Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
T8r Salad

New Cooper's Mr Beer Reviews

Please help me understand what is really going on here with the FREE recipes shipped out to random brewers here and hopefully getting honest, down-to-earth reviews. I can't comprehend that they want the brewers to brew up any concoction with the NEW Basic recipes that come with the instructions on the can and then change or modify the recipes to the brewers whims & wishes. Is this what Mike wants to see or hear? Even The Hat asks us kindly to not stray from the original recipe's intent especially to see how a specific recipe should &/or will taste...and then be able to give Mike & crew an honest opinion of how that specific recipe tastes, good or bad. I am just a wondering (or wandering) fool on the road to some good homebrewing. Please explain for all of us what to expect without changing recipes. TIA

Mike: What are your expectations from this sampling of testers of all the new replacement recipes that are supposed to replace the wonderful ex-Mr Beer recipes / refills??? What say you, sir?

Guest System Admin

A lot of care and planning goes into the formulation of new products, it all begins with an evaluation of existing products, looking for gaps in our lineup. We then brew up test batches trying to match the characteristics that we identified in earlier research. Once we have a repeatable process, we expand our trials internally and gather feedback, we begin to work on naming, and developing descriptions, flavor profiles, etc. We then expand our tests to gather input from some of our loyal customers, we get some samples out into the field to gather feedback and make sure that our descriptions and flavor profiles are accurate. It is for this reason that we ask our testers to follow the directions try and baseline our refills and have everyone brew them exactly the same. There is no question that eventually these base malts will find their way into all sorts of creative recipes and treatments. But that is fun for another day, at that point we really just trying to make sure that our descriptions and profiles are accurate with a wide variety of interpretations.

We requested that testers brew exactly as the instructions indicated and contact us directly with their feedback, so that we could compile the results. Perhaps next time we need to more strongly reinforce this process, since many of our testers have never been involved in a beta test or Pre field trials before.

Once the products ships to customers, the experimentation can begin, however we strongly feel that when evaluating any new product, it is best to understand the base product, then begin to experiment from a known (assuming there is anything you want to change :) )

Cheers,
MikeB

Well... the American Ale is really good.
I'm giving the Bavarian a wee bit more time to see if it's better. But this is NOT to say it was bad.

I thought it was pretty clear that no experimentation should occur - otherwise how would you set a baseline?

Thanks again for the opportunity to participate.

Guest System Admin

"SmokingTony" post=273942 said:

I'd really like a can or two shipped to me so that I could give an unbiased review.

I sure would too!

:lol:

"Kealia" post=273997 said:

I thought it was pretty clear that no experimentation should occur - otherwise how would you set a baseline?

Precisely my point in asking the questions I did. I appreciate Mike answering my post as well since that is what I thought was supposed to happen and only that. Experiment with your own purchased items but the free samples should have been done exactly to recipe instructions. Skewed results only hurts the company and us homebrewers hoping the merger benefits us in the long run.

If/when Mr. Beer sends me a can to beta test, I promise not to deviate from their brewing instructions.

Sign me up!

Many (most?) of us that were fortunate enough to participate in the "beta" did as instructed and brewed them straight up. We were told to either respond directly to MB or post our results on the Borg. I have seen quite a few threads that did just that. And yes, the instructions were very clear.

Here are links to the threads for the two that I am reviewing.

Bavarian Weissbier

Oktoberfest

I certainly appreciate being picked for the trial, and will continue to give an objective review of each brew every week (or two) as they condition.

For the record, if someone asked me to evalute a product and follow specific procedures in doing so, I would certainly oblige.

The beers I've messed with, I've purchased on my own.

yes the instructions were very clear
like not letting the secret out of being beta testers
which some brewers did
which started alot of whinning from others

I beta test tons of software....have for years. I am a mod on the Roxio forum and have been for 11 years. I've also tested Vista and Windows 7 as well as Media Center (cable card tv tuner) for Microsoft.
In all cases, we signed an NDA which was followed to the letter. But, we had a separate section of a forum to discuss our testing which only those testers could enter. If anyone spoke elsewhere, there were booted out.
Of course, this required a few extra $$$ for the forum space as well as 2 or 3 members of the company to watch over that area, answer questions and fix problems. But, it's always worked very well.

For the record, I was not asked to test any product nor am I, in any way, bothered by it. True testing should cover the full realm of home brewing from the new to the very advanced. Otherwise, it's flawed. I see nothing wrong with how Mr. B tested and appreciate the comments I've heard on the new products.

"T8r Salad" post=274009 said:

"Kealia" post=273997 said:

Precisely my point in asking the questions I did. I appreciate Mike answering my post as well since that is what I thought was supposed to happen and only that. Experiment with your own purchased items but the free samples should have been done exactly to recipe instructions. Skewed results only hurts the company and us homebrewers hoping the merger benefits us in the long run.
I did as asked and posted reviews of Porter and Oktoberfest under Basic Recipes.