Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KokomoSam

Poll: What Tools do You Use for Recipe Generation

I was wondering what tools people use to generate their own recipes, so I decided to create a poll.

Mostly Beersmith because it's got more tools and since I paid for it, I might as well use it.
I've often used others not on your list as a backup. I think Beersmtih will only improve as time goes on.

Google is your friend. I spend a lot of time researching recipes for the style I would like to make, getting an idea of which ingredients tend to go well with that style, then I use BeerSmith to put it all together.

I use BeerSmith, but I'm also a huge fan of the free BrewMate program.

Guest System Admin

I use both qBrew and Hopville.

Mainly was using qBrew since so good with Mr. Beer recipes. But as doing more I am using both now.

I have played with Brewmate, not used much though

I forgot to add what I use. For recipes that use Mr.Beer ingredients, I use Qbrew. For everything else I use Hopville.

I primarily use QBrew, but have also ventured into using Hopville as well. I've downloaded BrewMate, but haven't tried it yet.

Rick

I use Qbrew and Hopville. I like how Brewmate works, but it seems limited on the choice of grains to enter.

I go exclusively with Hopville. I have 64 recipes on there and I have about brewed about 40-45 of those.

For ideas: Mr Beer's recipes and other sites found through Google. Then to check calculations and keep records: QBrew. Many aspects of taste etc. can't be quantified, so judgment comes in as well as numbers.

Combo QBrew and BeerSmith. But I think I use QBrew slightly more, so that's what I voted for.

I voted for QBrew, but I also use BrewTarget quite often.

And my brain. That thing is usually involved too.

I use a program not listed on the poll; Brew Pal ( http://brewpal.info/ ).
Super convienant, I can make changes on the fly on my iPhone, whether I'm in my LHBS perusing the hop selection, or while I'm weighing out hops on brew day & adjusting for variances on hop alpha %'s.

I just recently started using Hopville to get the raw numbers on individual ingredients, then I take it from there with pen and paper. Most grains are so similar in contribution to OG and same thing for most extracts. 10 AA in any hop is the same as 10 AA in any other, and division and multiplication are pretty simple. I'm not too literal with labels. If it tastes good, I drink it up fast. If it don't taste so good, it takes me longer to drink it up. But it usually tastes good.

"BlackDuck" post=276772 said:

I use Qbrew and Hopville. I like how Brewmate works, but it seems limited on the choice of grains to enter.

You can add grains and other ingredients to the Brewmate program. Click on the edit tab and you can add fermentables, hops, yeasts, all sorts o' stuff.

Qbrew and BrewMate in the past, but recently I have been playing around with the trial version of BeerSmith. I really like it, and I think I am going to buy it.

QBrew is a nice (and free) program. But I like the extra functionality BeerSmith gives you. But it would be nice if they fixed a few bugs.

I'm using QBrew to get a start on a recipe. I'll also use Hopville when I want to do the fine tuning part because it seems to be somewhat more in depth.

I tried the free trial of Beer Smith, but it seemed more complicated than I wanted. Let me make it clear that this is not the fault of Beer Smith, but rather with me. I'm more of a Yellow Pages type, who wants to be able to look up something directly rather than do searches, and Beer Smith seemed more fussy than I wanted to get.

QBrew is more my speed, and since I've been consistently matching their estimates with my efficiency, I'm pleased with it.

I also do some reading up on grains, hops, and yeasts, and if I'm doing a specific style (more complicated than a blonde ale), I'll research recipes for that style to give me an idea of the basics.

I use Qbrew but I bought Beersmith when it was on sale. I haven't done any new recipes since then.

Wow there are more software tools then I was aware of and more people using a combination of tools. Great information to learn about more options.

I"m currently using the old Beersmith, but I'm wanting to find something for my android tablet...

Guest System Admin

Hopville BeerCalculus and BrewMate

I use Qbrew for MrBeer recipies and Hopville on my computer for non MrB stuff. I use Hopville for my original 5 gal batches. But I love IBrewmaster on my Iphone. It lets me keep track of my batches, ingredients on hand and alerts me when its time to bottle or keg. Plus it has a great timer for mash and hop additions.

Beersmith here. Had been using Qbrew but couldn't resist the last sale Beersmith had.

I google for recipes and use Qbrew exclusively to tune them. Im not as advanced as a lot of people, but Qbrew satisfies all my current needs well enough that I haven't even looked at the other ones. Maybe in the future though. What do beersmith and hopville offer that Qbrew doesn't?

"swenocha" post=277004 said:

I"m currently using the old Beersmith, but I'm wanting to find something for my android tablet...

I currently use ProMash and am very happy with it. Swen, if you find something good for your tablet let me know!