friends, look, I made a corona, aye carumba!

Who knows, maybe they'll have good sales on ume, that would really open things up ... pick out your favorite hme, and figure how you can tweek it all with mrB ... hmmm

I just had my second Canadian Blonde. Delicious.

Of course, my AG Saaz Ale is delicious, too, and I'll work one of those in as well in a few minutes. I'll tell my wife to go pick up my parents for our bbq, I think I'll pass on driving today, hee hee.

"Tabasco" post=272620 said:

I also just realized, that based on everything I said here, I would rather have this than one of the old standards....

This is what I am anticipating. The old standard refills had a twang to them, IMHO. I picked up none of that when I bottled the new standard refills. Time will tell, but I am optimistic.