Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elsteve-o

not sure what to brew next

An IPA is always nice, but if you want a good lawnmower beer, investigate a mild or a bitter. They're light, low in alcohol, but very refreshing on a hot summer or early autumn evening, especially after a little physical exertion. They're also a good beverage to accompany a cook-out. Burgers with corn on the cob on the side, and a British-style bitter can't be beat.

for a summer lawmower beer, albeit spendy, I'm kinda liking the mexican cervosa now. Nice n light, grows on ya.

I'm an IPA fiend but for summer, cream ales are popular.....light and easy to go down.
Wits and Saisons are popular this time of year as well.

Yea, I'm getting to love IPAs too, that's why I'm planning a IIPA ag next, but sounds like he wants a lawnmower brewski.

I finnished off my IPA and have a Wit Beer and a Bitters that I m currently drinking. All of them have been good summer beers. However, you will be pushing the start of Fall if you brew something now and wait the appropriate time for it to carbonate. You might want to start an amber beer or an Octoberfest brew at this time.

I would love to tell you how this is http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/
but I only brewed it last week. I checked the FG while bottling a stout today and it's spot on at 1.008. That will make it 4.3%
From everything I've read it will make a great lawn mower beer and the sample taste confirms that, but then again you can NEVER go wrong with an IPA.

I just drank the last of the AG light lager lawnmower beer that I made a while back. Quite tasty. If you're down for AG, this may work for you. If you're not down with AG, you could replace the grains with pilsen or light LME/DME and the corn with corn sugar. If you're not down with lager, you could do notty at a cool temp...

Mr. B sized batch...

2.00 lb 2-Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.64 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.32 %
1.69 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 36.03 %
0.10 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.10 oz Pearle [7.70 %] (60 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager

I imagine I'd do the following if I was doing an extract/grain steep:

2.25 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 61.54 %
0.25 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.75 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 30.77 %

Swen, that almost looks like a cream ale recipe, what with the corn and all. Or maybe an American Lager, along the lines of the BMCs, but with a little more body.

Sounds good.

Good call... It was actually the BYO Schlitz pale lager recipe with some minor hop/yeast modifications to account for what I had on hand... ;)

BYO called for Cluster and Fuggles for 60 min and no flavor addition, FWIW. Their grain balance was also a bit different, and I used the lager yeast I had reharvested, while they called for a lager yeast that is more suited for a pale lager (though the bock yeast worked just fine).