Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
duggersd

Thoughts on the Merger?

I have brewed Mr. Beer for several years. Many of my friends rave about the flavor of these beers. I have brewed a couple brews with the new recipes since the merger. I am also a brew club member. I do not mind raising the minimum purchase for free shipping, but I do have to say I miss the little freebie that was tossed in. The item was also something I awaited with anticipation.
I brewed the Azteca and the Patriot American Lager. I am somewhat disappointed in the Azteca as it does not have the robust flavor I am used to from Mr. Beer recipes. I just bottled the Patriot American Lager. I tasted it out of curiosity. I believe I am going to find that somewhat disappointing as well. What have the rest of you found in the new recipes? Are your experiences like mine or do I need to just keep trying new ones. My next one will be Canadian Blonde. I have an open mind, but if I do not find something that is a little more robust, I may try to find a different way. And please, consider putting those little freebies in the order again!

I am at the cusp of being able to do some real evaluation. Based upon my brewing experience with the new extracts, I have liked the aromas and wort taste better than mr. beer. That, unfortunately, may not translate into the final product.

So far I have two recipes conditioning that are made from the new extracts. I have a patriot lager with blueberries that is ready to drink as soon as I get some room in the fridge. And in a couple of weeks I will be able to open up a bottle of the Staggerback Stout.

The Staggerback Stout tasted real promising going into the bottle, we will see.

Just in general, I would like so see some more variety in styles and some new premium refills show up.

Hopefully I will be able to add some better data soon with respect to the beer tasting angle.

I am of similar mind as you in regard to the changes that the Cooper's buyout of MrBeer not showing an real benefit to its customers with regard to the product. I have the same positive experience with the "old" MrB refills and while I haven't brewed any of the new ones the general conciseness of reviews on this site so far have not been favorable. This is especially disappointing in light of the price increases. While the MrBeer management has indicated that the change will be good for its customers when all the products are revealed I'm pretty skeptical.

:pound:

If you are open to trying the new basic refills, I highly recommend the Bavarian Weissbier. I brewed it straight up per the directions, and it is very very good for a single can of HME with no additions. It went into my drinking rotation after 2 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks in the bottle. I have shared it with a few friends, and they agree that it is very good beer.

My Bavarian Weiss review: not impressed. I did the 2-2-2. Not enough malt. That's the bottom line. Merger stinks. I've got the Pilsner due in a couple of weeks. My hopes are not high based on the Bavarian.

maybe the new name should be [ MR.COOPER'S BEER ]
[attachment=8515]MR.BEERKIT.jpg[/attachment]

Guest System Admin

I agree with GWCR on the BW, I believe it is a good "Light" Weiss beer.

But I think Mr. Beer needs to get the act togather soon or risk having customers go some place else.

Being out of UME and many other items sold out and only "COMING SOON!" only last so long, going on 2 months and nothing looking in near future is a real problem

As a complete newbie on here (being low on the pecking order) I have to say I find myself surfing for the premium refills on Mr. Beer and they are disappearing. To me a merger is 50/50- IE some of the old stuff and some of the new stuff. It appears the old stuff is going away. I haven't purchased any of the new stuff and find myself looking elsewhere to find the premium refills such as amazon and other various places. I've brewed 6 batches and been extremley happy with what was available on Mr. Beer. As I did research, I found those refills were proven. I can't say that about what has come out recently with the standard refills. I don't even look at the standard refill section. As a matter of fact I've been looking at other alternatives to brewing such as other extracts. I'd like to stay with Mr. Beer but when I look at the website, there isn't any indication of what to expect in the future or a ticker type notification to alert brewers there is a new recipe or what to anticipate in the coming weeks/months. Just my 2 cents worth.

A merger is theoretically 50-50, but in realty, it never is.

However, this wasn't a merger. It was a purchase. Mr beer is now owned by Coopers. They make their own malt extracts. Why would they pay a competitor to make extracts for them?

I've never used Coopers hopped extracts, but my lube used to sell LME in bulk for a great price, so I've made a lot of beer with Coopers LME, and I've always found it to be very high quality.

I think we'll see some quality products as time goes on.

"bpgreen" post=275354 said:

However, this wasn't a merger. It was a purchase. Mr beer is now owned by Coopers. They make their own malt extracts. Why would they pay a competitor to make extracts for them?

I've never used Coopers hopped extracts, but my lube used to sell LME in bulk for a great price, so I've made a lot of beer with Coopers LME, and I've always found it to be very high quality.

