Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gluek

Recipe help please - WLP500 yeast

So I want to try making a recipe with WLP500 Trappist ale yeast. Now that's my starting point, it doesn't have to even be in any particular style. If anyone has uses that yeast by all means please offer suggestions.

I have some extra WWW, HCCD, and OVL in stock from previous sales, so I will base it off one of those, possibly adding dme, booster, sugar, hops etc.

Ideas so far:

Mr. B has an archived recipe called trippel tipple, using american blonde and some pale malt and booster, so I thought I could possible get some kind of trippel starting with HCCD.

I could make a Belgian wheat with WWW, light dme, ...booster? orange peel? coriander?

1 can of OVL, some dme/lme, some candi sugar, and that yeast and you have good beer.

You don't need any more IBUs then 1 can of OVL or HCCD in most any beer you would use that yeast in, unless you are brewing a "Belgian ipa" new fangled thing. Authentic Belgian beers are about the yeast, not about the bitter. Higher levels of alcahol combined with lower fgs due to sugar and high carb levels balance the beers.

See "Mr. Quad" thread for an example of how simple a beer you can brew that is can turn out excellent.

I'd use the HCCD and light candi or cane sugar/dextrose/booster if you wanted to go for a triple or strong ale and toss in some extra saaz for flavor.

I'd use the OVL if you wanted to go for a dubbel/quad style.

"mashani" post=282718 said:

1 can of OVL, some dme/lme, some candi sugar, and that yeast and you have good beer.

You don't need any more IBUs then 1 can of OVL or HCCD in most any beer you would use that yeast in, unless you are brewing a "Belgian ipa" new fangled thing. Authentic Belgian beers are about the yeast, not about the bitter. Higher levels of alcahol combined with lower fgs due to sugar and high carb levels balance the beers.

See "Mr. Quad" thread for an example of how simple a beer you can brew that is can turn out excellentindex.jpg.

I'd use the HCCD and light candi or cane sugar/dextrose/booster if you wanted to go for a triple or strong ale and toss in some extra saaz for flavor.

I'd use the OVL if you wanted to go for a dubbel/quad style.

Very good idea. I am doing this when I was making my beer. Excellent. :)

Good stuff... I think my next beer will be using the OVL with this yeast.

abqu, That recipe looks impressive... I wish there were some reviews. But I only have 1 OVL so I think I'll go the adding dme and sugar route like mashani suggested.

Actually I might end up doing more than one style with this yeast.

Btw, getting slightly off topic, does anyone know how long washed yeast lasts in refrigeration?

So I took some advice here and started making this beer using a can of OVL, a pound of light LME, and some candi sugar.

But I added some twists... I am going mad scientist here... This is what happens when I start brewing with ideas in my head rather than a solid recipe on paper... it is probably going to end up as a non repeatable frankenbeer.

I went against advice from other threads and I made some candi sugar.. I'd say its medium brown. I know I could never make the same color and flavor again. Anyway I let it harden and then shattered it, using it the next day when I brewed this. That was 6 ounces. I also added 2 oz dark brown sugar.

I pitched a vial of washed WPL500 yeast without a starter. After about 36 hours krausen finally appeared but fermentation is not especially vigorous. Pitched at about 70° still holding around 70-71.

OG was 1.049

If all that is not enough, when I noticed fermentation slower than I hoped, I took 2 packs of fromunda yeast, boiled in a half cup of water, and haphazardly threw in a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar so I wouldn't water the beer down. I cooled this "nutrient" and poured it in the LBK. The nutrient smelled like ass by the way. (for lack of a better word)

I've come this far, so Im riding this recipe out and hoping it becomes drinkable. I was considering adding raisins, maybe caramelized, maybe to secondary.

Any comments? thanks :chug:

FWIW, if you use a candi thermometer, you can produce candi syrup instead of hard sugar if you wish next time. You just have to control your temperatures right. If you do that carefully and keep track of time then you can try to reproduce the sugar if you like it some other time. But you need to keep good notes.

Anyways, the WPL500 even underpitched should still ferment that beer, assuming what you pitched did have healthy cells and not weird mutants, and your wort has enough oxygen and nutrients to support all of the daughter cell growth that is required. It could even over attenuate. It will likely have somehat exagerated esters (that's not necessarily bad). If you didn't oxygenate it, it might not do as well, but it still should be OK with that low of an OG.

Raisins... chop them up and carmalize them carefully in a dry pan if you wish, and then deglaze it with some vodka - or just add the chopped rasins to some vodka - and then stick that whole mixture in a little jar and leave it sit for a few days, then pitch that into your beer. I'd not just put rasins directly into that beer to finish it, I don't think it's gonna be boozy enough to assure that wild yeast and other things living on the rasins won't decide to take over and eat more of your sugars, especially if your yeast underattenuates.

That's about all I can give you at this point.

Thanks that's good stuff.

I think I will try to caramelize the raisins.

At 72 hours the fermentation activity is still going but not noticeably more vigorous than last night. I thought it would be stronger because the guy that washed the yeast used some in a 5 gallon carboy and it blew off the airlock. But he made a starter and I didn't so that's probably it right there. It was a different recipe too of course, his had a high OG.

I usually stick more to a well planned recipe so Im not sure what this will turn out like, but it smells pretty good right now.

Every beer is differnet, depending on grain bill and OG... being low OG, and using just extracts and sugar, not having huge krausen isn't something I'd stress about. WPL500 doesn't make as huge of a krausen as something like 3787 to begin with.

Your sort of makiing a dubbel like franken patersbier here. It should be tasty I think. You are making me want to brew my next patersiber with a Munich base and some 45L or 90L candi. Mr. Single as such.

So I ended up adding the caramelized raisins, about 4oz like 3 days after brewing, themselves week later transferred to secondary, removing raisins. It got to be 4 weeks after brewing when I bottled it this weekend. Tasted great, FG: 1.012 for about 4.8 abv. This was the second batch I batch primed and first I used a bottling wand, siphoning from the top of the keg, which may have been amistake. I wasn't too smooth with all that. IF I didn't end up contaminating the beer, and/or aerating the hell out of it, it should be good drinking beer lol.

Old thread.. my contamination/aeration worries were unfounded. This turned out to be one of the best I've ever made. Still have a couple tucked in the closet. During the 3-5 month aging period, they've been outstanding. Its brown/red colored, beautiful and clear. Taste is lighter than the color and mellow. Body is pretty thin, but I expected that. Carbonation level is high,so high that I have a hard time pouring a whole 12 oz bottle in a pint glass no matter how slowly I pour. I went for a higher Carb, but possibly it was not quite at it's FG when bottled I guess.

Anyway, great beer. I wasn't as impressed with a Belgian trippel or a wheat I made with this yeast.. the yeast seemed to leave too much flavor. This was near perfect though, so I will have to use WLP500 again after all.