Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
1moreplease

Mead

Ok- got a few beers going - Czech pils and Oatmeal stout- so I decided to go out on a limb and try something completely different, MEAD! So I modified a reciepe that is in Papazians book to fit into my LBK.

6 lbs honey
15 oz can Blueberries
1 packet red star champaghne yeast
2 Gallons of water

Made it lastnight- smelled awesome
Brought half gallon of water to boil and then added the honey and let it boil for 20 minutes
Turned off burner and covered- put the pot in ice to bring it down to 160 and added the pureed blueberries and let sit for 15 min (that is supposed to pasteurize the fruit. Then added 4 quarts of cold water to LBK and poured wort to cold water. Then added yeast and let sit for five minutes and then stirred the yeast in and put on the lid and put the LBK in the pantry.

Will give more details and pics soon.

I just racked my first mead on Sunday. I plan on doing that in one month and then bottling in two. Mine is a straight sweet mead with 3.5# if wildflower honey and champagne yeast.
I would be very interested in hearing your results. :cheers:

Here's a vid of mine:

From what I have been reading on the mead forums, you never want to boil honey. They say you lose flavor if you do. Nothing can grow in honey, so there is no reason to boil it. I have made 3 mead's, so far, with one still in an LBK, and making another tomorrow, and I have not boiled my honey, and they turned out great.

I cannot get my house cooled down, so not making beer right now. The wine yeast I use for mead goes up to 95 degrees, and I can keep a LBK around 74 degrees.

"realracer2" post=275256 said:

From what I have been reading on the mead forums, you never want to boil honey. They say you lose flavor if you do. Nothing can grow in honey, so there is no reason to boil it. I have made 2 mead's, so far, making another tomorrow, and I have not boiled my honey, and they turned out great.

I cannot get my house cooled down, so not making beer right now. The wine yeast I use for mead goes up to 95 degrees, and I can keep a LBK around 74 degrees.

Most microorganisms can't grow in honey, but it can (and often does) contain dormant spores. That's why you should never give raw honey to infants. I've never made a mead, but I would think you'd want to pasteurize it, anyway. Boiling may not be necessary, but I wouldn't want to use it raw.

Looks good- going to move mine to carboy this weekend. I will keep you posted and post pics too (eventually)

I read about to boil or not to boil... I just wanted to be extra safe... I had a bad batch of wittymonk a few weeks ago :sick: , so now I am as careful as can be. Did any of you use yeast extract in your mead? I guess because of the lack of nutrients in honey that yeast likes to consume it is added... supposed to cut down on the fermentation time: instead of 3 months to a year it will be more like there weeks. All this info is in Complete joy of home brew... I didn't read that part till lastnight, so I didn't add it to the initial batch... Was thinking about adding it when I move it to my secondary fermenter... Any opinions on that?

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=275106 said:

Next time try apple juice instead of water and it will be CYSER - great stuff too!

:chug:

Smoke- what is the ABV on that? With just honey it is supposed to be between 12-15%- adding apple juice would bump that way up. Guess you could always do Mead shots.... Anyone for a mead/redbull??? :lol:

"1moreplease" post=275338 said:

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=275106 said:

Next time try apple juice instead of water and it will be CYSER - great stuff too!

:chug:

Smoke- what is the APV ABVon that? With just honey it is supposed to be between 12-15%- adding apple juice would bump that way up. Guess you could always do Mead shots.... Anyone for a mead/redbull??? :lol:

Looks pretty good to me 1moreplease.

I've done just a few meads, both boiled (as in burnt honey mead) and not boiled. Either may work fine.

Takes at least 3-4 months for the "hot" alcohol flavor to condition out. Maybe not as noticeable with the fruit addition.

When I made my meads and maple wine, my process evolved to where I always heated to pasturization temps, and held for 20 minutes, but did not boil. I found that they conditioned faster and had better aroma/flavor if I didn't boil the crap out of them.

batch #10 / mead #1 - orange-rasin, dry , hot fusel, at 3 months, i blended some fruit punch in to a gallon, good kick, im hooked on making mead!
[attachment=8522]mead1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8523]mead2.jpg[/attachment]

Wow- Orange rasin, that sounds good, did you you orange juice and orange peel? And how did you do the rasins?

i cut up 3 small oranges in to wedges and stuffed them in and 30 - 40 raisens that i cut in half [be carefull cutting] E-Z TO DOO....

looks good , i added some fruit juice [1-cup per gal] when i transfered to 2nd bottle
[attachment=8538]mead13sweet.jpg[/attachment]

Will be interested in hearing of your results... I'm drinking my mead right now that I started during May of 2010. Quite good...

i racked every 3-4 weeks, for 3 months. i know it will improve in a year. but its so good. is it realy worth the 1-year wait?
[attachment=8539]mead13_2012-07-22.jpg[/attachment]

"jersey john" post=275997 said:

... i added some fruit juice [1-cup per gal] ...

Have you had time to judge how that ratio works? I just made my first mead yesterday, and I plan to add cranberry to the seondary, but I'm totally guessing how much to put in. It's a 32 oz jar (3 gal of mead), so I was just going to add the whole jar. That's about 1.25 cups/gal.

I don't want it to come out as a "hard cran" though - I'd prefer it to be somewhat subtle - a "mead with cran", vs a "cran with alcohol".

Just wondering how the cup:gal ratio turned out...

my first mead was good and dry & fusel at 3 months, too hot for me i added a LOT of fruit punch & it was so good [to me] my 2nd mead [cyster] is not as hot and darker in color [brown sugar 1,lb per gal] but i think it needs less fruit juice. i have had a sample at 9:40pm 7/23/12,great smooth and sweet at 3 weeks on wed 7/25/12, i will take [FG] final-gravity in 2-3 weeks,
[attachment]mead3.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:2]2 jug mead.jpg[/attachment]

Wow! 2 year old mead- I am sure it is incredible- but I don't know if I can wait that long. I know I am going to give it a try as soon as it clears. I am just a new brewer though - patience is not a virtue that I have learned quite yet... As for the ratio of fruit to honey I am not sure- I just figured that I would follow Mr Beer guidelines for a 2 gallon batch of beer- so not to overwhelm the taste - just to add to it. I guess time will tell...Oh BTW I used a 15 oz can of fruit in mine

"1moreplease" post=276354 said:

Wow! 2 year old mead- I am sure it is incredible- but I don't know if I can wait that long. I know I am going to give it a try as soon as it clears. I am just a new brewer though - patience is not a virtue that I have learned quite yet... As for the ratio of fruit to honey I am not sure- I just figured that I would follow Mr Beer guidelines for a 2 gallon batch of beer- so not to overwhelm the taste - just to add to it. I guess time will tell...Oh BTW I used a 15 oz can of fruit in mine

In my thread regarding this mead, you'll note that my first taste was at 6 months, and it was pretty alcohol-forward and really just so-so. Each subsequent taste was better. I still noted not really liking it much at the one year mark. But, after two years it's pretty darn good. Some things take time... ;)

OK- the pic is my hydro reading at three weeks fermenting. This thing is at 15% alcohol! I read that I should bottle it when it has cleared, my question is how clear, if you compare my first pic to my most recent it has cleared alot, and now my hydro reading is 0.990 from the OG of 1.110

mead #2 cyster [OG - 1.145] AND [FG - 1.040] avb 13.78 !!!!!!!! at 1 month old !!!!!!!!!!
[attachment=8607]galmead.jpg[/attachment]