Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
unused_bagels

How do you name your beer?

:stout: I'm brewing a stout, and it's temporarily called Sub Chief Stout. That's because submariner chiefs are chubby, stout dudes.
I'm not sold on the name.
How do you name your beer, when you make up the recipe?
I know yankeedag names his stuff Nong, does anyone else have names?

Just like raising a pig I'm going to eat, I never name my beers. :lol:

I'm actually not that creative when it comes to names.

Mine are named after my pets. The name of the pet dictates the style not a specific recipe.

Gizmo our tuxedo cat (aka Mr Moes) = Mr Moes Pale Ale
Mya my late hound mix (aka Big Fuzzy) = Big Fuzzys Imperial Stout
Tobias our Sphynx cat = IIPA
Bela will always be an IPA and so on

[attachment=8683]BelasIPA2.jpg[/attachment]

I usually try to name them with a combination of the brewing ingredients and what ever is in pop culture that day.

One of my previous brews was a Witty Monk and I had seen on yahoo that it was Eric Estrada's birthday - I named it "Macho Monk" (no rhyme or reason).

:chug:

Most of my names come from either my siliness or just pops into my mind when I am not thinking about it.
I've been known to steal ideas too!

I just toss a cement block up in the air as high as I can. Whatever sound I hear next is the name of the beer. My last beer is called, "Shit, my balls!"

I try to be a bit witty, or just use things that have meaning for me. I've already named everything I have planned
IPA- Hopwork Orange (A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite films)
Tomorrow I'm working on my Pale Ale for football season, I'm a Bengals fan, so calling it Who Dey(gonna drink this beer).
A chocolate Porter with a hint of coffee I'm going to call Mochahontas
Abockalypse Now Doppelbock (another movie reference/pun)
Spaceballs: the beer will be a (use the) Schwartz
October Can't Come Fest Enough Marzen
etc.

Some I'm still possibly going to change before they hit the bottle as I come up with a more creative name than I've already thought of.

lol Joechianti :lol:

"Joechianti" post=281530 said:

I just toss a cement block up in the air as high as I can. Whatever sound I hear next is the name of the beer. My last beer is called, "Shit, my balls!"

LMAO! Oh, that made my week!

So I looked up Yesterday in history, and I found this,

1780- King Louis XVI abolishes torture as a means to get suspects to confess.

This got me thinking, and one thing led to another, and I came up with:

Cardinal Ximenes' Confession Stout!
[attachment=8684]Spanish-Inquisition-monty-python-13811335-1280-800.jpg[/attachment]
This is now my name for all stouts. This opens up various possibilities, as my next stout will be chocolate raspberry stout, and I'll call it:
Cardinal Ximenes' Sinful Chocolate Stout!

:banana: Yes, yes, now I have it, naming my beer after Monty Python references,and my Oktoberfest is:

Johann Gambolputty de-von-Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crass-cren-bon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelter-wasser-kurstlich-himble-eisen-bahnwagen-guten-abend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwürstel-gespurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-schönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittleraucher-von-Hautkopft of Ulm Lager

Derek,

I hope someday we can meet up and party together. You have an interesting sense of humor.

Joe

My wife names all the beers and makes the labels.
IMG3916-L.jpg

Kind of by chance and now be design, we name most of the beers with movie or TV references.

I look at a beer I ave brewed, and after some serious deliberation, I end up naming all of them:

If I'm making something either with bits and pieces of leftover stuff or substituting ingridents I've taken to calling Cream of Bottom Shelf.....(COBS)
Like Cream of Bottom Shelf Imperial Stout or COBS King's Amber Necklace (which is a King's Nectar mod, and Very tasty I might add)

"mtsoxfan" post=281522 said:

Me too, I usually just label them what they are, pilsner, Irish stout, lemon wheat, etc.

I just number them, except for two that I numbered and named, my PM "Black Frog Stout", and my PM "Hot Slutty Blonde Ale That Gives(a)Good Head".

I mostly only name frankenbiers, experimental beers, or Mr. Beer or other HME based mashups of some sort. I think of words that describe what I'm trying to accomplish and/or the ingredients. I'll toss in German or French or Spanish words for effect LOL.

My regular beers that are always in my pipeline, are just named bitter, mild, patersbier, stout. Boring...

Derek~

I'm in northern Virginia. I'd be up to meet up with you. Seem like a good guy. Whereabuts are you??

==================

I name my beers after ingredients or usually something that pops into my head in regard to whats going on.

I used Pacific Jade as a primary hop in my Imperial IPA - Imperial Jade

I'm wanting to do a cream ale and since I saw the Halo video game I was thinking of - Halo, Reach for a Beer

I also have an IPA that I was also thinking of the Halo video game and a rocket launcher achievement I am naming Heavy Weaponry

I made a beer using 2 of the new American Porter refills from Mr. Beer - I named that Child SupPorter

And I made a beer using a new Canadian Blonde refill that I was thinking of all the beautiful women in Canada and I named that Nordique Hustle

I usually start off name beers in an uncreative yet descriptive manner. I have been playing around with the Northern Brewer rye malt extract recently. The first baseline I created which had about 10 IBUs, used only the rye malt extract and US-05 yeast at a low fermentation temperature so that I could see how it tasted. It was called baseline rye. I made 3 others slowly increasing the hops until I had one that was bordering on IIPA level of hops. The first 2 were just called the 20 IBU Rye and 40 IBU Rye. The 3rd became Kangaroo Rye.

Although sometimes they get named based on looks. I am currently making a raspberry mead for a friend that plays a game in which his people say "Blood for the Blood God". Well the raspberries that were used left it very dark red so then the labels I made up just say "For the blood god" and I am going to bottle it in clear bottles.

"unused_bagels" post=281550 said:

Joe,
I'm in Virginia. Let's.

Sam,

Do you use removable/reusable labels?

I use Beerlabelman's labels. They are easily removable, but I don't consider them reusable.

"unused_bagels" post=281550 said:

Joe,
I'm in Virginia. Let's.

Derek,
I don't get many chances to travel, but if I ever do, one of the top things on my list is to stop and see folks from the Borg. BTW, I'm in Texas. A long way. To answer the original question without joking, I have always named all my beers in the order they were brewed. Should be starting beer 24 today.
Joe

I like to name after favorite places (Planting Ground Pale IPA, Big Stone Ale), pets and family (Stinky Butt Ale, Maximus the Red, Brother Aaron's Red Eight), things that fall or land in the beer (Hair of the Dog Kolsch, Yellow Jacket wheat), weather events on brew day (Thunder Hail Ale), figures of mythology that suit the beer (Jaws of Fenris DIPA). The list of things is endless. Some are not in the least creative though, at least until I get the recipe where I want it (August IPA, May IPA). Funny things that wee relatives say make it into the mix on occasion (Auntie's Butt's on Fire, habanero ale).

I had a good chuckle over Joe's naming process.

Usually the ingredients and style play in to the name for my brews.

Last one I bottled was a wheat beer. One ingredient was grains of paradise. Ended up dubbing that brew "Pair o' Dice Wheat". Before that was an attempt at an ESB. "Better Bitter" stuck for that. A ginger wheat became the "G-Dub" from the initials g and w. Pumpkin beer became "Jack's Lantern". An overly malty Alt was named "mALT". A golden lager with glacier hops became "Golden Glacier", and so on. They almost seem to name themselves sometimes. Of course some stay pretty simple: "Sesame Stout", etc...

I have four beers that I am working on perfecting. One is an American style ale that I have named "Mother Lovin' Freedon American Ale". The second is an IPA that I have named "Responsibly". I named it this for the free advertising I'll get if I ever go public with it. The third is a Kolsch style beer that I named "Reineitsgebot Ale". I'm hoping to get this one to be as close to a pilsner as I can without the use of lager yeast. And the fourth is a stout that I named "I Saw God Today" with the tag line (that I shamelessly stole from Mr. Beer) "A beer so good it's a religious experience".

On a side note:

Hey Derek,

Are you a Bubble-head? I ask because of your reference to sub-mariner Chiefs. If you are let me tell you that I'm an old Dry-Docker. And I'm talking Holy Locke, Scotland old.

I'm in the Chesapeake area, are there any happenin' HB things that go on around here? You should make Master Chief ale or something.

For the Blood God is an awesome name for a beer.

I was thinking "Poin-ted Stick Bananenbier" and an experimental agave mead called "Tiger Requisitttttttte". Anyone got any recipes for either of those?

EDIT

My dad lives in texas. He was stationed in Holy Loch when I was a kid. I'm a Skimmer, myself, and a radioman at that.

Oly, those are hilarious.

Big river, that reminds me of playing dungeons and dragons. "Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!"

3 Buttocks Pilsner
Hell's Grannies Cider
I'm a Lumberjack Maple
Castle Anthrax Blonde
and also, just..
It's
(It's what? What is it?)

Sierra Sunrise started as a description of a certain picture taken from my bedroom window one morning this summer, then I decided that would also describe how I want my red ale to be.

Black Beer's Lair is a play on words for my schwarzbier. So is California Steamer, noting the trademark issue with steam beer (not that I'm marketing anything) and the resulting style name of California Common. My label uses a picture of the SS Tahoe, a steamer from Lake Tahoe history.

