Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
D Rabbit

Terrible Customer Service + Great Customer Service

= A happy customer

Let me elaborate. My cell phone has been acting a bit weird for the past month or so. The port that you connect the charger to has become quite loose and it is hard to get a good connection to charge the phone. My phone died finally today and wouldn't recharge. So off to Verizon I went, with the intentions of them having their tech department do a quick tighten job on it and out the store I go....... BUT WAIT!! Verizon eliminated the Tech department from all of their stores!! So how does one get a phone repaired without having to get a new one you ask?? YOU DON'T!! I was told that I would need to purchase a new phone with an upgrade option or buy the phone straight up. Needless to say I almost punched the guy in the face. Being in the customer service field I know that you don't give the customer a single option, especially if they are that crappy, unless you have exhausted all possible options. He also looked at my contract and said that my phone was 2 weeks out of warranty so there again there was nothing he could do for me. I had a few choice words for him and walked out of the store, only to re enter to get a phone number for corporate and than leave.

I get home to a phone I can use and call the number they gave me. It was their help line. I talked with the girl on the phone and told her the issue. Come to find out this is an on going issue with this model phone (Android Incredible 2) and they knew of the issues and are offering replacements to those who have the phone. Typically if they are not under warranty they won't replace them but since my phone was 2 weeks past the date she got it overrode by her supervisor. We chatted for a little bit longer and she told me how to activate the new phone when I get it and how to possibly get the old one to charge again, which I was able to finagle.

Once again a happy customer but I did voice my complaint about the specific store I went to and got cold shouldered. I told her it was the 2nd issue with that store I've had in as many visits. The first time it was closing time for them and they turned us away when we wanted to purchase smart phones. We went to another location and proceeded to spend $800-$1000 dollars on the phones and upgrades. She said she would pass the information along and have someone look in to the issue.

Overall a good experience with everything but it has me seriously thinking about getting an Iphone. I absolutely love this phone I have now and just found out they have the Incredible 3 out now with 4G but if they don't offer in store tech support any more what is the point! I would rather have apple and go to their store for a fix and no charge than deal with the headache of sending a phone out for repair or having to buy a new one if it breaks.

I feel your pain, man. Like so many others, I am a verizon customer and I've had a few issues with my latest phone (Motorola Droid X). The camera on this thing is pretty much useless. I'm now on my 3rd phone and it too has a faulty camera. I've come to accept this as a greater problem with my phone's model (I've read that Motorola took some short-cuts in their camera processor, which is why if fails miserably). My phone is an ok phone, but it's a great paper weight.

My verizon customer service experiences are eerily similar to yours. I've never had a problem with Verizon until I got this phone last year. Since then it's been a love-hate relationship. I'm pretty much going to avoid Motorola like the plague from now on.....but I still consider myself and Android fan.

I don't have a smartphone, could live without one, but if the deal is too good to be true, I'll get one my next upgrade. Upgrade, yeah right, I've never been offered a free upgrade which is what it used to be all about. But anyway, almost everyone I talk to can't say enough good about reception/service. Maybe it's a regional thing (D, I know you're in ct too) but it seems like everyone has Verizon.
Glad things turned out for you. I always try to work things out with live people, and stay calm at the same time. It's not worth getting worked up over. Expecially when it's obvious they can't/won't help you. Then, a call to corporate works all the time, 90% of the time. :cheer:

I've been a Sprint customer since 1998 and neither hate nor love them but I have been given great treatment ONLY when calling my 'rep'. I don't do business in ANY of the Sprint stores.

My great customer service story is this:
4 or 5 years ago our whole family went on a 7 day Alaskan cruise plus 3 days on land. I called Sprint and told them what ship and where we were going and they emailed me exactly what ports they had service in telling us not to use the phone while in the water but ONLY when docked as the ships turn off their service so that customers can use their phones. This info was also given to use by the cruise line.
Enter a teenage boy who just has to talk to his girl as much as possible. However, he followed orders and only spoke when the ship announced their service was off and we were at port to use our phones.

I get home and weeks later get a bill for an extra $1100. I blew up! I called Sprint and they took off the charges thought they were absolutely positive the ship did not turn off their service and many others were likely charged as well.
Didn't matter as I wasn't going to pay it anyway.

That's a great ending. I know that's how they make their money, but how much did it actually cost the company to reverse those charges? It sure is a lot easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.

Great story Beer-lord. I've been a Sprint customer for many years and they have provided the best value for me and my family for data and dollar value.

As for the iPhone - I still have my old version 3 iPhone with AT&T with an unlimited plan (they were the only company with the iPhone when I got mine). I have no plans to replce it. I wonder about even getting an iPhone Ver. 5 when it comes out or any smart phone. I do not use most of the online features of the Ver. 3 phone anymore. I have an iPad 2 and use that instead. I think I might just drop the phone for a cheap phone with a cheap plan. I'm almost back to just needing a phone just to use s a phone.

Sometimes when I talk on my Iphone, I drink beer.

