Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Witherow

carbonation problem

My batch of Cervesa is rather flat.is it wise to uncap bottles and add some sugar?batch primed the first time and have since replaced scale.

Need more info. Is it the new MB-coopers recipe, or what are the ingredients? How much priming sugar? How long since you primed? Temp of conditioning room?

"Witherow" post=280565 said:

My batch of Cervesa is rather flat.is it wise to uncap bottles and add some sugar?batch primed the first time and have since replaced scale.

What the hell are you telling us son? :laugh: :drinking:
BTW welcome to the Beer Borg. :cheers:

"Witherow" post=280565 said:

Welcome to the Beer Borg.

OK, let's start with how much sugar you added in the batch, how long it's been priming for, and the temperature you have your bottles at. Also, did your beer taste sugary?

As for re-opening your bottles and adding more sugar, I don't know. I haven't been in this situation yet. I've heard that post-priming can be a real pain. Plus, you're exposing your beer to more oxygen, which isn't too good at this stage.

Basic Cervesa recipe. tasted good. 2.2 oz of corn sugar for 1 cup of water.

conditioned for 4 weeks at 72 degrees in bottle after 3 in LBK

Amount of sugar looks right, as well as temp. Walk us through your batch priming procedure. Something there may be the culprit.

Do you see a sediment layer in any of the bottles?

Allowed sugar solution to cool and poured into bottling LBK. Autosiphoned beer to bottling LBK. Mixed with sanitary spoon and bottled. Sanitized as usual. Bottled some in plastic and some in glass. A little sediment present

I don't know if it's the Florida humidity or sunshine, but I had a similar problem when I starting bottling. It turned out I simply wasn't using enough priming sugar, even though I was using the calculators trying to figure out residual CO2 levels and all that. It looks like you are using about 13 teaspoons for eight 1-liter bottles. From reading your post they've only been in the bottle for 1 week? Give it another week or two then pop one in the fridge for a couple days. For me, I increased my priming sugar (also using corn sugar) to 16 teaspoons (2/bottle) and it's worked like a charm.

As far as opening up the bottle and adding a little more sugar and/or fresh yeast, I tried it and it didn't work. I eventually borrowed a friends corny keg and CO2 bottle and force carbed my first three batches.

Sounds like you did everything according to plan. Give it some additional time at room temp. It just may be lazy...

I brewed a batch in mid May using the Mr Beer yeast and it is now just getting to the point where it tastes good. Just take that into consideration. Try one every other week until it gets to the point where it tastes good. Hope this helps.