Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
boiler47

My 2nd batch tastes bitter

I just tasted my second batch which was American Devil IPA and it is very bitter. My first batch was the Wicked Monk and it did not have the bitter taste. Is the American Devil IPA suppose to have the bitter after taste? I did taste the first bottle after only leaving it in the refrigerator for one week instead of two. If I leave the remaining bottles longer in the refrigerator will the bitter taste be reduced? Any help is much appreciated.

Michael

"boiler47" post=279608 said:

I just tasted my second batch which was American Devil IPA and it is very bitter. My first batch was the Wicked Monk and it did not have the bitter taste. Is the American Devil IPA suppose to have the bitter after taste? I did taste the first bottle after only leaving it in the refrigerator for one week instead of two. If I leave the remaining bottles longer in the refrigerator will the bitter taste be reduced? Any help is much appreciated.

Michael

Wheat beers are typically lightly hopped. An IPA is a highly hopped beer. So it's going to be quite a bit more bitter. Some of the bitterness will fade over time.

Welcome aboard. Yes, the IPA is supposed to be bitter. That's kind of what makes it an IPA. All IPA's have a high bitterness amount. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's because of the bitterness, but I really like an American Pale Ale, which is close to an IPA, just not as bitter. The bitterness might tone down a wee bit if you let them condition for a while, but it's probably not going to reduce it much.

Thank you all for answering my question. I am going to leave the bottles in the refrigerator awhile longer and see if the bitterness is less. I don't think I'll brew anymore IPA's though but I am going to go ahead and drink this batch. I cannot see throwing out any kind of beer unless it is spoiled.

"BlackDuck" post=279611 said:

Welcome aboard. Yes, the IPA is supposed to be bitter. That's kind of what makes it an IPA. All IPA's have a high bitterness amount. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's because of the bitterness, but I really like an American Pale Ale, which is close to an IPA, just not as bitter. The bitterness might tone down a wee bit if you let them condition for a while, but it's probably not going to reduce it much.

I predict you will abandon the pale ales in favor of IPAs over time. It is inevitable, resistance is futile.

"willsr" post=279965 said:

"BlackDuck" post=279611 said:

I predict you will abandon the pale ales in favor of IPAs over time. It is inevitable, resistance is futile.

Good prediction....but not likely to come true. Been drinking beer for a long time and still don't care for the heavy bitterness, just my personal taste. Kind of like green beans for me. I didn't like the them as a kid, and still can't stand them!!!

That's funny! Reminds me of a conversation at work yesterday with one of my co-workers (young novice homebrewer), who was taking an informal poll of people's favorite beers. When the fourth person mentioned an IPA, he made a comment along the lines of 'what is up with you old people and your IPA's?'. :chug:

I just wanted to update you all concerning my bitter IPA. I have now drank 3 bottles and some of you were right. I think I am aquiring a taste for it. As a matter of fact it kind of taste good. :)

Guest System Admin

You will be assimilated!