Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hamburglar57

Suggestions/Ideas wanted for Jalapeno Popcorn Pils

Hi again Beer Borg,

Inspired by Eric Shepard aka Sheppy (as well as by his inspiration from Crazy Brody) I'm wanting to experiment a bit with some of my remaining MR Beer ingredients (I'm moving to 5 gal.) and was intrigued by the idea of a Popcorn Jalapeno beer.

I'd like to make one using the leftover can of Imperial Pilsner seasonal but as the recipe I'm basing this off of was a BIAB, I'm looking for suggestions on how to modify it for use with the seasonal extract.

Here is Sheppy's recipe: http://www.sheppybrew.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?id=39

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Well ... unless you are doing at least a partial mash, forget the popcorn. Without the mash, you won't convert the popcorn to sugar and you'll just be dumping a bunch of starch in your beer.

The popcorn doesn't really give you all that much flavor anyway.

I bet a Jalapeno Imperial Pilsner would be great, though (if you like jalapeno beers).

I would suggest just brewing up your Pilsner ... let it ferment a few days and then add the peppers (sanitized) in a hop sack to the Mr. Beer fermentor.

Basically, just do what Sheppy did, except your base beer is different.

And for goodness sake, leave him a comment on his page letting him know how it turned out.

:chug:

"esheppy" post=274329 said:

Well ... unless you are doing at least a partial mash, forget the popcorn. Without the mash, you won't convert the popcorn to sugar and you'll just be dumping a bunch of starch in your beer.

The popcorn doesn't really give you all that much flavor anyway.

I bet a Jalapeno Imperial Pilsner would be great, though (if you like jalapeno beers).

I would suggest just brewing up your Pilsner ... let it ferment a few days and then add the peppers (sanitized) in a hop sack to the Mr. Beer fermentor.

Basically, just do what Sheppy did, except your base beer is different.

Thanks Eric! Based on your comments I may just go with the Jalapeno Imperial Pilsner but if I decided to do a partial mash with the popcorn, any tips you might have?

And for goodness sake, leave him a comment on his page letting him know how it turned out.

:chug:

Either way, I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out! Thanks for the feedback!

Well ... I am not 100% sure how I would do a partial mash with popcorn. So, there would probably be some trial and error on your part.

For my recipe ... the one you linked to ... a little bigger than a 5 gallon batch ... I would start with (I think) somewhere between a pound and two pounds of standard 2-row malt to the 13oz of popped corn. If you are doing a Mr. Beer sized batch, obviously about half that.

The main thing I am not sure of has to do with the light fluffy nature of the popped corn. The popped corn takes up much more volume than an equal weight of crushed malt. You might need more 2-row to ensure that there is enough to convert that volume of corn.

You will also need a bigger volume vessel (whatever you actually do your mash in) than I typically used when I did partial mashes.

If you look at the article I did on The Homebrew Academy (http://homebrewacademy.com/popcorn-jalapeno-cream-ale), you can see my kid with a good-sized garbage bag pouring in the 13 oz of popped corn.

Anyway ... I have actually gotten a couple of other inquiries on how doing this as a partial mash would go, so if this is something you try, let me know how it goes and I'll share your technique.