Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DS Brewery

The Mr Beer Web Site Has Some New Goodies!

Indeed, many have. I predict a Mr. Beer sales spike on September 4th.

Looks impressive. I think MB may get slammed with orders that first week out. I put off my Homebrew order date to reflect the opportunity to get a few of these new refills. Looks like there are lots of options here.

I'm still willing to try things but $21.95 for 2 gallons just seems a bit steep. However, it is good to see they've made some changes....the ABV is up and the yeast is better too.

"Beer-lord" post=281271 said:

I'm still willing to try things but $21.95 for 2 gallons just seems a bit steep. However, it is good to see they've made some changes....the ABV is up and the yeast is better too.

So true. We haven't hit perfection yet with the new product line, but the Craft deals are a big step in the right direction.

An odd aside here- ever since the changes started and we started comparing the new stuff to the old stuff, I see something that confuses me. Okay, not a difficult thing to do, I admit.

The old cans of HME said right on the label, "makes one gallon". Now, I've been calculating the IBU on that can to apply to the standard LBK batch of 2.13 gallons. Does this mean I should have been counting it as less than half of that? If the can siad it will give one gallon an IBU of say 20, then would it actually give an LBK an IBU of less than 10? And if 19 ounces of malt makes one gallon, how much does 13 ounces of booster make? Should we have been only making 1.5 gallons with a standard refill? No wonder we all said it was watery. Am I the only one that was messing the whole thing up by being confused? Had I been smart enough to read the can, I would have used two standard refills to make one LBK and have some mighty fine beer.

"Joechianti" post=281280 said:

"Beer-lord" post=281271 said:

So true. We haven't hit perfection yet with the new product line, but the Craft deals are a big step in the right direction.

An odd aside here- ever since the changes started and we started comparing the new stuff to the old stuff, I see something that confuses me. Okay, not a difficult thing to do, I admit.

The old cans of HME said right on the label, "makes one gallon". Now, I've been calculating the IBU on that can to apply to the standard LBK batch of 2.13 gallons. Does this mean I should have been counting it as less than half of that? If the can siad it will give one gallon an IBU of say 20, then would it actually give an LBK an IBU of less than 10? And if 19 ounces of malt makes one gallon, how much does 13 ounces of booster make? Should we have been only making 1.5 gallons with a standard refill? No wonder we all said it was watery. Am I the only one that was messing the whole thing up by being confused? Had I been smart enough to read the can, I would have used two standard refills to make one LBK and have some mighty fine beer.

Joe, the old Premium refills said makes 1 gallon on the can,hence the need for 2 cans to a batch, the old basic cans like WCPA in the standard and deluxe refills says makes 2 gallons on them, with booster or UME, of course.

"Joechianti" post=281280 said:

Am I the only one that was messing the whole thing up by being confused?

YES

"frogmeat69" post=281283 said:

Joe, the old Premium refills said makes 1 gallon on the can,hence the need for 2 cans to a batch, the old basic cans like WCPA in the standard and deluxe refills says makes 2 gallons on them, with booster or UME, of course.

That does help clear up most of it. I still need to figure out one more thing, since I still have many cans of the old stuff yet to brew. If each can of premium HME says it makes one gallon, and the IBU is stated as 20, then when you use 2 cans to brew 2 gallons, is the IBU for the final product 20 or 40? I've been assuming each can contributed 20 IBU to the full LBK so two cans contributed 40 IBU. I think that's what you get in the description for the refill when you buy them, 20 per can and 40 per kit (20 just being a random example, BTW). Before I go on making screwed up recipes, tell me how it really works. Thanks.

And T8r.... very funny.

[EDIT] - heck, this could explain why there's never enough hops in my brews. I was wondering why so many folks add so much hops when I thought there was already plenty there. I could slap myself for getting this one so wrong.

"Joechianti" post=281290 said:

"frogmeat69" post=281283 said:

That does help clear up most of it. I still need to figure out one more thing, since I still have many cans of the old stuff yet to brew. If each can of premium HME says it makes one gallon, and the IBU is stated as 20, then when you use 2 cans to brew 2 gallons, is the IBU for the final product 20 or 40? I've been assuming each can contributed 20 IBU to the full LBK so two cans contributed 40 IBU. I think that's what you get in the description for the refill when you buy them, 20 per can and 40 per kit (20 just being a random example, BTW). Before I go on making screwed up recipes, tell me how it really works. Thanks.

And T8r.... very funny.

