Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
unkyjack

New LBK is stinky

Hi folks. I'm new to the Forums and looking forward to the arrival of my Mr. Beer kit from Amazon later this week. So, you can put me in the complete noobie category.

I also ordered some additional supplies directly from Mr. Beer, including a spare LBK. Those items came today and upon inspecting everything I discovered that the inside of the LBK has a mild plastic/chemical smell. Because I've read about possible sources of contamination when brewing, I'm a bit concerned it could affect the taste of the beer. The LBK is sitting out on a table right now with the cap off to let it air out.

Is this plastic/chemical odor normal with a new LBK? Is it something to be concerned about? Can anything be done to get rid of it?

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Jack

Hello and welcome to the borg, you came to the right place to learn how to make great beer.
Wash out your new keg with a unsented soap, oxiclean free is a good one, use cold water and rinse good, should be no smell left. Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

If that doesn't work, baking soda and water and letting it sit overnight. PBW works well too.

Welcome to the forum!

All mine came with the new smell too. I wash with oxy - free, sanitize with one step, brew a batch, new smell is gone. They all smell like beer, and how I love that smell.... mmmmmMMM that smell!!! Cann't ya smell that smell!

"FrozenInTime" post=280921 said:

Welcome to the forum!

All mine came with the new smell too. I wash with oxy - free, sanitize with one step, brew a batch, new smell is gone. They all smell like beer, and how I love that smell.... mmmmmMMM that smell!!! Cann't ya smell that smell!

I'm bad on changing from the OT, but couldn't help it. Skynyrd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAPoN8qs0Q

Scary when us old pharts think alike... this was the song going through my head when I typed that.... LOL

Hey, guys, thanks for the help. Just wanted to report -- problem solved!

I went out yesterday and got a box of Oxiclean Free. Filled the LBK with water, mixed in the Oxiclean and let it sit overnight. Today, the odor is gone. Woohoo!

BTW, I'm pretty sure the smell came from the soft, conical/tapered washer that's part of the "new" spigot assembly. The washer has the same odd odor I smelled in the LBK. For shipping, Mr. Beer packs the spigot inside the LBK, with the lid on, so the inside of the fermentor picked up the smell from the washer. But Oxiclean took care of the problem nicely.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, everyone. I appreciate it.

Jack

Thanks Spucky. My Mr. Beer kit arrived today, so I've been unpacking it and checking out the DVD that comes with it. At last, the homebrewing adventure begins.

BTW, my LHBS is having an open house on Saturday. Free samples of their house brews and wines, free food and live entertainment. Plus, of course, lots of tempting homebrew stuff to buy. Should be fun.

Jack

"unkyjack" post=281282 said:

Thanks Spucky. My Mr. Beer kit arrived today, so I've been unpacking it and checking out the DVD that comes with it. At last, the homebrewing adventure begins.

BTW, my LHBS is having an open house on Saturday. Free samples of their house brews and wines, free food and live entertainment. Plus, of course, lots of tempting homebrew stuff to buy. Should be fun.

Jack

DVD? That's new. After you check yr out, let us know what's on it.

The Mr. Beer DVD has eight segments that walk you through the set-up and use of the latest Mr. Beer kits that come with HME only -- no Booster. Peter, the MB customer service manager is the host/talent. The DVD is nicely produced, with good audio and video. It presents solid, basic information that should help almost anyone get started successfully. Definitely for the beginner.

Jack