Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
boiler47

Beginner

I received as a gift Mr. Beer Brewmasters Select Beer Kit. I made one batch of Wicked Monk that came with the kit and it tasted okay. I am in the process of making the second batch that came with the kit I believe its called American Devil IPA. I just ordered from Mr. Beer the premium Black Tower porter. I guess I have several questions does anyone know where you can purchase the refills at a little better price than $28.00 includes shipping? Also can you use the Mr. Beer kit to brew other receipes? If so how do I know what ingredients to use, how much of each and how to brew it using my kit? Are there any web sites that tell you how to do this? Any help is much appreciated.

Well, my friend, welcome aboard. You've come to the right place. This is as good a place or better than anywhere on the web for you to learn how to make the most out of your Mr Beer kit, including using it for other ingredients outside the Mr Beer product line.

You obviously have someone who loves you very much to give you that high-end kit. I'm jealous. But happy for you.

As for finding the ingredients elsewhere for less, yes, it is very possible. The company and the product line is in a state of change right now, so it's hard to pin down any deals. Recently there was a huge rash of clearance sales all over the place. But now the older inventory is drying up and the sales are not so easy to find.

But follow this forum (the Borg) and especially the threads about sales and bargains. If anything shows up, people will share it here.

All I can say is read your butt off here and you will learn how to get the most out of your kit, how to make the best beer most efficiently. This is your gold mine. Just dig away.

[EDIT] - Probably worth a try to see if Bargain Outfitter's.com has any of the older variety 3-packs left. They were $18.75, with free shipping if you buy 3 of them. Can't beat that with a stick. If you need any help with the item numbers or coupon codes, just holler.

Welcome
If you want to continue your beer brewing with the older and in my opinion better, malts recipes then look to ebay and amazon. You can find great deals on the Premium 2 can HME for $19.95 +or- with free ship.
The other recipes HME are going for about $15 with free ship.
Once these deals are gone your only option is the new Cooper MRB recipes.

Have fun enjoy your homebrew, take the time to read all the new brewer post/stickies.
For now since you are using the canned MRB recipes just follow the directions on the cans and in the MRB Booklet

First of all, welcome to the forum.

You can find Mr Beer refills at a number of online places. Amazon usually has some refills available. WalMart also seems to carry some refills on a regular basis and you can get them shipped to a store for free.

Some places stock it as a seasonal item around Christmas and Fathers day.

You can also cut down on shipping costs by joining the brew club.

As far as making your own recipes, many of us do that. If you go that route, you will need to include a hop boil unless you buy a prehopped extract. There are a lot of places with recipes, although most of those are for 5 gallon recipes. You can adjust them to Mr Beer sized recipes, though. Many of us design our own, but that requires a little understanding of characteristics of various malts and hops.

If you're trying to brew something in particular, people can help with suggestions.

Howdy! Enjoy the obsession. Hope the great folks here can help you out and when you feel confident, pay it forward and help someone out on the forum too.

Happy Brewing!

Boiler47,

Welcome. Make sure your read all of the stickied topics in "New Brewers & FAQS" as well as "Advanced Brewing Techniques".

I had made my first 2 batches prior to discovering all the different things there are to know about brewing. Those topics really helped me along.

My third batch I added DME and hops boils and my 4th, I'll be steeping grains. You can move as slow or fast as you want o. This forum is an amazing source of info.

welcome to the :borg: if you need help tasting new beer, you can mail me some and I will tell you if its good or not. But be warned it may take one or two bottles for me to be absolutly sure.

Thank you all for your responses. A couple of questions what is The Borg forum? And what is DME? I'll read all the FAQ's and stay in touch with this forum. Also thank you all for the welcome

This forum aka Borg Forum

DME Dry Malt Extract. Grains that have been boiled to extract the fermentable sugars ,color, flavor, and dried. Add water heat add yeast and ferment. Same as using a LME liquid malt extract. Both have no hops added.
Should all be explained in the new brewer FAQ and sticky posts.

My suggestion as others have said, brew a few of the canned recipes with no additions. Try some of the new Cooper MRB (C-MRB) recipes.
After you brew a few of these then move on the adding 'stuff' to the wort.
R

On Star Trek (not the original series), there was a "collective" called the borg. They would say resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Same thing happens when you start making beer. You're hooked.

Remember how good 7 of 9 looked in that outfit? Not that I was into that of course, I was there for the Sci Fi.

[attachment=8486]7of9.jpg[/attachment]