Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dcowboys107

Just back from the LHBS. . .

I just got back as mentioned to pick up a pound of Briess DME Light Golden and an ounce of cascades whole hops. After the other customer left he asked how he could help me and I mentioned that I had a Mr. Beer kit and was looking to improve a recipe with some more malt and fresh hops. He was pretty cool with it and was trying to explain how all-grain was the way to go and that the Mr. Beer recipes were "crappy" and you won't get anything good after some malt syrup has been sitting in can on a shelf for several months. I told him perhaps that "as is" they could be improved but I was trying my hand at improving my HCCD. So here's my final recipe using qbrew.

I used "Blonde Ale" as the reference style.

I have one can of HCCD
1.25 cups of Booster
1 pound of DME

20 minute boil of a quarter of an ounce of the Cascade hops
5 minute boil of a quarter of an ounce for flavoring.

He was suggesting that I do twenty minutes half an ounce and the last ten minutes add the last half for flavoring but I didn the calculation and it was going to be a bit more bitter than the style had called for. What do you think?

It will have a little more IBU, but don't know what you are looking for. I think I'd like it. You'll get your hop flavors more from the 20 min. boil and more aroma from the last ten min or so. None of the MB's are overly hoppy in my opinion anyways.

That all depends on how much you like hops. I did an estimate on QBrew for the proposed recipe (I fudged the alpha for the Cascade hops at 6.4 since that is what my last batch of Cascades were - it would change the bitterness if what you have is higher or lower). I came up with 41 IBUs which is on the bitter side. If you want it to be less bitter, I suggest cutting back to 0.5 oz in the 20 minute boil.

Here are the estimated results:

Recipe Style (fudged this too since there was no Canadian Draft - used American Pale Ale)
Brewer Batch 2.13 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.069 OG Estimated FG 1.017 FG
Recipe Bitterness 41 IBU Alcohol by Volume 6.6%
Recipe Color 5° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.2%

Ingredients Quantity Grain Type Use
1.25 lb Mr. Beer Booster Sugar Other
1.00 lb Briess DME - Golden Light Extract Extract
1.21 lb Mr. Beer High Country Canadian Draft Extract Extract
Quantity Hop Type Time
0.25 oz Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales Pellet 5 minutes
1.00 oz Cascade - Unmistakable grapefruit aroma and flavor, signature hop of many American ales Pellet 20 minutes
1.00 oz Mr. Beer High Country Canadian Draft Pellet 5 minutes
Quantity Misc

If you're looking for a balanced beer, your initial thought of doing 1/4 oz would be the way to go.

As an aside, I've done nothing but Mr.B stuff, and while I've had some pretty spectacular failures, the vast majority have been good, and my beer drinking circle has a hard time figuring out what their top 3 would be. Brew what suits you and your circumstances.

Just an aside to address the one part regarding the LHBS service person's comments....

The product you are talking about (HCCD) -- he may have a point as to how long that has been sitting in the can. But the simple fact that its been in the can a while doesn't mean you need to uproot everything and go all-grain. Ease into it.

Some of the newer Mr. Beer products (the Coopers/Mr. Beer lineups) are obvious very much fresh. They just released the lineups and I doubt you'd be likely to see anything that was warehoused for 6 months before you got it. Obviously.

Anyway, back to the HCCD...Cascades are a fine way to go, but my talk with the Mr. Beer support line seemed to reflect that Sterling would be more in line with the hops already in there (just FYI). Anyways, you're going with Cascades:

A Blonde Ale's specs are:

OG: 1.038 – 1.054
FG: 1.008 – 1.013
IBUs: 15 – 28
SRM: 3 – 6
ABV: 3.8 – 5.5%

Your recipe shows

1Lb 2 oz HCCD
1 Lb Golden Light DME
12 oz Booster

At this stage you are at:
OG 1.047
FG 1.012
IBU 22 (remember that there is 22 IBUs already in the HCCD)
SRM 4 (as noted by the LHBS guy...I'd suspect that an older can of HCCD would actually carry the color closer to 6 or 7)
ABV 4.7

The addition of Cascades (using Time Traveler's 6.4%AA...which is the same as the Cascades I have too) is really going to put you over the IBU guide.

With all due respect, I'd say F' the guidelines and brew to your taste. Even if you're brewing for a competition/competition feedback...nobody's really going to be splitting hairs between the top end 28 IBUs on the guidelines an 30 or 35. However, I do suspect that once you get closer to 40 or 45 IBUs it might be "noticeable".

Is there a way to measure actual IBUs vs a calculated one based on recipe?
I have to imagine the calculation assumes ideal conditions.

"jivex5k" post=282350 said:

Is there a way to measure actual IBUs vs a calculated one based on recipe?
I have to imagine the calculation assumes ideal conditions.

IBUs are measured by using a process of solvent extraction and by the use of a spectrophotometer.

If you don't have a spectrophotomer, you can always send a sample to Hopunion for their beer analysis services.