[EDIT] - heck, this could explain why there's never enough hops in my brews. I was wondering why so many folks add so much hops when I thought there was already plenty there. I could slap myself for getting this one so wrong.

If one can has 20 IBUs, two cans have 40 (in a Mr beer sized batch). The IBUs are calculated for a standard batch.

So the generic statement "Makes One Gallon" on the can refers to the malt only, while the IBU rating on the can is for 2.13 gallons? I wonder why they would express it that way, in two completely different contexts, with no clear identification for either of the two. I just have to learn to read what's not written. Time for some refresher courses. I guess another 6 years of high school wouldn't hurt.

The can makes one gallon-ish of 20 IBU beer. Two cans would make 2 gallons-ish of 40 IBU beer. I don't see two different contexts here.

"PatBattle" post=281315 said:

The can makes one gallon-ish of 20 IBU beer. Two cans would make 2 gallons-ish of 40 IBU beer. I don't see two different contexts here.

If one can made one gallon of 20 IBU beer, then two cans would make one gallon of 40 IBU beer or two gallons of 20 IBU beer.

What refill are we looking at? I can plug it into qbrew and see what it says. Or we can look at the description on the website.

The way my simple thinking was working, this would be the same as if I poured one 12 ounce bottle of 5% ABV beer into a pitcher and then added another 12 ounce bottle of 5% ABV beer, I would then have 24 ounces of 10% ABV beer.

See why I need to go back to school?

"bpgreen" post=281327 said:

If one can made one gallon of 20 IBU beer, then two cans would make one gallon of 40 IBU beer or two gallons of 20 IBU beer.

What refill are we looking at? I can plug it into qbrew and see what it says. Or we can look at the description on the website.

It was the same for all of the premium refills, if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, I'm not at home so I'll have to get that info later. And the descriptions for the individual cans of Premium HME and for the Premium refills is no longer on the site. Maybe the Go Way Back Machine can help us look at those descriptions.

I just recall that for the premiums, the description for each can had a SRM and a IBU and the can said it made one gallon. Then the refill kit said it contained 2 cans and that it made 2 gallons and it combined both the SRM and the IBU from 2 cans for that description. And that's the principle that I've been basing all my recipe building upon.

Guest System Admin

bp was right, Joe. You are awesome, but your math got away from you right there.

"Scott838383" post=281339 said:

bp was right, Joe. You are awesome, but your math got away from you right there.

I'm still struggling to grasp it. If one can makes one gallon and is rated at 20 IBU, then 2 cans in one gallon is 40 IBU, but 2 cans in two gallons is still only 20 IBU. But that's not what the description always said. You may have called it, my math has failed me on this one.

The worst part is I do all my recipes with paper and pencil, and I have based them all on the principle that the IBU rating on every can is for a full LBK. I appear to have been shooting myself in the foot. No wonder my poor brews are so lacking in IBU.

Sorry, Scott, BTW, thanks for the compliment. You make me blush.

Might be good beer. But I am concerned it might be similar to a few of the new basic recipes.
So far the only one I thought was good is the Brav Wheat.
The Stout and the Porter are in the bottle due out in a week or so.
Grand Boh Pils is in the LBK as a lager, 2 weeks to go.
The other 2 'lagers' OFL and American Lager are on the shelf. Will brew both as real lagers later.

The cost surely is not worth it to me. Hope to be moving to extract/steep recipes in a few months. I have many old style MRB HME to brew. I found a great deal for 12 cans of ori HME/UME.

I took advantage of the MRB 15% discount as well as the clearance prices. Bought three of the premium recipes and HCCD OFVL WWW HME.

"Joechianti" post=281341 said:

"Scott838383" post=281339 said:

I'm still struggling to grasp it. If one can makes one gallon and is rated at 20 IBU, then 2 cans in one gallon is 40 IBU, but 2 cans in two gallons is still only 20 IBU. But that's not what the description always said. You may have called it, my math has failed me on this one.

The worst part is I do all my recipes with paper and pencil, and I have based them all on the principle that the IBU rating on every can is for a full LBK. I appear to have been shooting myself in the foot. No wonder my poor brews are so lacking in IBU.

Sorry, Scott, BTW, thanks for the compliment. You make me blush.

Stop. You're overcomplicating things.

The cans are intended for a Mr beer batch. I don't know why a can would say you can make a gallon of beer, although you can, I suppose. But everything is predicated on using a Mr beer setup. So the IBUs are based on a Mr beer sized batch.

@Joe:

To figure "IBUs" you have to target a volume.

The Mr. Beer kits are always targeted at 2 gallons.

The old standards 1 can = a kit = IBUs provided for 2 gallons. (IE 1 can of OVL = 23 IBUs in 2 gallons or 46 IBUs in 1 gallon).

The old premiums = 2 cans = a kit = IBUs for 2 gallons. (IE 2 cans of ADIPA = 59 IBUs in 2 gallons, 1 can = 59 IBUs in 1 gallon).

If you think this is complicated, then try to decipher Coopers big kit IBUs, IE they will list a can at 750 or 520 or such, and what that actually means is that's how many IBUs are concentrated into that little volume of syrup in that can, at the volume of the can... (as in if you drank it straight up, out of the can). So then you have to do this math formula to "dillute" those IBUs by pluging the target volume in liters into a formula that I can dig up if you ever need it.

EDIT: btw, FWIW, my ADIPA cans I have here don't say they can make a gallon of beer. They say you need 2 cans to make beer, and to follow the mr. beer instructions. Maybe they changed the labels at some point, my cans are "newish".

As Mike Tyson liked to say, in his high-pitched lisp, "That's absolutely ludicrous". Why would anyone say, in exact words, on a can, "MAKES APPROX 1 GALLON", and then quote the IBU rating for that can on 2.13 gallons?

Don't get me wrong. I'll take your word for it, as I trust you guys. But I'm just saying, why don't they tell ALL of their customers where to find the secret code to crack their "new math" encryption?

I must just need some sleep to get my brain working more logically again. Been a long day. I'm sure when I wake up tomorrow that 2 plus 2 will equal 8, just like it does on the can.

2+2=8??? Damn, I thought it was 5, silly public school edumacation, back to the drawing board for me.

What's the point of adding the LME to the deluxe refills if even the basic refills are all malt? Is it just to boost alcohol or is it a mixture of that and body, etc? I'm trying to decide between the Craft Series Northwestern Pale Ale by itself or the Deluxe version with LME.

I am really liking what I see at the Mr Beer website. The line-up is shaping up to be an impressive selection of interesting brews, in my opinion. When the dust finally settles, it seems there will be something for everyone. So far, I am finding that the new refills result in a much "cleaner" beer, and I am excited about that. I am very much looking forward to trying each and every new refill, as they become available.

I believe the price points will be appealing to new brewers, who otherwise would not enter the hobby due to the expense of elaborate equipment, more complicated procedures, and fear of the unknown. For the rest of us, we'll have to decide if we can justify the price of the new refills - when comparing what we pay for "from scratch" recipes. Personally, I will most likely try and catch the sales. But I am willing to pay a little more for the occasional easy-brew-day.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. Once all of the new Mr Beer products are available, I think the vast majority will be extremely pleased with the end-result of the merger. Out with the old and in with the new, says me. I'm pumped!

I like the new craft series but I also noticed that they have removed the link for the UMEs. Now I love to boost up my beers ABV with those. Guess I'll go have to concentrate on getting LME and DME elsewhere.

"Ryjaz" post=281552 said:

I like the new craft series but I also noticed that they have removed the link for the UMEs. Now I love to boost up my beers ABV with those. Guess I'll go have to concentrate on getting LME and DME elsewhere.

The LME is coming. It's in bags. They already show pics of it in the Deluxe Refills, I think.

I like the standard refills and the craft refills combined with the LME in the deluxe kits! It appears that they have matched the LME type to the style of beer. I think the price is a little high when you break it down per bottle, but I am willing to spend a little extra for a hobby and the ease of producing my own craft beer. I know that AG would be less expensive and I am sure that it would be tastier, but for the newbie this is a great starting point! :stout: :stout:

I'm going to wait until everything is in and when Mr. Beer tells us this is all of it then I'll try a few. Most likely stick to the craft kits and get the IPA and maybe the Winter Lager.
But, I'm also going to try the other guys kits because I think I should know what's out there.
It's like my AG kits....Midwest, NB and AHS all make them and I want to see which are the best.
Either way, as a homebrewer, you got to like our options!

"dcowboys107" post=281398 said:

What's the point of adding the LME to the deluxe refills if even the basic refills are all malt? Is it just to boost alcohol or is it a mixture of that and body, etc? I'm trying to decide between the Craft Series Northwestern Pale Ale by itself or the Deluxe version with LME.

The point of adding LME or DME or UME to any beer is to add alcohol and malt complexity/body/flavor to the brew.

I have to say that I like the changes they made. This shows what a good company is about, even through changes. I feel that they listened to all of our input, and made improvements. After trying 2 of the basic refills that were sent to me, I felt they were good, but needed just a little more malt and body. Mr.Beer has answered to their consumer's concerns. I'm looking forward to trying some of the new stuff, mainly the craft beer series. I can't wait to see the seasonals, when they come out, if they do.

Oh, yes, seasonals are in the plan, this season was "reformulate-our-malt, increase-our-production-capacity-10X, launch-our-new-product-line, reimagine-and-execute-our-unhopped-malt-product-line, international-merger" seasonals, just to name a few... ;)

But now that we got a goods night sleep and have our LME and DME locked and loaded ( LME shipping by the end of next week, DME getting Packed, bagged and Tagged, hopefully shipping the following week).... We have a world class international team of brewmasters, assembled working on our first seasonal, after a few days of brainstorming, skype, emails, a style and personality was selected, now comes the task to brew something that lives up to our anticipation, we will keep you posted on this...

Everyone ar Mr. Beer is truly excited about our new expanded product line and on behalf of the entire team, I would like to express our appreciation for your passion, your loyalty, and your patience with us as we grow our company serve our customers and quench the thirst for an ever expanding global homebrew market.
Cheers!
MikeB

Guest System Admin

I can't wait! Looks like it's time to place an order :woohoo:

Thanks for the update, Mike. This new line may draw me back into doing some extract brewing to try some of the new ones out...

Guest System Admin

"MrBeerCEO" post=281782 said:

Oh, yes, seasonals are in the plan, this season was "reformulate-our-malt, increase-our-production-capacity-10X, launch-our-new-product-line, reimagine-and-execute-our-unhopped-malt-product-line, international-merger" seasonals, just to name a few... ;)

But now that we got a goods night sleep and have our LME and DME locked and loaded ( LME shipping by the end of next week, DME getting Packed, bagged and Tagged, hopefully shipping the following week).... We have a world class international team of brewmasters, assembled working on our first seasonal, after a few days of brainstorming, skype, emails, a style and personality was selected, now comes the task to brew something that lives up to our anticipation, we will keep you posted on this...

Everyone ar Mr. Beer is truly excited about our new expanded product line and on behalf of the entire team, I would like to express our appreciation for your passion, your loyalty, and your patience with us as we grow our company serve our customers and quench the thirst for an ever expanding global homebrew market.
Cheers!
MikeB

The only thing I am missing is that the NEW listed LME does not have a Wheat LME.

Lookslike you have two - Dark (Robust & Smooth) but skipped the Wheat, which I feel is really needed.
Especially with the Deluxe Refills (the Bavarian Weissbier is using Golden which seems to be "Amber" not Wheat LME)

"Trollby" post=281825 said:

Cheers!
MikeB

The only thing I am missing is that the NEW listed LME does not have a Wheat LME.

Lookslike you have two - Dark (Robust & Smooth) but skipped the Wheat, which I feel is really needed.
Especially with the Deluxe Refills (the Bavarian Weissbier is using Golden which seems to be "Amber" not Wheat LME)

Good observation Trollby... However, we have yet to seethe new DME offerings...

Maybe a wheat or wheat/barley blend there?

:popbeer:

"BigPapaG" post=281837 said:

"Trollby" post=281825 said:

Cheers!
MikeB

Good observation Trollby... However, we have yet to seethe new DME offerings...

Maybe a wheat or wheat/barley blend there?

:popbeer:

The "Golden" is short for "Golden Wheat" and is, in fact, High Quality Wheat Malt Extract, thanks for the feedback, we will make this more clear in the expanded product description on our website.

BTW...This is why it pairs so well with our Bavarian Weissbier and the special Yeast that is matched with and included with our Bavarian Weissbier refill.

Cheers!
MikeB

Trollby,

There are 4 LME's from what I saw on the site and listed in the other topic devoted to this in Basic Recipes.

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/89

The LME softpacks add .55 LBS to the 1.87 LBS weight of the canned HME for a total of 2.42 LBS. They are labeled:

GOLDEN (Bavarian Weissbier)
SMOOTH (Bewitched, Oktoberfest)
ROBUST (Am Porter, St Pats, Winter Dark)
PALE (All Other Brews)

Those LME's should be sold separately soon too. Looks like the upcharge is $3.50 to add the LME to the Craft Series base refills and make them "Deluxe".

Craft Series are 2.86 LBS and Craft Dlx with LME are 3.41 LBS.