Well, if we can use it as lube also, that makes it an even better bargain. (I know, auto-complete... always makes for good fun).

"Joechianti" post=275356 said:

Well, if we can use it as lube also, that makes it an even better bargain. (I know, auto-complete... always makes for good fun).

Lube is a good thing sometimes Joe :lol:

As for the new HME's I'm letting the jury make the judgement on that as I have plenty of the Old refills in my cupboard.

"Joechianti" post=275356 said:

Argh. I didn't even check, because LHBS is in my autocorrect dictionary.

Just when I thought I had all the acronyms down, lube comes along.... :silly:

"dbark" post=275363 said:

Local Utah Beer Emporium.

"vitch61" post=275316 said:

My Bavarian Weiss review: not impressed. I did the 2-2-2. Not enough malt. That's the bottom line. Merger stinks. I've got the Pilsner due in a couple of weeks. My hopes are not high based on the Bavarian.

I'm looking forward to trying mine, but I added a lb of wheat dme.
Just brewed it on the 16th so it will be sometime in September befote I try it.

"bpgreen" post=275365 said:

I went to one of those in Provo. Where all the evil BYU students went. Drank pitchers of 3.2 beer while watching strange b movies/exploitation films from the 60's/70's and films of giant mechanical robot war compititions. It was so not Mormon.

"mashani" post=275371 said:

I went to one of those in Provo. Where all the evil BYU students went. Drank pitchers of 3.2 beer while watching strange b movies/exploitation films from the 60's/70's and films of giant mechanical robot war compititions. It was so not Mormon.

I think you're confused.

There are only two lubes (three if you count Art's), none in happy valley (aka Utah county, where Provo is).

Well, as for thoughts on the merger, we've sure beaten that horse to death once or twice already. But now that we've had a little more time to digest things, maybe we can beat it a little more.

I, for one, have probably tempered my position. I still think the standard refills are, as they always have been, a little too "thin" for a person who likes a hearty brew. [edit] This is based purely on reviews and logical assessment of the amount of ingredients being sold, not from personal tasting]. But let's face it, there's a heck of a lot of people out there, outside of this forum, who actually prefer a not-so-hearty brew. I think we here tend to be more of the hearty brew type than the general public.

I still am not jumping up and down for joy that the new standards are "thin" as the old ones were but they cost more. I know the booster was replaced by malt, but probably not quite enough malt to make the beer any "richer". Again, a matter of taste.

At the same time, while I'm not yet won over by the new products, I have strengthened my positive feelings for the people behind the company, at least the Mr Beer part of the company. Where I'm at right now is that I think there's still some work to be done to get the new product line to the right place where it's a good value, but I think that work is being done as we speak. I don't know if the new products will be modified to justify the higher prices (highly impractical at this point), or if the prices will be modified to more accurately reflect the new products (much more practical), or if neither of those will be done and something completely different is done.

But I've definitely moved over to the camp that says give them more time and see what they can show us. They have always been excellent to their customers, and they deserve the benefit of the doubt. As for Cooper's, Mike tells us that he and the rest of the old Mr Beer staff feel strongly in their hearts that the Cooper family shares their same values.

I'm not going to lie. If the prices are higher than the relative value I get from the new product line when the dust settles, and if I can find a better value elsewhere, of course I'll do what must be done to keep my family budget afloat. But even if that were to become the case, I would still consider Mr Beer a quality company with a quality product. Just priced for a slightly more financially comfortable customer than myself. I bet I'll still use the Mr Beer equipment and maybe even treat myself once in awhile to a Mr Beer refill when I can splurge. But I'll always be looking to make a case of decently rich beer for about $12, whatever it takes. Even if it has to be gluten-free, as sad as that is.

So I vote with those who said, "let's keep an open mind".

P.S. - Nobody can be all things to all people. (Well, sometimes we can have tiers of products that cover a wider spectrum, financially. But that's another story).

Mr Beer really does pretty darn good at delivering a quality product, and they can't just offer a welfare program for those with low-incomes. Maybe I would like a Mercedes but can't afford it. Does Mercedes owe it to me to price one so I can afford it?

No matter what lies ahead, as others have said, I too will always be grateful for the start they made possible for me in my brewing career.

"bpgreen" post=275374 said:

I think you're confused.

There are only two lubes (three if you count Art's), none in happy valley (aka Utah county, where Provo is).

