Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

Oxygen Regulator & 2 Micron Diffusion Stone

Well my FedEx delivery arrived and I now have the Oxygen Regulator and 2 Micron Diffusion Stone form Rebel Brewer. I picked up the $10.00 oxygen tank from Home Depot this morning and now I just have to figure out how to attach the 1/8 hose barb on the regulator to the 1/4 hose barb on the diffusion stone.

Does anyone out there have a solution? I couldn't find an adapter at Home Depot that would do the trick.

My solution would be to call Rebel Brewer and ask them why they sent you incompatible components. Their customer service has always been good for me.

"oly" post=280525 said:

My solution would be to call Rebel Brewer and ask them why they sent you incompatible components. Their customer service has always been good for me.

Yep, good idea. I'll wind up calling them tomorrow. Thanks.

If what you are saying is that the barb is larger than the hose. Boil some water, turn off the heat, soak the hose for about 20 seconds and it should slide over the barb.
Be careful and don't touch the stone with your bare hands. I have read that the oils from your skin can clog it. Don't know for sure if it's true, but why take chances.

Ok, just looked at your OP and went the Rebels site. I belive 1/8 line for the regulator end and the heat trick will work to get the line over the stone end.
I put a 5/8 hose over a 3/4 barb for a immersion chiller I made using the heat soak method.

"Inkleg" post=280551 said:

If what you are saying is that the barb is larger than the hose. Boil some water, turn off the heat, soak the hose for about 20 seconds and it should slide over the barb.
Be careful and don't touch the stone with your bare hands. I have read that the oils from your skin can clog it. Don't know for sure if it's true, but why take chances.

Ok, just looked at your OP and went the Rebels site. I belive 1/8 line for the regulator end and the heat trick will work to get the line over the stone end.
I put a 5/8 hose over a 3/4 barb for a immersion chiller I made using the heat soak method.

I called them today and they said to do basically what you've posted. The guy on the phone was nice enough but admitted he didn't know why they don't have a 1/8 to 1/4 connector, neither does my local Home Depot. Guess another little DIY project is in my future but that's fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for sanitizing the stainless diffuser stone? If I custom fit the vinyl tubing and clamp it on tight boiling the stone isn't an option so I was thinking a good StarSan soak.

I just give mine a good starsan soak, with a quick couple blast of O2 while it's soaking. I bought my regulator at my LHBS and his came with an inline HEPA filter, stone and tubing. I asked him if the filter was necessary and he said yes because the O2 that you get at home depot are not food grade? Anyone else use a filter in their setup?

Mine has a filter on it, that's how it came. There are clamps at the regulator and filter but not at the stone. The 1/8 hose stretched over the 1/4 barb seems to hold it tight.
I just toss most of the hose and stone into the Star San and let it soak while I'm doing other things.
I wish my hose was stiffer (insert your joke of choice here) just to make sure the stone was on the bottom. But I guess O2 into wort is O2 into wort be it top, middle or bottom.

What is more expensive the HEPA filter or the stone? The stone will actually filter out at 2 microns while most home use HEPA's are set to filter out 3 microns and larger. While the O2 in the canisters is not food grade, your stone will filter out exactly what the HEPA filter will filter out which will only be particulates that are 3 microns or larger. If there are any other gases (which is what might actually make it non food grade) you are not filtering that out. Plus a pure O2 environment is pretty harsh for just about any living organism so you don’t have to worry about filtering out any live organisms. The only use for the HEPA would be to keep the stone alive longer, at least that I can see, and that is only if the canisters have a bunch of dust in them which I don’t believe they do. I could be wrong. You do see the HEPA filters used when you use the aquarium pumps for more obvious reasons.

I have used mine (a 2 micron) for three batches without a HEPA filter and haven’t had any problems.

+1 for the Star-San soak with a few surges of O2 while in the star-san to keep to stone cleared. Also keep the O2 flowing before, during, and after removing and placing the stone back in the star san when oxygenating your wort. Seems to me at least, that if you don’t let the wort sit on the stone, it has less chance to get itself too far into the stone to clog it.