"unused_bagels" post=281664 said:

3 Buttocks Pilsner
Hell's Grannies Cider
I'm a Lumberjack Maple
Castle Anthrax Blonde
and also, just..
It's
(It's what? What is it?)

Derek,

You're smile reminds me so much of a guy I dropped out of college together with back in the early 70's. He was a lot of fun, and a really great guy. I'm sure you are too. But thanks for bringing back such good memories with that great smile.

Joe

"unused_bagels" post=281725 said:

Hey Joe,
Stop coming on to me, our you'll make me blush.

What makes you think anyone would come on to that ugly mug of yours, you sorry dog?

How's that? Better, I hope.

Guest System Admin

Joe's final beer will be named, "Looks like that's coming straight for my head!"

I dont name my beers. SWMBO does while i am bottling she reads the list of ingredients and the reson for the beer like when i did a 5 gallon batch for our vacation she named it Anglers Honey ale . I find the fact that she now names them pretty damn funny because when i started this hobby she gave me a lot of grief about brewing beer and how bad it was going to be. But thanks to MRB my beers started out good and have only got better from there so now she helps name the beers and looks for stuff to buy and styles for me to brew. :cheers:

I named the first several and even made labels for several, but mostly now they are named "IPA 12" or "Porter 2" or the like unless it is a clone brew. I tend to name the clone brews as spinoffs of the actual name ("Two Dogs" for Dos Perros, "Twin Ticker" for Two Hearted, etc.) just to remind me what it was spun from...

I name all my beers, but don't aways make a label. I try to go by color and the style. Here's one of my favorite names.

[attachment=8695]EB.jpg[/attachment]
Simple, but to the point.

If I use a MrB HME as a base, I use their name within the name of the brew somehow.

My Pilothouse Pilsner became, "Pilot's Drinks On The House Pilsner" as a jab at the Delta pilots who got busted flying drunk years ago.

My ADIPA was my first attempt at steeping grains so it became "The Devil You Don't Know IPA" after the saying, "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't!"

Not very creative but I feel the need to pay homage to MrB when I use their HME's.

Some of my recipes are given Hat names, like Trilby Brown Ale, White Panama, and Crown Top IPA. I named an Amber Ale after my friend Amber, and sent her some for her birthday. She's a real fan of Amber's Amber now!

Some of them are just named what they are, like Lime Cerveza, or if I used someone else's recipe or kit, I name it that, like the British Bitter I made from a Northern Brewer extract kit.

And some names just come to me, but I figure it's all part of the creative process. I try to have a little fun with the names sometimes, too. I'm hoping over the winter I can brew a nice hearty bock that I'm going to name Big Spider Bock. It's an obscure reference, but it amuses me.

"mtsoxfan" post=281522 said:

Yeah, what's the point in naming your beer, anyway? It never comes when you call it.

My latest brew was an attempt at brewing a Spaten Optimator clone, but more hop-forward, and made with an ale yeast. Hence, the name: "Hoptimator Ale."

"Foothiller" post=281691 said:

Sierra Sunrise started as a description of a certain picture taken from my bedroom window one morning this summer, then I decided that would also describe how I want my red ale to be.

I have a very similar story for my Irish Red, which I named "Summer Sunset" -- it's based on a picture I took a couple of summers ago, and which I used as the basis for the label. (Photo below)

[attachment=8701]Misquamicut-2011_0076.JPG[/attachment]

"genotype" post=282100 said:

I have currently been "borrowing" names from the tv series Firefly

I like the way you think. I have a Browncoat ale in the bottle and a Serenity amber ale on deck.

"KokomoSam" post=282109 said:

I like the way you think. I have a Browncoat ale in the bottle and a Serenity amber ale on deck.

This is a good idea. I forsee a reaver frankenbier in my future.

Frickin' great show and hope to he-ll they bring it back or something like it especially with Nathan & Joss involved...

On topic, I name my brews like the Indians name their kids:

One day an Indian boy asked his father why they have such long names? The dad answers, "Well son whenever a Indian baby is born the father would go outside and name the baby after the first thing he sees...
"two dogs %#@&*!+ creme ale"

"mashani" post=282129 said:

"KokomoSam" post=282109 said:

This is a good idea. I forsee a reaver frankenbier in my future.

Reavers Rye IPA

HAHAHAHA I just spit my drink across my desk when I read this!!!!

You know how Indians name their beers, don't ya?

They name them after the first thing they see when they step out of their tee-pee after getting a batch in the fermenter.

That's how they come up with names like, "Doe In The Tall Grass Pale Ale". "Butterfly on the Daffodil IPA". And the highly unpopular "Two Dogs F***ing Stout".