I have a AT&T reTardo phone. They only last a year (with a 2 year contract) before they wear out. Do I get a replacement? no... claims fair wear and tear.. buy a new one phart head.
Considering I got my phone and my wifes phone the same day, same place, same contract, I find it funny I can upgrade in March, but she can't until August.

I must have BO really bad, because when ever we go in, they are timeing each other to see who can shove us out the door fastest.
AT&T sucks.

D Rabbit you have a HTC Incredible 2?

We got those for work, like 60 of them about 6 months ago and had no real problems that I know of with them.

I am not a Sprint fan ever since they tried to bill me for other peoples calls since they issued my account to someone else and they ran up a $1500 bill that Sprint tried to make me pay, the collections department almost got me a huge settlement due to harrasment. I was inches away from sueing them. (BTW I am not a fan of sue happy USA, the reason once the wrong billing was settled I let it go)

I was really looking into providers since we needed new phones and add my son to the plan.

I finally got a nitch plan for 3 phones with only me having unlimited Talk/Text/Data and the other two have limited plans total bill $80 per month. for the same plan from other providers = Verizon was $112 for the service, AT&T was $126, US Cellular was $120

Not sure how the others can charge $32+ more for same service I get, I am thinking lots of people have too much money to burn and they are willing to just pay anything and the cell companies know it

--- Edit ---

I should add I had to buy the phones, no discount since I did not sign a two year deal but saving $32per month the phones will be paid off in less than 1 year (My android was the most expensive but was still under $200)

Just got the Droid 4 and I love it. I was due for an upgrade the week before the new data plans went into effect so Im grandfathered in for 2 years under my old plan, so I got that going for me. The humorous part is my abode sits atop a nice hill within a 1/2 mile of a cell phone tower and I can only get recption in the northwest corner of said abode. Its not bad when I sync to WiFi but I find it oxymoronic. other than having to have it for work call I use it to text and play games. The reviews on the Droid 4 were a mixed bag but I find it to be amazingly fast. Its got no fancy processor and Jellybean I dont think is out for it yet.

Verizon sucks, they screwed me on a bill that was paid. A few years back, I had a friend on my plan. Well, she transferred her account to her BF's. I was with him at the store, and he asked "is there anything else I have to pay, other than this final bill?" They said "no, you are all set." Two years later, I get collection notice saying that the bill was never paid. In the meantime, my Capital One credit line got reduced from 5,000 to 1,500, and I couldn't figure out why. When I called Verizon, they didn't have any answers other than that I had to deal with the collection agency. At this point, I decided to cancel my plan with Verizon.

So if there was an unpaid bill, according to them, why wasn't I ever contacted? Never once did I receive a phone call or anything in the mail? Why the F--K did this shit come out two years after the fact? And who the hell saves receipts for two years? I couldn't prove anything, because of not having a receipt from two years prior, so was forced to pay the same damn bill twice. Now, I'm still receiving collection notices from the same damn thing, even though I paid the collection agency. So now I have to send them a letter with proof that I paid it. Such a pain!! This company screwed up my credit, and I can't even get a damn $500 credit card if I wanted one, even though I pay all my bills on time.
Verizon sucks Monkey Balls!!!

"TimeTraveler" post=275484 said:

As for the iPhone - I still have my old version 3 iPhone with AT&T with an unlimited plan (they were the only company with the iPhone when I got mine). I have no plans to replce it. I wonder about even getting an iPhone Ver. 5 when it comes out or any smart phone. I do not use most of the online features of the Ver. 3 phone anymore. I have an iPad 2 and use that instead. I think I might just drop the phone for a cheap phone with a cheap plan. I'm almost back to just needing a phone just to use s a phone.

I have a very small cell phone that does absolutly nothing except for being a phone. I have my iPad 2 for everything else. And I have no regrets. I might get a new droid tablet eventually to supplement the iPad, but I see no reason to get a smart phone. My phone is mostly there so if I get a flat on my bike 40 miles from my house, or I'm trail running or cross country skiiing and fall down a gorge, I can call for help.

Mashani - LOL - that's exactly the reason why I have not yet gotten a tablet. :lol: My phone does just as much as a tablet, and with a 4.3" screen size, it's not much smaller than a tablet (I do need to make sure I wear clothes with big pockets, however). The only complaint I have with my phone is peripheral (camera and VZW)....but I love always having email and internet at my fingertips. Can't imagine life without it anymore. There are some compromises, however. My phone is no longer a phone. It's a computer that has the capability of sending/receiving phone calls. Unless you have the number saved on speed dial, it's a little bit more time consuming to make a call... I manage to survive.

"OikoEco" post=275567 said:

Mashani - LOL - that's exactly the opposite reason why I have not yet gotten a tablet. :lol: My phone does just as much as a tablet, and with a 4.3" screen size, it's not much smaller than a tablet (I do need to make sure I wear clothes with big pockets, however). The only complaint I have with my phone is peripheral (camera and VZW)....but I love always having email and internet at my fingertips. Can't imagine life without it anymore. There are some compromises, however. My phone is no longer a phone. It's a computer that has the capability of sending/receiving phone calls. Unless you have the number on saved on speed dial, it's a little bit more time consuming to make a call... I survive.

