Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
slykryck

Finished My Kegerator!!!!

Finished my kegerator today. Converted a refrigerator to hold to 5 gallon corneys. Thanks to a lucky craiglist score, I less than $250 in the setup (excluding the cost of the kegs). :banana:

Now I just have to brew some beer to fill it.

[img size=400]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FDNy-FDkBHA/UByPkm0yQ5I/AAAAAAAAAMs/eIwmad0K4wc/s400/898110246.JPG

[img size=400]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9EMzi-i7D8M/UByPnMPmtWI/AAAAAAAAAMw/rDmqKKYSGxI/s400/634255060.JPG

[img size=400]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0qJIwPF263I/UByRvPuZ_5I/AAAAAAAAAM8/o7WZUnNgwRI/s400/911267118.JPG

Nice job, even has a shelf for bottled brewski's!!! I'll be over when the kegs are pouring! :stout: :gulp: :drinking: :cheers: :popbeer:

Looks good. In addition to the shelf for beer, you've got freezer space for ingredients.

What size CO2 canister is that?

"bpgreen" post=278078 said:

Looks good. In addition to the shelf for beer, you've got freezer space for ingredients.

5lb tank. My understanding is that will get me thru 10-15 corny kegs.

Already got a few bottles on the shelf and some hops and ice bottles in the freezer. Brewing my first 5 gal recipe on Monday, an all-grain amber ale.

Also, question for those with kegerators. Beer lines are 3/16" and 6 feet long. CO2 lines are 5/16" and 3 feet long. None of that should be a problem will it?

"slykryck" post=278085 said:

Already got a few bottles on the shelf and some hops and ice bottles in the freezer. Brewing my first 5 gal recipe on Monday, an all-grain amber ale.

Also, question for those with kegerators. Beer lines are 3/16" and 6 feet long. CO2 lines are 5/16" and 3 feet long. None of that should be a problem will it?

That sounds pretty standard.

Looks good! One thing i did and noticed you did too was put the faucet so high that if you opt for a taller tap handle, youll need to open the fridge to open the freezer. I figured thats not to big a deal. I might fix the two doors on my fridge together so if ya open one ya open the other

"mnstarzz13" post=278091 said:

Looks good! One thing i did and noticed you did too was put the faucet so high that if you opt for a taller tap handle, youll need to open the fridge to open the freezer. I figured thats not to big a deal. I might fix the two doors on my fridge together so if ya open one ya open the other

I considered the height of the taps. I couldn't force myself to mount them any lower. Plus, I really do like the clean look of the simple black handles. That being said, the idea of fixing the doors together to allow larger handles sounds very intriguing. If you decide to do this, make sure to post pics.

Looks great! I will be bottling my second batch later today and the kegs look interesting!

A thing of beauty...Envy is speaking to me. Great job.
[attachment=8601]thumbsuppic.jpg[/attachment]

"slykryck" post=278085 said:

5/16 is standard for gas line. I'm running 5 feet of 3/16 beer line at 11-12 PSI with the set and forget method and get great pours.
This chart will help http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Looks great! The only other thing to do is get some chalkboard paint, and put a few coats on this bad boy. That way, you can easily label your taps!

Guest System Admin

Awesome, you made me jealous! And got me thinking.......

Nice job! I've been looking for a tall fridge with no freezer attached to do one, but those things are far and few between.

That's awesome! I need to start reading Kegging 101 For Dummies. No clue where to begin

"OikoEco" post=278179 said:

That's awesome! I need to start reading Kegging 101 For Dummies. No clue where to begin

The two easiest ways are buying a commercial kegerator and watching craigslist. With the commercial route, you will need to convert from Sanke to corney. You may need to do that if you go the craigslist route, as well.

If you're handy, you can convert any full sized fridge, but only some mini fridges (you need one without cooling coils in the top).

I bought a mini fridge kegerator from home depot, then a while later found a full sized kegerator on a local classified site (craigslist doesn't do much here).

Nice, you're gonna love having fresh draft beer on tap at home and so will your family and guests too. As long as you keep tightening your hose clamps and make sure to eliminate any leaks that Co2 tank will last you for many months between refills.

Eventually you may want to mount the Co2 tank and gauges outside, it's way easier to adjust and takes up less space inside the refrigerator. I mounted my tap in the side instead of goiing through the door, I didn't want to deal with all the tubing ect. each time I had to get something, I'm not saying what you did isn't cool in fact I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Great job now let's get them cornies filled with beer!

"Screwy Brewer" post=278199 said:

Eventually you may want to mount the Co2 tank and gauges outside, it's way easier to adjust and takes up less space inside the refrigerator. I mounted my tap in the side instead of goiing through the door, I didn't want to deal with all the tubing ect. each time I had to get something, I'm not saying what you did isn't cool in fact I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Screwy,
I have considered eventually adding additional kegs/taps. If I built a shelf, I could easily get another 2 kegs in there. I would lose my bottle shelf, but with 4 kegs on tap, who needs bottled right?
I've heard a lot about possibly hitting cooling lines when drilling thru the sides. Was that a concern for you? Is there a method to check for lines?

Very Nice...
Kegerator you designed and built makes even better.
You will love kegging too.

Don't worry about drilling through the side. The condenser lines all run through the back. I did about the same build. I built a custom shelff that fit over compressor hump to fit more kegs. Can't wait to see a first pour picture from it!

"slykryck" post=278245 said:

"Screwy Brewer" post=278199 said:

Screwy,
I have considered eventually adding additional kegs/taps. If I built a shelf, I could easily get another 2 kegs in there. I would lose my bottle shelf, but with 4 kegs on tap, who needs bottled right?
I've heard a lot about possibly hitting cooling lines when drilling thru the sides. Was that a concern for you? Is there a method to check for lines?

Kegs aren't the whole story, I keep space in mine for bottles too, they're just so much easier to take out with me when I go. My newer model refrigerator came with a schematic drawing which showed the walls didn't have any tubing or wires in them only foam.