I have heard however diligent that you may be keeping the stone clean, you sometimes do have to boil them to clear them if they clog. You may want to find a better way to allow yourself that option if it should come up.

I've been eyeing these things, but I think I'd get a .5 micron stone. 3 micron filter, 2 micron stone, those things just make my biologist brain think "buggers in my beer!". It would also likely make my O2 last longer since it wouldn't be able to just blow a ton of O2 through it in a second. Even .5 isn't really small enough, but I think anything smaller would be difficult to deal with.

"mashani" post=280748 said:

I've been eyeing these things, but I think I'd get a .5 micron stone. 3 micron filter, 2 micron stone, those things just make my biologist brain think "buggers in my beer!". It would also likely make my O2 last longer since it wouldn't be able to just blow a ton of O2 through it in a second. Even .5 isn't really small enough, but I think anything smaller would be difficult to deal with.

Yup bacteria can be smaller than .5 microns. However I will still sleep soundly knowing that my 2 micron stone will not kill me and the .5 micron stone is not doing much more to protect from bacterial infection.

Besides the whole world is full of bugs, some of them are mighty nice to us as well. None of us brews in a 100% sterile environment. With common sense and standard procedures to minimize contamination anyone can brew beer. Honestly every time I try a new bottle of something I made I am amazed that yes...even I can make beer.

"drgnfli00" post=280753 said:

Yup bacteria can be smaller than .5 microns. However I will still sleep soundly knowing that my 2 micron stone will not kill me and the .5 micron stone is not doing much more to protect from bacterial infection.

Besides the whole world is full of bugs, some of them are mighty nice to us as well. None of us brews in a 100% sterile environment. With common sense and standard procedures to minimize contamination anyone can brew beer. Honestly every time I try a new bottle of something I made I am amazed that yes...even I can make beer.

Oh, you can brew beer without any kind of commens sense sanatation... our ancestors did it all the time... tastes more like a gueuze or lambic then what we make, but it's still "beer" technicaly. I know about buggers in my beer. I have had plenty of them. I'm drinking a buggered beer right now (brett infected IPA).

I'd just like to minimize them from unknown sources like random cans of oxygen, unless I really want them. I didn't want this brett actually, but it just flew in through the window LOL.

+1 to O2 lasting longer - I have a 0.5 micron stone, and still using my first tank after 15+ batches.

and actually, bacteria are bigger than 0.5 micron in size. In fact, pharmaceutical manufacturers routinely monitor particulate sizes in 0.5 and 5.0 micron size, with the 5.0 micron being the one they are most concerned about as a particle of a 5.0 micron size could be a viable (living) organism. We actually monitor such that all particle larger than 5.0 microns show up in the same "bin" as a 5.0 micron. That means a count of a 5.0 micron particle is COULD either be a viable organism, or something big enough to support a viable organism.

Which is why I said you need a 0.5 micron filter to remove most bacteria. That's why I saId the 2 micron stone with a 3 micron pre-filter bug me, there are critters that will get through that. A 0.2 micron fitler would be even better, that should get nearly 100% of bacteria. Luckily most bacteria that is that small is of a type that will die during fermentation process and not infect your beer.

You need something more like a .003 micron filter to get rid of all types of viruses, but those won't infect or live in your beer, and good luck blowing air through it without it shooting off the end of your tubing LOL.

In reply to lylecox....

True...just as it is true that some bacteria are smaller.

Mycoplasma = .1 microns.

Although it looks like mycoplasmas like to live in us more than wort or beer. It seems they are also responsible for many infected lab experiments due in part to their small size and difficulty keeping them out of the lab.

I’m sure the stone permeability was not designed around filtering out bacteria although it is certainly a nifty bonus.
If someone asks me which stone is better I will say the .5 micron simply because it does the best job of getting the O2 into your wort not because it will prevent bacteria from getting into your wort more so than the 2 micron.

There are types of lactobacteria and acetobactera (which are beer infectiing organisms) that are less then 2 microns. But I know of no such beasties that are less then 0.5.