I thought much the same about a phone vs a tablet, but I find a tablet much more usable as a laptop replacement (for some tasks). a 4.3 inch screen seems like a lot of real estate for a phone, but it's nowhere near the experience of a tablet. I bought an Android tablet during last year's Black Friday sales and I really like it. It's how I do most of my web surfing and emailing in the evening.

"bpgreen" post=275573 said:

I thought much the same about a phone vs a tablet, but I find a tablet much more usable as a laptop replacement (for some tasks). a 4.3 inch screen seems like a lot of real estate for a phone, but it's nowhere near the experience of a tablet. I bought an Android tablet during last year's Black Friday sales and I really like it. It's how I do most of my web surfing and emailing in the evening.

I should rephrase. I should have said that I can't justify the expense of a tablet given the capabilities of my smartphone. I won an android tablet at work and it's currently in the mail. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But at this point in time, there's no way I'd have one unless it was basically free. Yes, 4.3" is huge for a phone. That's why I don't really consider my phone a phone anymore. Right now it's being used as my office clock and calendar.

"Tabasco" post=275575 said:

Shouldn't this be in Community Drainpipe? 10.gif

Yup! Thought thats where i put it. Obviously Not!

Just found out i wont get the phone till monday. Thought they over nighted it. Would have paid for that.

Yes, the phone is the HTC Incredible 2. I had mine for a year and the charge port started getting loose. A month later and it wont hold the charge. Just keep an eye on it and if you start to notice wiggle when you connect the charger thancontact verizon about it. They know about the issue.... at least the people do that answer the phones for the 800 number. Store people are clueless!

My new phone is an older design and only has a 800MHz cpu with 256mb Ram and 512mb storage.

It does use the 2.3.4 Gingerbread Android OS along with Slide out QWERTY keyboard.

Since I got it for $149 and the 32gb Micro HC/SD(Class 10) as $20 I think $170 for an Android pretty good deal since I don't have to worry about stuck in a contract and since I bought the phone I do not have higherservice cost to cover the phone (I.E. 2 years pay back to provider in contract)

I tell ya look in to some of the new Pay as you go companies, Strait talk and Net10 have Androids and if you auto pay it is only $45 per month for unlimited Talk/Text/Data.

If you buy your phone as an "Unlocked" GSM you can get almost any phone you want .

My son wants an Android and I am looking at giving him mine next year when he gets a little older and upgrade mine to a Dual core phone, I can get one for around $250 now, so and since I save about $35 per month on my phone it will be paid for in less than one year rathr than be with one of the other carriers

I don't understand ipad/tablets yet either. My phone can do everything Id need a tablet to do, and its always in my pocket. So unless I start carrying a purse, the smart phone is better. For other use, a small laptop is much better since I can actually type on it and use it with a mouse at the desk.

I guess it's all about balance and personal preferance. I'm not so sure this internet thing is going to take off, so I'll stick with my phone phone. :P

"Gluek" post=275634 said:

I don't understand ipad/tablets yet either. My phone can do everything Id need a tablet to do, and its always in my pocket. So unless I start carrying a purse, the smart phone is better. For other use, a small laptop is much better since I can actually type on it and use it with a mouse at the desk.

In my case, it's a few things...

I don't like poking at small screens. And if I do get in the mood to do so I have an iPod Touch that I can do this with.

Sometimes I have to leave the phone off my person - especially swimming miles which takes some time. Nobody steals my shitty phone when I leave it laying around.

When running/biking, a bigger phone just gets in my way. On my bike it has to fit into a little pouch that no smart phone will fit in. And I do not ever use my iPod when on my bike anyways, headphones on a bike when your going 20-30 mph and idiots try to pass you and turn right directly in front of you thinking your like everybody else on a bike going 12mph is a good way to die if you don't hear them sneaking up on you.

That's basically why...

My take on the android versus iPhone is that if you're the type that gets a phone and uses it as is (aside from installing games and apps) the iPhone is a good choice. If you like to tweak, hack, install modified firmware, then the android is the way to go. I'm not an Apple type but I just got an iPhone with unlimited data as part of my job and I love it. But if I was paying for it I probably would have purchased an android phone since I fall into the group that likes to tweak and modify my electronic gadgets.

Edit - Wow I just became fully fermented! Can't wait to get carbonated!

I can definitely appreciate the benefits of a small phone that's just a phone. I'm a person that likes to tweak, hack and modify my android, and I use it for a lot if things. Somehow a smartphone has become another "necessity" but at times I think it wastes more time than it saves, checking email more frequently, etc.. And until my workplace buys me a phone and pays for service Im not using it for that. As much as I use it, its funny to think about 3 years ago not many people had a smart phone, and I don't think Im any more productive in my daily life than I was then.

...I know were getting off topic now...but hey the topic was in the wrong category anyway ha :gofish: