Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jernut

To taste my Stout or not?

So I bottle my Stout two weeks ago and was wondering if I should put one in the fridge and taste it and see how it is and then continue doing one beer per week after that and see how it taste over the weeks that past? Or should I just wait it out and let it carb in the bottle for longer. How long should I put it in the fridge for? Thanks for any and all help.

12oz bottles? Go ahead man, see what it's like. It's good to see how your beer progresses over time.
But if your on the big bottles I'd wait a couple more weeks at least.

If you're using 12 oz bottles, then putting one in the fridge for an early sample won't hurt. On the other hand, Stouts can take longer to condition, so if you bottled with liter bottles, then I would suggest waiting a little longer. That way you don't have to polish off a whole liter before it's ready.

Rick

[Edit: yeah...what jive said. :) ]

Guest System Admin

Those are called "Surveillance Beers."

LOL

Trust me on this one (stouts are my go to brew) 2 weeks is WAY to early for a stout. Step back from the bottles and wait another month. Your going to be very disappointed in that first bottle if you try it now. Don't waste what's going to be a very tasty beer.

6 weeks in the MINIMUM for stouts and 3 to 4 months is really the best. Your going to be so much happier if you wait.

I've found most of my stouts (I don't do many) aren't very drinkable until after 5 weeks. I've only bottled so far and plan a stout the next few months and hope that kegging it will yield better results earlier. I don't hold out much hope.
But as has been said, if you try one now, it's a great way to see why patience pays off.

I don't know what was in your recipe, but I brew a lot of stouts, and the ealiest I tasted one was 6 weeks. Green, nowhere near the flavor at 12 weeks. I now wait a minimum of 12 for the first try. The ones at 30+ weeks have aged well. But, this is how you learn. Try it, take down notes, and wait a couple more and repeat.

"k9dude" post=276754 said:

Trust me on this one (stouts are my go to brew) 2 weeks is WAY to early for a stout. Step back from the bottles and wait another month. Your going to be very disappointed in that first bottle if you try it now. Don't waste what's going to be a very tasty beer.

6 weeks in the MINIMUM for stouts and 3 to 4 months is really the best. Your going to be so much happier if you wait.

+1 I've brewed quite a few stouts, and longer is better.

I'm assuming this goes for the Sticky Wicket too? I'll be bottling mine early next week. Didn't think too much of the hydro sample.

The Sticky Wicket is best after at least 3 months in the bottle.

"shanne1020" post=276894 said:

Do smaller bottles Carb and condition faster?

I do not believe so. I've read that kegs can condition a little faster than bottles, but cannot speak from experience.

Rick

Guest System Admin

"k9dude" post=276754 said:

Good to know. Is it the unfermentables that make for the longer conditioning time?

I'll let my Sticky go for a min of two months and only put in a sixer, go to the three month mark and throw in another sixer.

THANKS so much for the responses. I will answer a few questions that folks have asked. The stout is the Sticky Wicket and I did not add anything to it or do anything special to it. I used the 1L bottles. From what I have gathered I should wait 3-4months after bottling to try this stout as it will taste better. I have left my bottles in the same spot I had my LBK in, I hope this is fine? Thanks again for all the info and help and I will post pics of my first pour in a few months! :chug:

When I first started brewing I didn't think I liked stouts, but now they are one of my favorites. As everyone has stated, you probably will be dissapointed after only 2 weeks in the bottle. I have sampled a lot of brews at the 2 week point and some aren't bad, but stouts do need time. :stout:
Edit: As Beer-Lord said, if you do try one now you will be able to tell the difference after some good conditioning time. Good luck and welcome to the borg.

I am in the same boat you are, my sticky wicket is just now reaching 2 weeks in the bottle. I had a bottle last week and it had a strong molasses flavor- needs more time for the flavors to come together.... I am just impatient and a new brewer so I am always trying my beers out early. :stout: