Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manowarfan1

Nutmeg etc for holiday beer

Hi all - been gone a while but still trying to keep brewing when possible. Got a holiday beer kit from Midwest, with nutmeg, cinnamon stick etc.

Says to put them in for last 10 minutes of boil. Doesnt say if they get strained back out but I would imagine they do. So, should I put them in a muslin bag?

Thanks
Jeff

I've never used spices, but I think that would be a good idea. I think you want to remove them prior to fermentation, so the bag would help with that.

Everytime I've used any spice I've used it commando. Just throw it in when it says, don't worry about a bag. You'll be fine.

+1 on commando for the cinnamon. Strain out those cinnamon sticks. As for the nutmeg, I would sack them for ease of clean up.

Jeff,

Mr. Beer's 3 Spice Lemon Weiz recipe contains nutmeg, cinnamon, and crushed coriander. According to the instructions page, you just throw the spices in commando-style once the water boils, stir well, remove from heat, and then add the HME and lemon juice. Nothing about hop sacks or straining.

Your nutmeg should settle into the trub during fermentation. The cinnamon sticks may stay floating, I don't know. If you ferment for a full three weeks, the nutmeg debris should drop out almost completely leaving the infused flavor behind. Prop the front of the LBK up with a CD case or two to help keep the spigot clear, or just use an auto-siphon when you're ready to bottle.

Some feel that you get better flavor transfer by going commando. If it's all bunched up in a hop sack, the spices are confined to just a portion of the LBK. Kinda like when you let a tea bag just sit in a large glass of water... you can see that it's darker close to the tea bag and the water's nearly clear up at the top of the glass. Unless you stir your beer (which we don't want to do), the spice flavor may not be evenly balanced throughout the LBK. Again, that's what some of us believe... others disagree.