Hat names, eh? That makes me think of the first episode of Firefly... "Nice hat."
By the way, that picture of the sunset, misquamicut beach, I've been there. It's cold. ?
I bought some label paper at my LHBS, so I can inexpensively make a label in any shape I want.

Great topic. Loving all the beer names too. I've always named my beers by joining two unlrelated things.
[ul]
[li]Alien Goat[/li]
[li]Camel Fish[/li]
[li]Chicken Car[/li]
[/ul]

I just like to see the expresion on people's faces when they ask "What are you drinking?" And I proudly respond "Alien Goat".

While it's conditioning I go into photoshop and try to create a visual representation of the name. Attached is the Alien Goat label I created for my first home brew. I don't have images of the others on this computer, but they are equally surrealistic and absurd.

"BeerSoaked" post=282232 said:

Great topic. Loving all the beer names too. I've always named my beers by joining two unlrelated things.
[ul]
[li]Alien Goat[/li]
[li]Camel Fish[/li]
[li]Chicken Car[/li]
[/ul]

I just like to see the expresion on people's faces when they ask "What are you drinking?" And I proudly respond "Alien Goat".

While it's conditioning I go into photoshop and try to create a visual representation of the name. Attached is the Alien Goat label I created for my first home brew. I don't have images of the others on this computer, but they are equally surrealistic and absurd.

As long as the beer doesn't burst out of my chest after I've drunk it, I'd love to try an Alien Goat!

Don't name my beers. They either taste good, or don't, name don't mean a darn thing.

"FrozenInTime" post=282236 said:

Don't name my beers. They either taste good, or don't, name don't mean a darn thing.

Grumpy Old Man Brewing Company? B) :whistle: :freeze:

"oly" post=282241 said:

"FrozenInTime" post=282236 said:

Grumpy Old Man Brewing Company? B) :whistle: :freeze:

Yea, I feel like a grumpy old phart right now.... grrr... LOL. Starter went out on the WD, had to hand crank it... it backfired as I rolled it over the top... I had a tight grip on.. ever have your phaq'n arm feel like it was rip'd out of it's socket... elbow rip'd out of it's socket... whole arm went numb for 20 minutes... then came the pain... yup, I did cry, it phaq'n hurt like hell..o.. SOOOO, yup, right now, u got it right oly!!

Here's a label I made for my first brew, my "brewery" is named after two of my favorite dogs, thus the Mardi Gras theme, and the name of the beer? Well, I'm in Kentucky and it's....well, self explanatory I guess.

I don't have any specific rules. But I tend to use things like the time of year, favorite bands/singers, album/song titles, recent events, books, that sort of stuff. Here's the label I did for my recent summer ale. I probably don't need to tell you the inspiration behind it.

At first I just used the Mr. Beer names. Now I just use some smart aleck remark or comment I like.
A long time ago I was drinking Oatmeal Stout with friends and I told one to "Shut up and drink his oatmeal".

In June I made the Oatmeal Stout (with some DME and CaraHells Steep) and remembered the night with friends and got this:

[attachment=8759]BrimleyStout3.jpg[/attachment]

Take the name of the street you grew up on and your first childhood pet's name. Oh wait, that's for naming strippers. I generally brew various German styles (family roots run deep), and name it for the town or region it comes from, as well as the style. I have been known to name beers after the family farm though ( case in point: Oakdale's Roggenbier).

"dogsnharleys" post=286992 said:

I ask my dogs..after all they supervise my brewing.

Your going to fit right in.

Mostly all of my beer's get their names based on my fondness of the double entendre. Examples of some of my latest names are 'Clock Struker IPA', 'Screwer In The Rye', 'Bottoms Up Brown Ale' and 'Screwy's 420 Special Wheat'.

I find most of my inspiration for dreaming up those names after drinking a few homebrews or craft beers. I know some folks may initially think those names are inappropriate and other folks may not, but I really get a kick out of telling everyone what's currently on tap.

I name mine after my sex experiences. When I first got married I made an I'm a Stud Pale Ale. Recently I made an Are You Done Yet Stout.

Edit: I can't believe that S*X gets restricted but curse words like fuck dont! (Sorry for the language just doing it to prove a point! :) )

"k9dude" post=287077 said:

I name mine after my sex experiences. When I first got married I made an I'm a Stud Pale Ale. Recently I made an Are You Done Yet Stout.

Edit: I can't believe that S*X gets restricted but curse words like fuck dont! (Sorry for the language just doing it to prove a point! :) )

Are you serious? I just figured people were putting that restricted thing in there as a joke. That's for real?

[edit] - But you do give me some good ideas for beer names.

Young man's beer = "Till My Peter Backs Out Stout'.
Old man's beer = "Till My Back Peters Out Stout".