It all looks real good. HME's will never be completely out of my plans, so it is nice to have this to wrap my head around.

Sounds good Mike. I really wish you guys would release a Dubbel, much like last year's fall seasonal.

"losman26" post=282126 said:

Sounds good Mike. I really wish you guys would release a Dubbel, much like last year's fall seasonal.

+1 to that. If this beer was on the "menu" I'd be buying a can of it every couple of months. Just sayin...

"mashani" post=282135 said:

"losman26" post=282126 said:

+1 to that. If this beer was on the "menu" I'd be buying a can of it every couple of months. Just sayin...

+1000 Mike, a dubbel would be great in the new lineup...! :)

Cheers!
MikeB

Whoa! I got way behind on this thread. That sounds great, Mike. I wasn't aware that Mr. Beer was planning on coming out with DME also.

BTW...Would the "B" in MikeB stand for "Beer"? If so I guess that would make you, truly, "Mister Beer".

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Hey! It's not every day one gets a chance to poke at a CEO.

Guest System Admin

"MrBeerCEO" post=281984 said:

The "Golden" is short for "Golden Wheat" and is, in fact, High Quality Wheat Malt Extract, thanks for the feedback, we will make this more clear in the expanded product description on our website.

BTW...This is why it pairs so well with our Bavarian Weissbier and the special Yeast that is matched with and included with our Bavarian Weissbier refill.

Cheers!
MikeB

So then your missing the Amber LME??
Maybe Amber in the DME?

The Robust looks like a dark for using in Stouts or Scotch style Ale and the Smooth seems more like the Creamy Brown

I hope Amber is not over looked since lots of good Beers are made using the Amber

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=281998 said:

Trollby,

There are 4 LME's from what I saw on the site and listed in the other topic devoted to this in Basic Recipes.

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/89

The LME softpacks add .55 LBS to the 1.87 LBS weight of the canned HME for a total of 2.42 LBS. They are labeled:

GOLDEN (Bavarian Weissbier)
SMOOTH (Bewitched, Oktoberfest)
ROBUST (Am Porter, St Pats, Winter Dark)
PALE (All Other Brews)

Those LME's should be sold separately soon too. Looks like the upcharge is $3.50 to add the LME to the Craft Series base refills and make them "Deluxe".

Craft Series are 2.86 LBS and Craft Dlx with LME are 3.41 LBS.

Since no explanation was given I though:

Golden = Amber (now find out is Wheat)
Smooth = Creamy Brown (?)
Robust = New style or Dark LME
Pale = Well, Pale

Pure speculation - but if the smooth is meant for red ales or fest biers, then it's going to likely be more like slighly darker version of "Mellow Amber" then creamy brown.
IE Mellow amber with some slighly darker crystal or maybe some more Munich. Stuff like 80L british crystal would be just the thing to turn Bewitched Amber Ale into Bewitched Red Ale.

Guest System Admin

All I can say is YAYYY!!!! I wanna Play! :cheers:

Just bought some goodies from the site! I've been continuously updating the site and just an hour ago or so all the deluxes had been released and the new UMEs! I bought the deluxe American Porter which I'm looking forward to try and I bought 8 more bottles and the golden UME for the Whispering Wheat that I still have but want to go all malt and booster with.

With the WWWB, would anyone recommend the HME, the whole UME and the whole bag of booster? Thanks.

"dcowboys107" post=283649 said:

Just bought some goodies from the site! I've been continuously updating the site and just an hour ago or so all the deluxes had been released and the new UMEs! I bought the deluxe American Porter which I'm looking forward to try and I bought 8 more bottles and the golden UME for the Whispering Wheat that I still have but want to go all malt and booster with.

With the WWWB, would anyone recommend the HME, the whole UME and the whole bag of booster? Thanks.

Thanks for the up-date, I will need to have a look.

I wish the new lineup had something like the old ENB. I loved the brown ales I made with it.

Nut brown ale... Yeah it would be nice to have. But since it's not, and you can now get Maris Otter extract from Northern Brewer, you can make a pretty excellent nut brown if you are up for an extract + steep and a smack pack. Check out the recipe I posted in advanced brewing for an idea.

"mashani" post=283759 said:

Nut brown ale... Yeah it would be nice to have. But since it's not, and you can now get Maris Otter extract from Northern Brewer, you can make a pretty excellent nut brown if you are up for an extract + steep and a smack pack. Check out the recipe I posted in advanced brewing for an idea.

Thanks for the tip. I buy quite a bit of extract from NB anyway.