Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
TonyK

How much DME to a 3.75lb can of hopped Coopers Ale

Hello All,
I just received as a gift. A 3.75lb can of Coopers Real Ale extract. Question is this, how much light DME should I use to produce a nice drinkable brew. Thanks for your attention. Regards, TonyK

A 3.75 Lb can is going to give you a 6-6.5% ABV....what in tarnation are you going after that you need more DME?

"TonyK" post=276848 said:

Hello All,
I just received as a gift. A 3.75lb can of Coopers Real Ale extract. Question is this, how much light DME should I use to produce a nice drinkable brew. Thanks for your attention. Regards, TonyK

What size batch are you making? LBK, 5 gallon, 6 gallon? That makes a big difference.

DME often comes in 3 lb bags, right?

3 lbs would get you about 4.4% ABV. 6 lbs would get you about 6.5%.

Obviously, you could add some amount in between those. I don't know how highly hopped that is, so I don't know whether you'd need to boil hops with the additional DME or not.

"TonyK" post=276853 said:

im sorry, I forgot to mention this is for a 6 gallon batch

I believe the instructions say to add 2.2 lbs of sugar to that can for a "nice" 6 gallon brew. I'm gonna take a ballpark stab at it and say if it was me, I'd probably add about 2 lbs DME to it instead to make a "nice" 6 gallon brew. That should give you a safe enough tasty beer. After tasting that, maybe next time I'd add a little more or a little less, according to personal taste.