Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pangous04

BREWSTOCK=PROGRESS

:laugh: Hey folks, proud to say I have been in my first LBHS. Fam and I survived the rain and aquarium. Those were fun, but my heart laid on heading to the little brew shop. I picked up 3#breiss amber DME, 3#breiss golden DME, 3#breiss dark DME, 2oz.Target hop, 2oz. Cascade, 1oz.progress, 1oz.saphir, 1oz.hallertau, 1oz.sticklebract, and 1oz.sovereign. did one brew and currently doing my second. here they are.

Golden lager

TBM Golden lager HME
1#golden DME
hop boil
1oz.Cascade (40min, 15min, 5min)
1oz.Saphir (40min, 15 min, 5 min)
.5-whirlfloc tab. 5 min.
1-muntons dry yeast.
OG-1.090.

any comments?

second was "The Dutch"
TBM Dutch Lager
12oz.amber DME.
Hop boil
.5oz Target hop (40min)
1oz hallertau (40min, 15min, 5min)
.5 whirlfloc tab (5min)
1-6g muntons dry yeast.
OG-TBA

Really amped up about the trip and about the stuff I got. First time being up close and personal with hop pellets. I am using 12 qt stock pot and using 1 gallon water to boil with. Shout out to BREWSTOCK. :banana:

Looks good and hoppy on both. I think you did good on your additions to the TBM mixes.

If you would have stayed an extra day, the rain finally stopped. :)
What did you think of Brewstock? They sure fit a lot in that little, old room don't they? And if you met Aaron, you'll see he's very busy but very knowledgeable and helpful.

Beerlord- all I could say about the weather... threw away my shoes and socks lol. We got to the aquarium around 12 and stayed til 3. Cancelled the riverwalk due to the 100000000% H2O. My kids LOVED the aquarium. Hopefully, when the weather cools more, we will hit the zoo. Now on to the REAL event.
man... all I could say is wish I could have came alone. Love my fam.. but my wife has ZERO exp with the town lol. she drove around a few places while I was in and then just sat in front of the store.... but the store. OMG. I could have dropped another 200 and still not seen all of it. Couldnt really talk much since wife was ready to go. She was scared about the community lol. I grew up in PHX, AZ so I am kinda used to it. But it was "like a kid in a candy store" literally... had to put my pile of stuff on a 50# bag of 2 row. GOD I wish I had an AG set up lol.

Steve- man I hope it jumps up and bites me lol. I am not much a hop head but these hops descriptions and smells while cooking it... so good. The Golden Lager was sampled while I was getting the OG. Was good. Cant wait for it to come into fruition. I bought about 26 kits which equals something that I cant figure out since the alch % has gotten to me lol. I just wanna add zest to the kits. they are ok... but buff them up with more DME and hops... "its in the bag".

update

Its been close to 3 weeks that these two brews been fermenting. I have kept them in ice chests with ice packs around 62-64 F. I took a hydro sample today of both and ended up with 1.030 for both. This is my first time using a hydrometer, so bear with me. I guess I forgot what the OG reading was on the Dutch :( . I will take another sample tomorrow and will prolly bottle them regardless. The Golden Lager tastes nice and citrusy. The Dutch is .... well... cant describe it, but it tastes great.

Bring them up to room temp for a few days. Not sure of what yeast you used but you could be on the low end for the yeast and it may have stalled out. Bring ot up to 70 or so for a few days and see if it finishes off a little lower.

pangous~

If your FG...the gravity you are taking now...is 1.030, it sounds like a stuck fermentation. Meaning, for some reason, it didn't fully ferment. Unless you brewed something really, really big...it should be lower.

For example, I drew up a recipe today with a 1.088 OG and the FG should be roughly 1.024. What that means is that for your FG to be 1.030, your starting gravity (OG) should be above 1.090...a 9%ABV beer.

