Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
drichardson

Using multiple cans of Oregon Fruit in Mr. Beer?

Hey guys!

Quick question and perhaps a srupid one. I want to make a VERY fruit flavored beer, I mean, one that really has the taste. So, I picked up a can of High Country Canadian Draft HME and two cans of Oregon Blueberries. I was also considering a half cup honey. Problem that I realized was that my malt to adjunct ratio is way off! I've read that it gives it a "cidery taste" when this is done. Is it a bad taste though or just a non-beer taste? I'm making this recipe mostly catered for women and for those days that something light and fruity sounds good so I'm taking the focus off of beer but at the same time, I don't want it to taste like garbage.

Also, I plan on adding a can at the beginning of fermentation and then about 7 to 8 days later to really boost the flavor and spread it out. Might even use a touch of extract at bottling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Others may chime in, but my experience with my cidery tasting beers isn't good. It's not pleasant. I wouldn't say you couldn't drink it...but for me it's that one gland at the back of my jaw, just curls in a not with that taste.

I've heard of doing fruit over a wheat base, but less so over other bases. The HCCD is good so maybe the substance of that beer will hold it. Two cans may be too much (but its certainly above the malt:adjunct point). Also, me personally, I wouldn't put one in at the beginning of fermentation. I'd suggest one at 5 days and another at 8-to-10 days and then give it another full week to ferment (whatever your normal fermentation time...tack on a week to be sure).

I think it largely depends on what your goal is. Are you trying to make a beer with blueberry flavor or a cider with a little malt flavor?

I think your recipe would be more of a cider than a beer.

If you want the berry flavor to really pop, you may want to consider adding some sort of extract at bottling time.

In my experience.. adding more blueberries won't really add THAT much flavor. The sugars will be converted, and the taste will go byby.
Like BP has said, for the "Flavor", you might be better off with the flavor extracts. be careful with the amount you use as well... more isn't nesessarily better.
For a MB/LBK size, maybe 1~1.5 oz of extract. Two oz is getting really close to too much.

Thanks for all of the help guys! I've read a lot of extracts as well. Any suggestions on sites or places that would carry berry flavored extracts at a reasonable price? Also, with the feedback you have given me, perhaps I will just still with the one can of blueberries and add them in after primary fermentation.

Is extract better at bottling on while fermenting?

And as far as the flavor I am going for, I'm personally a fan of hard ciders and flavored ciders so that's why I was curious about the flavor of it. I'm not putting a lot of emphasis on the "beer or malt" flavor of this as I am trying to really target people who aren't huge beer fans to being with, i.e. my Mom haha!

Thanks again guys!

I thought the raspberry wheat was a good, light, fruity beer that would not over power the ladies.

So after all of this I'm going to just stick with one can of fruit and possibly get some extract but when is the best time and how much to add of any given extract? I've been reading about a wide variety of numbers and amounts to use on extracts online. Any advice guys? Also, after you add the fruit like a week after you start fermentation, how much long should you wait to bottle or check SG?

You could put a little bit in each bottle at bottling time, although it can be a pain. If you go that route, I'd recommend a medicine dropper or cap where you could measure out about 2 milliliters per bottle.

I've only tried the extract one time -- I added 1.5 oz to the LBK before placing it into the refrigerator for the cold crash. I bottled it up 48 hours later.

Rick