Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Aerek Firebreath

Glass bottle labels.

I've decided to start using glass bottle, I saved a few and bought a caper & caps. Here's my question, does anyone know a easy way to remove the labels and glue from bottles?

I soak them in 1/4 to 1/2 scoop of Oxiclean Free in a sink or large pots of warm water for a couple of hours or so. The labels usually come right off. For those few hard to get off labels and any residual glue I use a scrubber sponge. Did over a hundred in one evening that way.

Guest System Admin

Hot water and soak works great.

Some labels are a lot more work and you need the Oxy-clean

I have an old cooler I fill with hot water and oxyclean. I put bottles in that and forget about them until I have some time to sit down and peal labels. By that time they practically fall off.

"Gymrat" post=276997 said:

I have an old cooler I fill with hot water and oxyclean. I put bottles in that and forget about them until I have some time to sit down and peal labels. By that time they practically fall off.

I do just about the same, I sometimes leave them for weeks at a time and most of the time the labels are floating in the water. Although that long in the oxi-clean sometimes leaves a white residual, but I rewash them just before using.

Maybe it's just the labels on the beer I drink, but I can't get most of mine off that easily. Even after a 24 hour soak, I still need to take a dull knife to them. After that, a little dish soap and a sponge usually gets the rest off. For serious glue removal, I use Goo-Gone.

I use hot water and one-step. I find that Lagunitas and Woodchuck labels are removed the easiest. A lot of the labels end up floating in the water with no effort.

Ah yes, Lagunitas labels come off rather easily. An added perk to the delicious beer.

I have a 20gallon tote that I fill about half full with about a scoop of oxiclean. Soak the bottles. Within an hour or so, most labels fall off on their own. It depends on brand though - some labels are a little more difficult to remove. Like others, I usually let my bottles soak for a long time.

The bottles I use are from Squatters a local beer here in Utah, great beer but the labels refuse to come off! It takes a while but soaking them works, thanks for all the tips everyone.

"Aerek Firebreath" post=277881 said:

The bottles I use are from Squatters a local beer here in Utah, great beer but the labels refuse to come off! It takes a while but soaking them works, thanks for all the tips everyone.

Another Utahn! Where are you? I'm in Farmington.

Aren't squatters bottles screw tops? Uinta bottles are pop tops, but I thought squatters and Wasatch were screw tops.

"smgarrett" post=277030 said:

Maybe it's just the labels on the beer I drink, but I can't get most of mine off that easily. Even after a 24 hour soak, I still need to take a dull knife to them. After that, a little dish soap and a sponge usually gets the rest off. For serious glue removal, I use Goo-Gone.

I hear ya, there is a brand of beer that I like, but I dont buy it much anymore because the labels are so hard to remove.

"Aerek Firebreath" post=278062 said:

Cool I'm not the only Utahan here! I'm from Ogden born & raised. Squatters are pry-off I just re-used a bunch of Hop Rising bottles.

There's a LHBS in Ogden, in case you didn't know. I think it's called Fermentation Station. It's near the train museum and shops. I think it's right next door to the Great Harvest. I'm about halfway between Ogden and SLC but I probably sounds more at the beer nut in SLC (around 1200 S state).

"bpgreen" post=278074 said:

There's a LHBS in Ogden, in case you didn't know. I think it's called Fermentation Station. It's near the train museum and shops. I think it's right next door to the Great Harvest. I'm about halfway between Ogden and SLC but I probably sounds more at the beer nut in SLC (around 1200 S state).

I've heard about it, just haven't had time to check it out yet. I hear Beer nuts is really cool, I need to make it down there some time too.

After soaking and peeling labels the best you can. I use Goo-Gone to remove any remaining label and/or glue. It is sold a lot of places but for sure in Home Depot and similar in the cleaning supply sections. I find this works really well and makes it very easy. Afterwards I rinse them best I can and then run them through the dishwasher with no detergent or rinse agent.

This has worked on lots of bottles, including the pretty blue Bed Light Platinum which looked good with my Blueberry brew inside.

I had some glue still on the bottle after labels were removed - a quick spray with WD40 and rubbed with a paper towel and it came right off. WD40 truly is a miracle worker!

I've never thought to try WD40. I'm actually surprised it works at removing glue, but I'll keep it in mind. So far, the best thing I've found is still Goo-Gone to remove most of the glue, and then a bit of dish soap to remove the Goo-Gone residue. I of course am careful to not get anything inside the bottle.

Get a plastic storage container, at least 3 gallon size and fill it halfway with water then add 1/2 spoon of OxiClean FREE. Get your new bottles and rinse them out under running water before putting them in the container and filling them with solution until they sink. Come back in a week and remove labels by hand and use a plastic ruler to scrap off any glue while under running water.

Don't put WD40 on your poor beer bottles because it stinks, is toxic and will definitely kill your head retention but hey that's just how I think. On the other and OxiClean FREE will clean your bottles in and out while disolving the label glue.

I did a google search on how to remove label residue and it was the first thing that popped up. I was glad too, I didn't have any Goo Gone. It worked super easy, pretty much a quick spray, 10 sec wait and then just wipe off with a cloth.

Okay - lets be clear on this - DO NOT GET WD40 inside your beer bottle. All you need is a little spray on the glue residue and it will wipe right off. Then wash the outside of the bottle with a little soapy dawn dishwater. Smell is gone and never effects the insides of the bottle at all.
I've only had to use it one time and it's never had any adverse effects on the beer.

"georgefh" post=278352 said:

try Ronsonol Lighter Fuel, pure naptha, best way to get any adhesive.

I like your style George. I too used lighter fluid once to get some label glue off. It seemed to work about the same as Goo-Gone.
I remember reading that a solution of water and ammonia will work as well. Has anybody tried that?