Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chance drums

BAD WYEAST?

Hello fellow brewers.
I ordered the new MUNICH MONSTER and brewed yesterday. When I recieved my package, (I LIVE IN THE DESERT) all the entire contents including the liquid yeast package were very HOT from temp outside. Concerned I immediatly put them in the fridge for an hour. Do you think that it may have killed the yeast? I have never used liquid yeast before and after following the directions of popping the bag inside and letting it sit for 12 hours before adding to the wort. It just seems dead inside the wort. Its the Mr. Beer Keg and with no co2 monitor....its hard to tell if it is brewing. It looks like all the yeast is just sitting at the bottom doing nothing.
HOW DO I TELL IF IT IS DEAD?
Should I go ahead and add dry brewers yeast or wait it out? Any help would ROCK! :cheers:

120 degrees? Phaq, it's 67 here, DO NOT envy you!!

If the yeast got that darn hot, they dead or seriously strained. How long has it been since u pitched?

If u see no activity after 3 days, no trub forming on the bottom, I would pitch some new yeast for sure. If you don't have an LHBS nearby to get some more yeast, pitch 3 fromunders, if u have them. I would certainly contact MrB customer service in the morn, maybe thay can get u some new yeast with an icepack in the mail asap? Worth a try.

Did you order the ice pack with the yeast? Most suppliers won't ship it cold unless you spend the extra 75 cents for the ice pack. They are well worth the money. If you ordered without ice and it's 120 out there, I'd bet they're dead cells by now.

If I had known that, I would have paid that after I paiad 40 for the recioe with shipping........Ill contact Mr> Beer tmmrw. There seems to be trub on the bottom. Just still seems pretty dead compared to other brews in the past...so maybe its ok....will see

A beer fermented slowly after a long drawn out fermentation will eventually lower the wort's gravity and stop, what that beer would taste like is the issue though. Where the final gravity ends up will likely be a lot higher than the final gravity reached with a good pitch of healthy yeast.

It takes a while but most brewers eventually realize that brewday is more about the yeast than anything else. I would at least made a starter to see how the yeast reacted after 36 hours. The main things to look for after that point would be cell count, color, smell and taste. Trust me if the yeast went south you would smell it and not want to taste it.

The cell count can be estimated based on the look and color of the cells and the volume based on a visual of the amount of yeast in your flask and what was shipped in the package. An example would be a vial of White Labs yeast containing 100 billion cells in a two liter starter should yield about double the volume or 200 billion cells.

It actually is working fine.....my first time using the liquid yeast. yes, the package did expand but not fully which on the package said is and was fine. The yeast did not smell bad at all when I pitched it......so I may have been blessed to have saved it before to long:)
:cheers: :stout: :woohoo:

"Chance drums" post=279905 said:

It actually is working fine.....my first time using the liquid yeast. yes, the package did expand but not fully which on the package said is and was fine. The yeast did not smell bad at all when I pitched it......so I may have been blessed to have saved it before to long:)
:cheers: :stout: :woohoo:

Good to hear. I also ordered this recipe and it sat on my Texas doorstep in the 100 degree weather for a few hours.

Let us know how the beer comes out, the recipe looks great.