Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
smooth

Coopers MrBeer, First Try with the new ones.

Started three batches in MrBeer fermenters today, one old style & 2 new ones.

#1 was the old small cans MrBeer PilotHouse Pilsner (plus 1 lb DME), soaked the cans, peeled the labels off, used Nottingham yeast.

#2 was a new Coopers MrBeer Canadian Blonde (plus 1 lb DME), a leaky can so I wanted to use it quickly, Tried soaking and peeling the label off the can, NFW, left the soggy, clawed up label on :-( The can opened great and was easier to clean out the HME, I used the Silver Coopers Yeast packet that was included.

#3 was a Coopers MrBeer Oktoberfest (plus 1 lb DME), soaked the can in hot water and tried to peel the label off, no such luck, left it on, The can of HME was easy to clean out, used the Coopers silver yeast packet that came with the kit.

These are my batches #78, #79 & #80, I'll let you know what I think of the end results.

Great. I've got one of the Octoberfest and would like to follow what you do with it.

My use of the Canadian Blonde turned out excellent.

I couldn't tell from your post...which DME did you use with the Octoberfest? Golden Light? Pilsen? Dark? Something else?

Depending on your fill mark...you're looking at 1.050 marks...give or take a fraction. Should turn out nice.

Thank you?

Light Pilsen DME
I'm trying not to change to much of beer style.
but boosting the body/mouthfeel

on the fill mark I overfill. :-)

"smooth" post=278269 said:

Light Pilsen DME
I'm trying not to change to much of beer style.
but boosting the body/mouthfeel

on the fill mark I overfill. :-)

So, if you say 2.3 gallons...yeah, you're right at about 1.050 OG (5.0%ABV) with that combination. Nice. Should turn out very well. I am interested to follow this and will probably follow your lead, and maybe change the yeast for my own taste.

for the Octoberfest you did...

OG 1.050
FG 1.012
SRM 7
IBU 21
ABV 5.0%

These are the estimates.

Despit what it says, I'd suspect that the SRM will be closer to a 9 than a 7...but it's a fair estimation.

Don't be surprised if this is a bit malt-heavy as you BU:GU ratio is 0.42

Like I said, keep up abreast.

"smooth" post=278235 said:

#2 was a new Coopers MrBeer Canadian Blonde (plus 1 lb DME), a leaky can so I wanted to use it quickly

A leaky can? Whoa. That doesn't sound good. How did it come to be leaking? How long has it been like that? That's an open invitation to bacteria. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I don't want to see you get sick, either.

"Joechianti" post=278339 said:

"smooth" post=278235 said:

#2 was a new Coopers MrBeer Canadian Blonde (plus 1 lb DME), a leaky can so I wanted to use it quickly

A leaky can? Whoa. That doesn't sound good. How did it come to be leaking? How long has it been like that? That's an open invitation to bacteria. I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I don't want to see you get sick, either.

+1

I didn't see the comment about the leaky can in the OP. I'd throw it out. Botulism isn't fun.

The beer is bottled and kegged.
The trub with the Coopers yeast was not as dense and firm as the Nottingham yeast but no issues just a comment.
I'm letting them condition a little longer before I pop a top for a taste test.

Tried the first bottles of the new Coopers/MrBeer beers, a Canadian Blonde and an Oktoberfest.

Canadian Blonde: light aroma, low hops, darker than expected, smooth, slightly sweeter than expected, a good beer. :)

Oktoberfest: small hops aroma, nice light amber/brown color, great hops malt blend, a very good example of an Octoberfest brew. :cheer:

Nice job Coopers/MrBeer!