Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mzweier

Cantaloupe IPA?

I have made a few batches of beer now and all have been very basic and come out good but I was talking to a bartender at work and we thought of making a Cantaloupe IPA. The flavors of it seemed like it would make a great mix. Does anyone have any ideas or tips on how to begin this process? Of course I will keep you all posted on how this turns out (hopefully with a recipe posted at the end.)

In theory, you could get you some of the Cantoloupe fruit into a sanitized blender and grind the bizness out of it until you get a nice smoothy/paste consistency. Add this with about 4 to 5 days left in the fermentation.

You could boil it, but then you need to be real careful about straining just the wort into the LBK.

==============

With something of this consistency, my concern would be about having goup clog the spiggot

Guest System Admin

I can't even fathom that taste combination.

I'd do a google search...I know there are 'melon' IPA's out there, but I don't know how the melon flavor is achieved. Probably at least in part, if not fully, via the hops (i.e. hops such as Citra give off a lot of tropical fruit flavor).

Cheers!

Creative for sure. How about a cantaloupe wit beer? That I can fathom.

Nelson Savaun hops combined with T-58 fermented around 72-74 degrees, and you will have more cantelope and passion fruit and grape flavors then you can shake a stick at without actually using cantelope. With some black pepper and cloves mixed in for fun. If you use 3787 and ferment it that warm then you'd amp it up 50% more. Underpitch the 3787 and it would push it to holy #*$ll.

Not a fan of fruity beers, but as you see, many are. Good luck with the creation.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!!

Don’t try it!!! Why not??? Come on...where is the adventurous spirit?

For a test run get your favorite IPA and add some Midori to it. Find out if the combination is to your liking. If you like it by all means go for it!

I will say a wheat/wit might be a better option only because the melon flavor is so slight it might get buried with whatever hops you use. Plus it’s going to be tougher to clear with fruit (unless you use a finning like super kleer) and a wheat by default will be cloudy anyway. Personally I don’t give a rip about clarity and I don’t chase clarity rather I just want my beer to taste good.

The only question is how to get the cantaloupe into your beer? Add it to the mash like the pumpkin recipes do or add it to the secondary after primary fermentation is done? I’ve done blueberry wheat and added frozen blueberries right to the secondary and racked on top of them. As with many fruits beers the flavor was very subtle which I would imagine would be the same issue with the melon. Worst case scenario you make a fruit beer that doesn’t have much fruit flavor and comes out closer to your base style.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the pro breweries use an extract. As I am sure some will attest to, extracts can be very hit or miss as far as how authentic they taste.

Good luck!!!

Thanks, I knew I should not have opened this post.... I threw up in my mouth a little... does not sound good, just my opinion.... do what ya want, u have to drink it.

Ok, I'll play the daring game...

If I was actually going to try this using fresh cantelope (which I am not LOL), all I have to say is the thing is covered with things that will want to ferment your beer along with your yeast and they *are* going to get into the flesh when you cut it up no matter what you do.

So I would wash it, cut it up, wash it more, put however much I was going to use in a blender along with a bunch of vodka, pulverise it, and let it sit for a day in the vodka. That should kill most stuff that will want to ferment your beer that isn't your yeast of choice.

Then use that to brew with, or my more preferred way would be to just leave it in the vodka for a week in a sealed container shaking it every so often, and then strain out the vokda which will now be cantelope flavored, and then use that vodka as your "extract". EDIT: I'd pitch that extract in after primary fermentation was over so you keep as much of the cantelope flavor/aroma in the beer. "Dry Melon" as such, except it's not dry LOL.

But like I said in a post above, you can get plenty of melon flavors from yeast choice and hop choice, I know because I've done it.

Could you roast the cantaloupe like people do with pumpkin?

I'm not interested in trying it since I lost my taste for cantaloupes after eating too many too ripe that my grandpa grew.