Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
1moreplease

Witty monk Epic Fail

OK So I brewed up some witty monk and was getting all excited because of the recent post by Vitch on his success :laugh: When I bottled it a few weeks ago- I could taste that it was a wheat beer on its way... now a few weeks later I can't even tell that it was a wheat beer- it has a sour taste and even worse is the after taste :sick: So, I figure that it had to be one of two things... The sugar I used had something, of course I followed the Mr Beer directions of pouring 1 teaspoon of sugar into each bottle.... or my bottles weren't clean. I am bottling up my Czech Pils tomorrow and am going to totally clean my bottles, but this time I am going to boil my sugar with water and add that to my beer. Does anyone know how much sugar is used to prime 2 Gallons- and any suggestions, or opinions would be appreciated. Help save my next batch of beer :drinking:

You could try batch priming next time. I've had problems with a few bottles not turning out when I bottled primed and haven't had those same problems with batch priming.

The sugar could be a source of contamination if you just added it without boiling, but I've done the same thing when I bottle primed and was ok. That being said, maybe it was just one bad bottle and the rest of your batch is still ok.

The Witty Monk was one of my absolute favorite recipes, but I did add 1# dme. I've never batch primed, but I did find quite the variation when bottle priming with sugar. I've since switched to glass bottles which I bake to sterilize, and I use the Coopers Carbonation Drops to carb my beer. Since the switch, I have had consistent carbonation and flavor in every batch I have made. :cheers:

Yeah thanks for the advice- I have tried every bottle and it is rampant throughout so far... guess I will just have to chalk this on up to experience. Anyone know how much sugar you use to batch prim? Seem like it should be around one third a cup (or a little less) for a two gallon batch.

A sour off flavor generally indicates bacterial infection or wild yeast. Though it could be the bottles, the fact that all bottles tested have the issue would leave me to suspect that the issue stems back to fermentation. I would review your sanitization procedures on your fermenter and brewing equipment. Also, was the fermenter ever opened for dryhopping or anything during the ferment?

Yeah- it tasted good before I bottled- like a nice wheat beer on it's way to greatness- it wasn't until after priming and bottling that it got the off taste. Like you said- it is in all the bottles, so it probably is something to do with the priming (atleast that is my opinion) so today I batch primed and throughly cleaned my bottles (just in case). Heres to hoping my Czech Pilsner comes out! It has a nice hoppy flavor , I am botling it up today :sweat:

Thanks for the link. I amjust going to have to be more careful in the future. I will be reporting on my next batch in a few weeks: for now just got a sixer of shock top because I will be drinking a wheat beer today- wether I MADE IT or not!

To bad about the Witty Monk it was one of my favorite brews! Good luck with the Czech Pils! :cheers: