Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Weinhoffer

Pumpkin Lager

Hey Everybody,
New brewer here. I've made one successful batch with the basic mr. beer kit and now i'm looking to get crazy.

And pumpkins make me crazy. I want to try a pumpkin lager. I have the archived recipe from the MB site that goes something like this:

1 can West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 Can Mellow amber UME
1 pkt dry yeast
1/2 C Brown sugar
1 C pumpkin puree
2 t Cinnamon
1/2 t Nutmeg.

So the non-MR products are not a problem. I cook my own pumpkin every year and freeze it. I am going to use this as the pumpkin base but I need some advice.

Here is what i have:
1 Can High Country Canadian Draft HME
1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 Can Cowboy Golden Lager HME
1 Can Pale Extract UME
2 booster packs

Does anyone see a possible good pumpkin beer out of this? I was thinking maybe the West Coast and the Pale Export but I haven't brewed with all of these before so I am unsure of the flavor profiles.

Thanks for all your help and I am looking forward to letting you all know how it turns out.

RW

Welcome to the Forum.

I have one copied down, have not tried it. Not my recipe (don't remember who's it is), but here it is:

Punkin Porter
Style Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer
Brewer Batch 2.13 gal
Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.067 OG
Estimated FG 1.017 FG
Recipe Bitterness 20 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 6.5%
Recipe Color 13° SRM
Alcohol by Weight 5.1%

Ingredients

Quantity Grain Type Use
1.00 lb Briess DME - Traditional Dark
1.00 lb Briess DME - Pilsen Light
0.22 lb Brown Sugar
1.21 lb MrB. High Country Canadian Draft

Quantity Misc Notes
Mr. Beer Ale Yeast (2 Packets)
2.0 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
16 ounces of Pumpkin Puree

Recipe Notes
-Boil DME past hot break
-Add brown sugar, spices, and LME at flameout
-Transfer wort to fermenter
-Add pureed pumpkin (pureed in blender with water) and mix well.
-Bring wort level up to 8.5 quart line.
-Aerate, pitch, aerate

If we're using only what you have, I'd go with the HCCD and pale UME. If you are willing to work outside of MB ingredients I'd go with something more like what FIT posted.

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the forum, Weinhoffer! You're right. It is time for us to start our Pumpkin brews. Thanks for posting and Good Luck! :borg:

I used something like 21oz pumpkin puree and in my opinion it was too much. Not sure how many oz 1 cup equals. I went by the Mr. B recipe.

Thanks for all of the advise. I think i might have to make the trip to a beer supply store to find the DME. I don't think i can pass on making that pumpkin porter.

Off to a beer supply store and then brewing tonight or tomorrow.

The next one I brew is going to be a pumpkin beer. Aiming to let it bottle condition until late september. I'm going to work with something like 2lbs briess golden light lme, 1lb amber dme, 1lb biscuit malt, MAYBE 1/2 pk booster (depends how I feel on brew day), 3/4 cup brown sugar, 16 oz can Libbys pumpkin puree (unspiced), an ounce of some yet to be decided bittering hop (magnum?), and possibly a few ounces of smoked pecans. Of course, the spices will go in as well (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin pie spice) in very small amounts- maybe teaspoon each. Oh, and US-04 yeasties. Many other threads have stressed the importance of baking the pumpkin first, about an hour at 350, to caramelize a bit and bring out the flavor. Pretty much everything will get boiled, except for the pecan which will be tossed into the LBK dryhop style.

Notice not much MB product going in there. Just not sure that what I have on hand would be a good match... Will let you all know how it turns out, as well as the final recipe I go with.

Weinhoffer,
Welcome to the board.

If you haven't brewed this yet here's mine:
1- Booster
2- WCPA
1- S23 Yeast
19-oz Pumpkin Pie Puree
1/2 cup brown Sugar Packed
2 1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
O.G. 1.052 F.G. 1.014 Brewed: 11 April Bottled 9 May Opened the first bottle about a month ago, it has a kick. I have about four left out of 12 .5L, 2 1L, and 2 12oz bottles.
I would go with KZ and use the HCCD. Good luck and Happy Brewing

Thank you all for the recipes and advice. I went with the pumpkin porter. Thanks FIT.

And it went a little something like this.
Quantity Grain Type Use
1.00 lb Briess DME - Traditional Dark
1.00 lb Briess DME - Pilsen Light
0.22 lb Brown Sugar
1.21 lb MrB. High Country Canadian Draft

Quantity Misc Notes
Mr. Beer Ale Yeast (2 Packets)
1.0 teaspoon Cin.
1.0 teaspoon Ginger
2 C Long Island Wheel of Cheese Pumpkin Puree (homemade) roasted for 45min @350.

I took the DMEs past hard break. Added 1/2 of the cin, the ginger and pumpkin. boiled past hard break for 20 minutes. took off flame. Added remained of spices, HCCD, and brown sugar. mixed to combine. put in keg added water to fill line. Added remainder pumpkin puree. aerated. pitched yeast. aerated. now we wait.

Happy Brewing.

Happy to help, hope u like it. Keep us up to date. B)

Wow this sounds tasty!!! i think after one more rookie batch I'll try something like this to have in time for the holidays!!!!

Guest System Admin

I decided to try one with the pumpkin pie spices, not the actual pumpkin. If it turns out, I'll be sure and post it. If it is bad I won't waste your time.
:cheers:

I made a spiced recipe some time ago, finally cracked one open about a week ago, and it was really good, and very complex.

Here's the starting recipe. I tweaked the spices some (basically cut them all in half).

If I were to brew it again, I'd probably reduce the cinnamon even more. The bite can be off-putting.

Hi everyone!

Question here for the more experienced regarding using actual pumpkin in the beer and not just spice. I've read on other forums the pumpkin needs to be mashed with grains so that it doesnt just add a bunch of unfermentable startches to the wort. Does anyone know if this is true or will just steeping it with specialty grains be enough?

"Bramstoker17" post=280081 said:

Hi everyone!

Question here for the more experienced regarding using actual pumpkin in the beer and not just spice. I've read on other forums the pumpkin needs to be mashed with grains so that it doesnt just add a bunch of unfermentable startches to the wort. Does anyone know if this is true or will just steeping it with specialty grains be enough?

I've never done a pumpkin beer, but if it needs to be mashed, steeping won't accomplish the same thing. Mashing uses enzymes in the base grains to convert starches to sugars. Steeping uses hot water to rinse sugars that were converted through other means.

Thanks for the info bp. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm going to start a new one in Advanced Techniques. Hopefully someone knows for sure!

Hope this helps:
The Pumpkin Lager I made, I pureed the snot out of it with some water and LME, put it into the mix as is. I will say the longer it sits the less the pumpkin flavor is pronounced, but it is a very complex brew. both my O.G and F.G was very close to the original. For what it's worth.