The next part...I'm not sure about this but it's entirely possible that your brew is fermenting too cool. If that's the case, it would be taking longer to ferment. The yeast would be sluggish/slow to start (referred to as lag in some cases). I'm sure I may get overruled on this...but that would explain it taking longer to ferment. 1.030 if too much for a FG for it to be good/strong/normal fermentation on a regular sized beer (i.e. 4%-6% ABV)

I used a pack of muntons ale yeast on both brews.
the Beginning gravity of the Golden lager was 1.090. Sadly I didnt get the Dutch numbers. There was crazy krausen for about 4-5 days.

Looking up Muntons Ale Yeast I've found 2 things. It does ferment into the high 50s and it has medium attenuation. Unfortunately it doesn't give me much information on its ability to handle higher gravity beers. Based on your low temp fermentation, high OG, and this yeasts medium attenuation potential I will say stuck fermentation too. Like I said previously, warm it up for a fee days and see what happens. You can try pitching some more yeast on it too if you have any. But right now your at 66% attenuation. Not horribly bad but 70-72% would make me feel safer when bottling.

Guest System Admin

I see your Dutch was an OG of 1.090 is the Golden about the same? Were these 2 gallon batches? +1 on what D and Christ872 stated.

Whoops switch the two brews for gravity readings.

Muntons has 2 different yeasts.

In my experience, Muntons standard yeast doesnt like any beer over 1.05 very well unless it has sugar ajuncts. It just tends to get stuck. It's really specially selected for their kits that you are supposed to add sugar ajuncts to. EDIT: If this is what you used, it's probably stuck and it's probably not going anywhere unless you pitch some other yeast.

Muntons gold yeast will ferment high OG all malt beers just fine. It is a totally different yeast, and seems to be a true top cropping yeast so give it lots of headspace. I've had it blow off many times. It's a good English style yeast, bready and a touch spicy, but not fruity like Coopers yeast. It does floc quickly like many English strains, so rousing it is a good idea after a week or so.

Here's a tip I use to help me keep my gravity readings straight, and not tax what little memory I have left (I need that to remember my kids' names).

I just take a wide piece of masking tape and a Sharpie, and on brew day I write down the name of the brew, the date I brewed it, the OG, the projected FG, and the projected ABV.

Then I stick the tape right to the front of the LBK. One glance tells me everything I need to know, and I don't have to remember anything.

Thanks guys.
Was trying to get a good yeast without spending a lot...I am in nursing school so I am cutting some corners. I will do better research on yeast.

Dave- I will def. be doing that. I have 2 kids, nursing school and part/full time lab job... so I need memory cells reserved too.

Off subject, does anyone have any info on what kind of hops/dme used in TBM mixes? When I used hopville I couldnt find any info and just guessed on dme based on SRM. Have no idea about hops, but I am adding more for more taste/aroma.

Ok, so had first taste of both tonight.

Golden lager was a little more dark than I wanted... and the hops flavor is intense. gonna give that a 1-2 week chill out.

The Dutch.... OMG is it good. Taste like a nice rich brown ale. Very smooth with good velvet head and lacing to boot.

Sadly, no pic of the Golden lager... since it went down quick before I thought of it.

Nice work there. The pic looks good.

=============

BTW, I know it's way later, but I have to ask -- is there some reasoning in only using half of a Whirlfloc tablet?? I know that the instructions say to use 1 for a 5 gallon batch, but you really don't NEED to break it in half for a Mr. Beer batch. Is there something I don't know that a whole tablet would be bad?

EDIT: @Christ872, regarding your post above.

There is a threshold where fining agents start to have detremental effects vs. beneficial ones. This might include excessivly chunky "cold break" that forms (sometimes later then expected), which may or may not be a problem depending on your equipment and/or where/when it forms, or reduced head retention, or other things. This also varies depending on what is actually in your wort. So basically the rule of thumb is simply "use as little as you can to get the results you desire".

If you want to read forever to see gory details then see this:

Beer Fining Manual

I stopped by there a couple weeks ago. Bought some bottles, caps, and a capper. Was a really cool place.. can't wait to go back!!

Forgot to post that the Golden lager had a little bit of a salty taste... dunno if that was the hops or the HME. Gonna give it 2 weeks and check it again.

Shanne- they have a sale on their english mild all grain. I am guessing its for a 5 gallon brew. I am prolly gonna get it when Isaac is done raping the coast.