Must be something else... I don't understand clubs/pubs/and lubes. UT is weird. This was some kind of private club, except they gave us temporary "membership".

"mashani" post=275384 said:

I think you're confused.

Must be something else... I don't understand clubs/pubs/and lubes. UT is weird. This was some kind of private club, except they gave us temporary "membership".

There used to be some requirement for memberships for certain establishments that were called clubs. These had a different kind of license than other places where you could buy alcohol. I forget the details, but I think at that time, if it wasn't a club, they could only serve alcohol if you also ordered food. In theory, you needed to be invited by a member to join the club. So a bunch of clubs made their bouncers members and if you wanted to "join", they'd sell you a one-day membership at the door, so it kind of morphed into a pseudo cover charge. I think they did away with the private clubs about the same time they made homebrewing legal here.

I can agree with your thoughts to allow some time for things to iron out. My concern though is in the taste of the brew I have made compared with those I have done in the past. Also, would it kill them to include those little freebies? It was like Christmas anticipating seeing what was in there.

The price equation for Cooper's MrBeer is pretty simple in my mind.

I can buy a new standard refill for $18 plus shipping for a thin case of beer.

I can buy a 3.75 pound of Cooper's HME for $18 plus shipping and get 2 good cases of beer.

Why are we paying such a premium for the MrBeer version? I know that smaller generally equals a little more cost to produce and distribute. But TWICE the cost for the smaller size is tough for me to understand especially in today's competitive environment.

So at the end of the day if the cost/value is not there I will continue to use the MrBeer equipment and method and find other sources of ingredients.

Joe its not about customers being rich or poor but having the customer feel like they are getting a good value.

:cheers:

Somethings not right when I see every single beer is 3.7%abv how's that even possible?

"duggersd" post=275419 said:

I can agree with your thoughts to allow some time for things to iron out. My concern though is in the taste of the brew I have made compared with those I have done in the past. Also, would it kill them to include those little freebies? It was like Christmas anticipating seeing what was in there.

What freebies are you talking about? The only freebies that I've ever seen were a few items thrown in with a Brew Club order - but that's only once.

"mrblase" post=275421 said:

So at the end of the day if the cost/value is not there I will continue to use the MrBeer equipment and method and find other sources of ingredients.

Joe its not about customers being rich or poor but having the customer feel like they are getting a good value.

MR,
Our positions are so close to being the same. I see your point about value still meaning something even to someone who can afford not to worry about it. I may have overgeneralized, only considering those who can and those who can't, leaving out those who can but shouldn't have to. I personally know people who have enough money, and are not necessarily wealthy folks, but do have enough money that if they want something they don't care what it costs, they just want it so they get it. I also know people who don't need to worry about the cost, but still do anyway, and even clip coupons and such. I know that I can only allow myself $20 per week for personal pleasure, no matter what. If I spend $60 this week, I better get enough to last three weeks.I guess I just focused on a narrow section of the overall picture and drilled it down to those who literally could not afford the few extra dollars and those who could. But you are right, there is a principal involved concerning value to folks at any income level. I stand corrected.

Joechianti,

We are essentially in complete agreement just getting to it from slightly different points of view.

I enjoy reading all your posts and positions on topics presented here.

:chug:

"mrblase" post=275447 said:

Joechianti,

We are essentially in complete agreement just getting to it from slightly different points of view.

I enjoy reading all your posts and positions on topics presented here.

:chug:

Thanks. And that goes both ways.

Guest System Admin

Joe,
I am also in the wait and see camp, but the big issue is time......

It keeps ticking by and product is running out but no "Coming soon... New UME brand X" or anything other than site saying "No longer Available."

I know Cooper had a ton of UME(LME) just before the announcement, why can't they get some cans available to Mr. Beer so the customers see product not empty shelf's

"Trollby" post=275463 said:

Joe,
I am also in the wait and see camp, but the big issue is time......

It keeps ticking by and product is running out but no "Coming soon... New UME brand X" or anything other than site saying "No longer Available."

I know Cooper had a ton of UME(LME) just before the announcement, why can't they get some cans available to Mr. Beer so the customers see product not empty shelf's

I'm just gonna take a guess here and say that it's probably not so much that they can't get the new stuff but rather that they're waiting for all the old stuff to be gone. That way neither one will overshadow the other one so much. They put the standard refill line out there probably to see the reaction, or test the waters. But putting the entire line out there while still having a bunch of the old line may just be too much. If people like the new line better, they could get stuck with a bunch of the old stuff that people stop buying. If people like the old stuff better, that will spoil the roll-out of the new stuff. They apparently aggressively unloaded a bunch of the old stuff through third party online vendors, and that is slowly coming to a halt, so it may not be too much longer. Not to mention, if the third party vendors agreed to help them unload the old stuff, there's no point in cutting their neck by completely rolling out the new line before they're done unloading the old. Now, for the record, I'm not saying people will prefer the old line and I'm not saying they'll prefer the new line. But if there's virtually only one line to be had, that would reduce the controversy quite a bit.

I just bought a Monton's 3 lb. 5 oz. Mexican Cervesa kit (for a 5 gal. brew) for $15.99 at my LHBS. No cost for shipping beyond the gas I used to go there. It will make two batches of Mr. Beer LBKs. I wonder what Cooper's will do to get me to buy their 2.5 gal. malt at $17.95?

"TimeTraveler" post=275493 said:

I just bought a Monton's 3 lb. 5 oz. Mexican Cervasa kit (for a 5 gal. brew) for $15.99 at my LHBS. No cost for shipping beyond the gas I used to go there. It will make two batches of Mr. Beer LBKs. I wonder what Cooper's will do to get me to buy their 2.5 gal. malt at $17.95?

Time: However and whenever they do, they will gladly ship it to you for a flat rate fee of $7.95, regardless of how much Cerveza you buy from them. What they have to do to justify the purchase of Mr Beer (the premium they paid to Mr Beer) is to repackage the 3+ # can of Coopers Mexican Cerveza into two Mr Beer Coopers 1.8# cans and resell it for more than what you paid for the larger can twice over. If they sell it to whoever is the sucker to do so...why not, Capitalism at its finest. More power to them if they achieve that. I love capitalism. I also love the freedom to say NO.

Just ordered some "old" MrBeer refills on Amazon. Price was below what I would have paid from MrB if they had any of them in stock and with free shipping I'm good with the total cost. Now I can continue to brew my best recepies a while longer.

:banana:

"TimeTraveler" post=275493 said:

I just bought a Monton's 3 lb. 5 oz. Mexican Cervasa kit (for a 5 gal. brew) for $15.99 at my LHBS. No cost for shipping beyond the gas I used to go there. It will make two batches of Mr. Beer LBKs. I wonder what Cooper's will do to get me to buy their 2.5 gal. malt at $17.95?

While you are getting twice the malt for a few bucks less, which is a good deal, aren't you still getting a thin 3%ish beer out of these kits, or are you adding additional malts?

I know curiosity killed the cat, but I'm still mighty curious about how well the new product line from Coopers is selling so far under the Mr Beer label. That would tell a story right there.

All I can say is that I made the 2 brews Mr Beer sent me, like a newbie (AA & PL)
I judged them like a real AHA judge.
Both beers scored 2 stars which is "Drinkable"
I'm going to a clam bake this weekend with a lot of Stella/Corona fans in attendance.
So, I'll bring some limes & lay it on them. They'll love it & nothing will go to waste.

I have refrained from joining these threads so far.. and boy there have been a few. I could not resist any more, so...

Overall I am pleased with the direction the company seems to be taking, but I think it is too early to truly judge. It seems to me that the decision must have happened pretty quickly. The current refills I are at least partially off the shelf from Coopers. I expect that there will be reformulated version of the the original malts later as well as some version of the premium options. I think it is safe assumption that the biggest sales season for Mr. Beer is the holidays. I am holding off judgment until after Christmas this year. I will be stunned if we don't see a bunch of new stuff released/announced before October.

RDWHAHB.

I think it will be before October. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't at least hear about something in the next 30 days or so.
I think they've been thinking about this for some time and now that it's been at least 30 days, they've had enough time to actually plan, and having actual product to ship can't be that far behind.

All I got to say is.....

IT BETTER BE BEFORE OCTOBER!

They missed the Summer seasonal and Promised a Fall seasonal.

Just a Heads up..... I brewed my first fall seasonal last year JULY 31, 2011.

That ment about this time we got DIBS and we got the orders in around July 25.

So they need to get the ducks in a row or another Seasonal wil come and go with out us buying

"bpgreen" post=275416 said:

"mashani" post=275384 said:

I think you're confused.

There used to be some requirement for memberships for certain establishments that were called clubs. These had a different kind of license than other places where you could buy alcohol. I forget the details, but I think at that time, if it wasn't a club, they could only serve alcohol if you also ordered food. In theory, you needed to be invited by a member to join the club. So a bunch of clubs made their bouncers members and if you wanted to "join", they'd sell you a one-day membership at the door, so it kind of morphed into a pseudo cover charge. I think they did away with the private clubs about the same time they made homebrewing legal here.

I remember going to TGI Fridays in Provo, near the hotel we stayed in while on business. They had a bar. It was like every other TGI Fridays in layout. Except the bar was unstaffed, and you could not sit there. You could order a beer at the table. They would give you that one beer after staring at you like you had horns sprouted from your head. If you tried to order a second beer, they refused to serve it to you.... that's why we found the "club". Nice to know things are better now.

RE: the LME not being there yet, my thoughts are that if they simply put out the same sized cans of LME as their new HMEs, they would be more or less useless as an adjunct in a "Mr. Beer" style beer, IE one where you do not do a hop boil. The current HMEs, except for the stout, porter, american ale, and pils, maybe one more? do not appear to be hopped at a level to support adding any malt to them without a bittering boil. So I figure that's part of the problem, and we will see smaller cans or smaller bags of dme. My hope is they put out some hopped (bittering only) extracts of some type, those would be more useful additions to build recipes around without a long boil. You could use them and the HMEs do a flavor/aroma boil, and build decent things.

The only real reason I use Mr. Beer HMEs is to build on top of, to give me a base with a profile that I like and save me bittering boil time when I don't have it. It's why I liked ADIPA so much, and the old OVL and Red and Sticky Wicket extracts too. You could take a couple cans of that, add 1# of malt and just about any kind of hops and make very good beer in under 30 minutes, or under an hour if you do a steep.

If I can't save time using them, they don't do me any good.

EDIT: I want a new seasonal badly too. It's nice to just brew something fast and get a good and unique beer out of it.

"stevecon" post=275542 said:

+1 on what mashani said.

I agree. Provo sucks.

I can't speak for anyone but myself. Upon reflection, I am coming to realize just how much class the people who run Mr. Beer really have. I admit, lately I have so thoughtfully pointed out both the positives and the negatives about the company and about the merger and about the products.

But I started to put myself in their shoes and look at all of this from their position. I find that I learn a lot about myself whenever I try to put myself in someone else's shoes. They have patiently listened to all of my complaints without telling me to shove off, which is probably what I would do if someone criticized me almost non-stop.

Have I even bothered to ask if the merger is going well for the folks who have been so good to me as a customer all along? I've been so worried about how this is going to affect me and my brewing and my budget. I haven't even given a thought to whether or not the company is struggling with all these changes. I don't even know if sales are good or bad. I didn't bother to ask. For all I know, they could be struggling with this transition.

But that's not the point. The point is that I only cared about myself and not about the people who have been good to me all along. I'm not so proud of myself right now. I know that a few others have expressed concern recently for the good people that work at and run the company, and I now appreciate the class in that. I just need to learn a little class myself.

So what if there are problems to be worked out? That's no excuse for selfish behavior. To the staff at Mr. Beer, from top to bottom, I thank you for all you do and for your graciousness in letting us speak our minds here, basically in your living room, without telling us to go to hell when we speak negatively about you.

I just stopped and took a good look at myself and realized that if anyone was speaking about me publicly in a negative way, how would I feel? It's like I was thinking that my feelings are important, but the good folks at Mr. Beer apparently don't have any feelings to get hurt. I am calling myself out for being a selfish cad.

Not sure I agree with you Joe, but I do understand where you are coming from.
What you say is bashing, and some of it may be, I feel is in some form, a cry for help. "Help us help you" We liked what we had, we were experienced in using your product, and now, some feel left out while the chips are still falling.
Without a good product available like they had, we are looking elsewhere. They can't win if they don't play. I'm not so sure it's selfish to want to continue to expect and buy a reilable product from a company. The best success in a merger is when the customers don't even know it happened, Unless it is in a positive way.

Now, I'm just expressing from what I've read. If I misinterpreted what I read from everyone, I'm sorry....

What can I say, if it weren't for Mr. Beer and their friendly support and easy to brew products I wouldn't even be brewing beer today. Fast forward to today, I really don't find their products at all necessary for my type of brewing which has been all grain for years now.

I don't see how their business model could survive without changing it to offer an advanced brewer product line in order to hold on to those newby brewers that advance to the next level of brewing.

"mtsoxfan" post=275570 said:

Not sure I agree with you Joe, but I do understand where you are coming from.
What you say is bashing, and some of it may be, I feel is in some form, a cry for help. "Help us help you" We liked what we had, we were experienced in using your product, and now, some feel left out while the chips are still falling.
Without a good product available like they had, we are looking elsewhere. They can't win if they don't play. I'm not so sure it's selfish to want to continue to expect and buy a reilable product from a company. The best success in a merger is when the customers don't even know it happened, Unless it is in a positive way.

Now, I'm just expressing from what I've read. If I misinterpreted what I read from everyone, I'm sorry....

Mike,

I appreciate your honesty, and I agree that there certainly is some validity to many of the comments everyone has made. I guess for me, the expression, "It's not what you say, but how you say it" applies to me. I only speak for myself and nobody else. I feel bad about generally being too one-sided in criticizing and focusing far too much on my own needs. I just feel like I had gotten a little too unfeeling about the human faces behind the company, and I don't feel good about doing that. I have no right or intention to presume to speak for anyone else, and I hope I didn't give that impression.

Joe, I know your heart is in the right place, and I didn't read into what you wrote as unfeeling to the faces... you, and pretty much everyone else was commenting on the business decisions they have made. The merger hasn't been carried out in a manner that is in the best interest of the customer. It may have been carried out the best way the circumstances at the time dictated. I/we don't know who is making these decisions, but I feel, as long as it doesn't get personal, it should be taken as constructive criticism. That is valuable feeback for them.I do think that is the intent, both from you and the others who have commented. People on here want to buy from Mr Beer, and are only making comments to help them. Is there some frustration, I think so.
I am not affected by all this. I have made some purchases in the past, but am moving upwards like some others, all 5 gal batches. I do recommend Mr. Beer as a starting point to others. I wish them the best, as I have learned a lot from participating in this great forum they have provided. Maybe when the smoke clears, they will offer some additional products as Screwy eluded to. Most companies don't merge/aquire to stay the same size.

Bottom line, don't be so hard on yourself. I don't think you wrote anything to hang your head over

Guest System Admin

My thoughts are that I have moved far enough along I order when the Seasonals come out, and if they do not get the seasonals out I do not order.

I feel there are many more like me out there.

This is hurting Mr. Beer since that means loss income, and I want Diane as well as the other MB staff to have a job, but if they keep getting less and less Items that means people will see how they can get by cheaper and X-mas sales are a long way off.

This time of year it is all last years X-mas and Fathersday sales that buy. But if the choices are very limited, these people will go else were and may loose sales for EVER.

Was this a merger or an acquisition? Seems the term merger might not be accurate... :side:

"bpgreen" post=275544 said:

"stevecon" post=275542 said:

+1 on what mashani said.

I agree. Provo sucks.
Uhhhh, errrrr. I guess I should clarify.....The second part of his post is to what I'm referring. As far as Provo, I have to take your word for it, Utah is a strange state in regards to alcohol.

"packerduf" post=275614 said:

"hilkertj" post=275611 said:

Was this a merger or an acquisition? Seems the term merger might not be accurate... :side:

Under the circumstances, I'm going with merger.

Acquisition vs Merger

I'm going with hostile takeover. Cuz after this takeover, the hostility towards the firm(s) starts when we cant get The Original Mr Beer (& I know I am not the only one who believes this to be true) anymore. Unless of course, they rethink their business strategies. I dont really understand how this benefits Mr Beer & their core customers (read: US). I am stepping away from this dead horse now.

Acquisition vs Merger

Interestingly, on the page where they made the announcement, they described it using both acquisition and merger.

"bpgreen" post=275622 said:

Acquisition vs Merger

Interestingly, on the page where they made the announcement, they described it using both acquisition and merger.

A hot mess would best describe it. Sounds like they closed the deal without a real plan in place for going forward.

If it was a merger then the best of both companies would eventually find there way into the product mix. Since its an acquisition the acquiring company eliminated all the acquired product of MrBeer and replaced it with their product. Apparently Cooper's believed that the value of MrBeer was NOT the beer but the brand name, distribution channels and market share.

We on the other hand, for the most part as user's of MrBeer products feel that the value is in the extracts. Well we lost as we were not considered or consulted for our opinion.

I've been a corporate financial guy for a lot of years and have been through buy outs, mergers, acquisitions and other combinations and the company that is spending the money is in the driver's seat. Cooper's is driving the new MrBeer, which isn't going to be the old MrBeer products as is evident so far.

It's not about the MrBeer employees either. They had no real say in the deal, only the owners did and I'm sure that they tried and are continuing to try to protect them as they are a real asset.

Only time will tell if Cooper's will be a better product for the small LBK market than the original MrBeer for us the "old" customers. Customers that come after us will know no better since they will only have Cooper's product exposure. In essence Cooper's bought the MrBeer branding, distribution channels, employee assets and market share but not the product.

I intended to stay out of this, but I guess I'll throw my dos centavos in...

First, I really like the Mr. B people I've interacted with. Second, I wouldn't have started brewing without the Mr. B products. Those two things give them a bunch of brand loyalty points from me.

Am I the target brewer for them? Much like Screwy said, I've been AG for 1.5-2 years now, so obviously not. Thus, my opinion may not be the one they are seeking. That being said, I had got into the habit in the last year of keeping cans of their extract on hand when I saw them on sale and used them to get some quick fermenter fills going, so maybe I still am a bit of a target.

Regardless, here are my thoughts whether they are solicited or not...

- After tasting two of the new products, I unfortunately was not impressed. With the old extracts, I had a handful (BRA, OVL) that I did straight-up with great result more than once, and others (WCPA, CABA, HCCD, CGL) that fell more into the builder category for my taste. These two really didn't meet either category for me. I considered not posting reviews that were somewhat negative here, but decided to go ahead and post them since I believe they wanted our honest opinions. I'm hoping to hear some better reviews of some of the other extracts, but the American was underwhelming, and the Patriot was even moreso. Maybe our reviews will affect the product being sold in some fashion.

- That all being said, I've only tasted two beers from two different extracts. There are other extracts available, and tastes vary. But, in my cost/benefit weighted mind, I can't justify purchasing any of these, because I know I can a) get extracts at the LHBS for far cheaper, and B) can make tasty brews all-grain for even cheaper still. Again, that may not be everyone's circumstance... you may not AG, and you may not have convenient LHBS options. But with three kids, etc., it's hard to justify paying this much more (I can get HME options at the LHBS that are double the malt for $15-20, for instance, or extracts that are comparable in size to double the seasonals for $26-30, and of course I can go much, much cheaper with AG) just for brand loyalty, especially considering the only tasting opportunity I've had with the new extracts was underwhelming. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to change my opinion in the future, especially since...
- On the good side, I've heard from Mr. B reps on here that UME, seasonals, bigger fermenters, and even grains are on the table in the near term. That's all good news. Very glad to hear it, and very interested to see what is to come.

So, in conclusion... I'm doing the sit-back-and-wait thing at this point. I think/believe/hope that the product to come for the rest of the year will interest me from a quality/price point/uniqueness perspective.

I have read that the Monton's Mexican Cervesa is hoppier than most Mexican beers. So I probably will add a pound of Monton's Extra Light DME to each LBK brew when I make them. However, based on what folks are saying about the Cooper's brews, I would likely do the same with them (and even add some hops).

FWIW, I think the patersbier that I made with the new Pilsners and some extra hops and malt is going to turn out very nice based on how it tasted when I bottled it.

In my homebrew club I got a little something every time. It might be a coaster, a glass. One time I got a hops measure. I even got a bottle washer that I cannot figure out how to use. They were just little things that were kind of cool to get. Maybe I got some of them because my homebrew club membership was grandfathered in. Also, shipping was free for $35 orders. Now it is $50. I can live with that; I just have to order three at a time instead of two. But unless I can find something with the kind of taste I am used to, I may not be ordering any.

I am fairly new at homebrewing. One year in(20 or so batches). And I must thank mr. beer for getting me started in the homebrew business.
I was happy with the ingredients and recipes they offered and was just starting to experiment with custom recipes.
So far, I'm not happy about the merger/buyout because there seems to be fewer options in the ingredient department on top of increased prices.
Maybe the new owners will soon increase our selection and that will be great. But until then I am aggressively searching for other options for brewing supplies.

So far, I'm not happy about the merger/buyout because there seems to be fewer options in the ingredient department on top of increased prices.

I am sure the number of options available for brewing will increase once the old inventory is cleared. I am not as certain about the pricing of any new malt mixtures dropping from those already listed, though. That we will have to see as the new HMEs become available.